Which airport

I'll take a guess. Prescott, AZ. KPRC

Dave, if you're on short final and you don't know the answer to that, it's WAY too late to help you here!!! Maybe tower can help? :p

gkainz said:
Dave, if you're on short final and you don't know the answer to that, it's WAY too late to help you here!!! Maybe tower can help? :p

Can't tell you what a big help you are!!

Jeff is close, but just a little too far west. Come on y'all, it's not a small place. Dave Taylor needs to keep quiet for just a bit!!

Dave S.

I think it's Chandler, AZ (KCHD), but I haven't landed there in a while. I hit the restaurant since it's around the corner from my office.

KFFA First Flight

NickDBrennan said:
OK - maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing an airport...

Nick:

This is where the runway was when the Wright Brothers flew for the first time. there's a museum there now. There is an airport just to the left of this view where you can land today, but it's not in the pic. Many of us just know what this is and visited in the last year or two to comemorate the 100 year anniversary of flight.

Best,

Dave S.

heh - my dream is to fly there some time for skiing - I've been studying pictures of it for years...in fact, it's my desktop wallpaper!

OK, try this one.... I have one just before touching the numbers, it would be unfair. Thye made me land straight in on this one...sigh.

:)
Nick by any chance is the one you posted 13,793 feet long?

We have a BBS aimed at pilots on the Pacific Northwest that posts one of these from Oregon, Washington or British Columbia every week. They give an e-mail address to send your guesses to so that more people have a chance, then publish who got it first on the picture when the next one is posted. Don't know if I was first this time, but I did recognize the airport. Take a look at http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/ for both the pictures and BBS.

What airport is this?

Bruce - I'm gonna guess Friday Harbor in Washington

X68 :)

Nearby KTIX which has a nice restaurant on the field

Carol said:
X68 :)

Nearby KTIX which has a nice restaurant on the field

18 minutes. Guess it WAS too obvious.

And nice restaurant? I don't know that I'd go that far. OK restaurant, IMO.

Last edited:
Re: Which airport? FFA

Dave Siciliano said:
New post. Which airport now? :blueplane:

Here's a picture of KFFA with the monument and the runway.

Ken Ibold said:
18 minutes. Guess it WAS too obvious.

No, I've just been there recently. On the other hand, the ocean and the assembly building in the picture were helpful. :)

Dave Siciliano said:
Jeff is close, but just a little too far west. Come on y'all, it's not a small place. Dave Taylor needs to keep quiet for just a bit!!

Dave S.

Been busy so just getting to check things out here. Not sure I would have recognized those Franklin mountains or not even tho I landed on that runway twice this week - including 6hrs ago!

Ken Ibold said:
This is probably too obvious, but I am fairly sure no one here has landed there.

I have seen pictures other pilots have taken of that 3 mile runway. But I always wondered, how is it you are allowed to fly that close? Unless I am missing something. I never looked up that area on a sectional so I don't know if there are restrictions.

glpilot said:
I have seen pictures other pilots have taken of that 3 mile runway. But I always wondered, how is it you are allowed to fly that close? Unless I am missing something. I never looked up that area on a sectional so I don't know if there are restrictions.
The runway is at the western edge of the complex. There is nothing to "harm" in the area where you are/were allowed to fly. It's well away from the vehicle assembly building and the launch complexes. The runway itself is completely within R-2934 and a Class D, but both are only effective during Notam'd periods. (R-2932 covers the launch facilities continuously up to 5,000 feet, and R-2933 covers that same area at higher altitudes during launches.)

I haven't been there since before 9/11. Not sure if they've changed policy since then. At that time, and maybe still, they would let you fly as far east as the centerline of the runway. I suppose you could fly over it VFR without talking to anyone if the Class D were not effective, but it has been every time I've been there.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Been busy so just getting to check things out here. Not sure I would have recognized those Franklin mountains or not even tho I landed on that runway twice this week - including 6hrs ago!

Hey Dave. It wasn't the best pic. Kind of a hazy day and the camera picked up more of it than we did with the naked eye (don't know why we say naked eye when wearing glasses, but you know what I mean. :)

Best,

Dave S.

Well, for darn sure, it's not Twitchell's Airport, Turner, Maine.
EDIT: Just to note that, in view of all the other "Which Airport" questions which grew from this thread, my response was to the original post by Dave.

HR

Last edited:
glpilot said:

I have been told, though I have yet to try and confirm it, that I am allowed to call up and get permission to land there to take the tour. If I ever manage to get enough time to fly up there, I'll letcha all know.

Back