Where's the voltage regulator on a PA-32?

systemloc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SystemLoc
Anyone know where this is/how to get to it? The parts and maintenance manuals are crap. In the parts manual, its shown on a picture indistinctly inlaid on the front of the plane, without a clear reference what compartment its in or how to get to it. Unclear if it's forward or aft of the firewall separating the cockpit from the forward baggage compartment. At least I know it's on the port side.

I'd kind of like to know myself. We were searching for mine this summer, but we figured out the field coil was energizing, so we assumed it was okay and turned our attention to the alternator. I'm guessing it's in the compartment with the battery, solenoids, and gear pump, but we didn't get that far.

Anyone know where this is/how to get to it?
Look in your POH under the description of the aircraft systems. If the MM or parts manual doesn't give me any clues on location I'll check there with good success. Some OEMs offer electrical component location lists but I don't think Piper is one them.

I have found them behind the pilot's kick panel on the left side of the fuselage. Next to the pilot's left knee.

While you’re in there make sure the ground cable is clean and secured to the rib properly. I’ve found them loose before. Also a good place to check for any chafing wires. That side panel isn’t exactly easy and therefore doesn’t seem to get removed often. Check everything out well while you’re in there. Also a great time to upgrade to a primo Bogart grounding cable if you’re in the mood to spend extra money:)

Back