Where's the airport you would least want to visit?

My idea of a airport has more to do with how I am treated rather than the difficulty of the terrain or landing strip.

Even a nice airport with great pilot services (free food, including ice cream, showers, and private bed rooms as snooze rooms) can be a pain if the ATC treats VFR flights as if they are intruding on their private preserve.

The tower at Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA) gave me all kinds of pain when I entered their airspace in a C150, and again when I left. But on the ground, I got the red carpet (despite the fact the relatively new line boy had never pumped 100LL -- until I landed he had always done jet fuel.)

I think the airport caters to Hunt Food, Wal-Mart, and Tyson Foods, which have their main offices there. But there is light traffic and it should be a pleasant place to visit.

Last edited:
Yeah, that whole anarchy thing is why it made my list.

I flew in and out of Hargeisa, Somaliland (self declared independent of Somalia) at stopped briefly at the airport in Berbera. Not much activity and we did have to have armed guards with us officially though in practice they didn't really seem needed.

If you were at Pulkovo, the main international airport for the city, terminal 1 (domestic) is a dump, terminal 2 (international) is nicer than many other Russian airports.

The boneyard...yes, they still fly those even today throughout most countries of the former USSR. Here's a pic of the beauty that I got to fly on a while back departing Moscow Sheremetevo. What a joy that ride was. At least the pilots were kind enough to put out their cigarettes shortly after takeoff.

That was the place. We went through the international terminal. I think your picture looks much better than I remember the planes we taxied by. That was almost 14 years ago, so memories are suspect. In any case, when the time to leave came around there were a number of us really happy to see that LH Airbus land.

Back