Where to start training?......again.

bmoeller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedHeadBarron
So it's been about 10 years since I was officially PIC. I placed piloting on the shelf as me and my wife moved, started our family and held our breath as the recession kicked in. Now the aviation beast within is really starting to eat away at me. I yearn to be back in that seat. My 6yr son occasionally asks about small airplanes and if I can fly them. My 3yr old daughter is a mini me. We both look to the sky at the mere sound of any aircraft and is quick to point out the high flying commercials way before I look up..."Daddy! Look! Airplane!".

I'm almost unsure where to start anymore. I was thinking about just loading up on some basics (AIM, FAR, newer student books, charts) and start reading again. Listening to ATC, watching some great flight VLOGs to get use to the jargon again. At some point I'll need to step foot into a FBO and get a CFI, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Any in-house ground schooling suggestions to get this rusty brain tuned up again?

Best thing to do is visit your local FBO/Flight School and schedule a Flight Review with a CFI. May take a few hours to get you up to speed on any new regs, knowledge and of course your flying skills. After getting signed off your ready to log PIC again. Best of luck!

After I retired from the airline I took an online refresher course from Gleim and a Flight Review online course from AOPA just to cover changes and get ready for the flight review. You can print a certificate out and take it with you to get credit for the one hour of ground required by the Flight Review. Both were good courses. Of course you still might want to spend an hour or more with a CFI, just depends on you. Welcome back!

Look at the free FAA publications like the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Find a school and meet with an instructor.

Look over the AIM, then get an instructor,go fly ,you should be ready to go in a few hours.

So it's been about 10 years since I was officially PIC. I placed piloting on the shelf as me and my wife moved, started our family and held our breath as the recession kicked in. Now the aviation beast within is really starting to eat away at me. I yearn to be back in that seat. My 6yr son occasionally asks about small airplanes and if I can fly them. My 3yr old daughter is a mini me. We both look to the sky at the mere sound of any aircraft and is quick to point out the high flying commercials way before I look up..."Daddy! Look! Airplane!".

I'm almost unsure where to start anymore. I was thinking about just loading up on some basics (AIM, FAR, newer student books, charts) and start reading again. Listening to ATC, watching some great flight VLOGs to get use to the jargon again. At some point I'll need to step foot into a FBO and get a CFI, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Any in-house ground schooling suggestions to get this rusty brain tuned up again?

You didn't say whether you had your private cert. or still a student, that might help with recommendations.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! And especially Adam! It's nice knowing others are willing to reach out and help so quickly on this community.

dude at my airport hadn't flown in 20 years. Went up for a refresher/BFR and got signed off in a single flight. A year later (last month) he took the club C172 up by himself. Don't be that dude. :)

Back