Where to move? Upper midwest and beyond...

ArnoldPalmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ArnoldPalmer
Flight training (Instrument) did not go to well around here. Small town in Western MN. An hours drive each way to the airport. Same drive, in opposite direction, for the II. Between work, II's school, family etc etc things did not go well.

Now that the Mrs is done with school, and is almost up on a years experience as an RN we are ready to move. I work as an IT guy; and my long term aviation goal is to be a career CFI, either on the side for FBO or own my own plane and go that route.

What town/cities do you guys recommend for good flying? We are looking primarily in the upper Midwest and midwest.

Just to clarify, not looking for a university program. My college days (as a student!!) Are long over.

Looking for good GA flying - rentals and instruction. Duluth-Superior is one option.. St. Paul maybe... If I knew what was out there for GA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Go north, seems the closer to Canada you get the better off you are.

If you want big city, Seattle is the best

More mellow, Maine isn't shabby, VT is nice too, OR isn't too bad, I've also had a good time in Montana.

I've heard that Lincoln, NE has a great flight school. But I'll let that person respond himself.

Duluth-Superior is one option

When I've flown there, I've always been struck that an engine failure means a choice of landing in dense forest or cold water. Take your pick. No open fields to speak of.

If all else is the same, I'd choose a spot farther south or west where there's farmland, and more GA airports as well.

Michigan has more public use airports than any of the other Midwestern states.

Flight training (Instrument) did not go to well around here. Small town in Western MN. An hours drive each way to the airport. Same drive, in opposite direction, for the II. Between work, II's school, family etc etc things did not go well.

Now that the Mrs is done with school, and is almost up on a years experience as an RN we are ready to move. I work as an IT guy; and my long term aviation goal is to be a career CFI, either on the side for FBO or own my own plane and go that route.

What town/cities do you guys recommend for good flying? We are looking primarily in the upper Midwest and midwest.
for a flying IT guy, Seattle/puget sound area cant be beat.

No one loves their airplanes like Texas.

Lots of good flying days/year, lots of airports, business is booming and people are moving here.

Southwest.....something like 472 sunny days every year here in New Mexico....

If you want to have a steady income instructing, the upper midwest isn't that great as you have a long winter with limited flying opportunities.

Just like anyone else, Fargo Jet Center is looking for instructors. They have an active charter business and based corporate aircraft, so if you want to go beyond instructing, there may be opportunities. Some opportunities for independent instruction, either at the main airport or both of the small GA fields. Several hospitals (2 general, 1 specialty, 1 psych) with opportunities for RNs. We have 3 colleges in town which makes life a bit more interesting than a pure farmtown of similar size.

I personally like Sioux Falls. Weather not quite as rough, although you are going to see more icing there than 250miles further north. Not sure what is happening flight training wise, but between FSD and the Tea airport, there should be some schools. Strong healthcare sector, your wife shouldn't have any difficulty finding work. Oh, did I mention there is no income tax ?

In terms of flying, the Kansas City area is very active. 4 busy GA airports, several schools and weather that supports year around flying. Doesn't qualify for 'upper midwest' I guess. Again, plenty of hospital jobs.

If you're willing to look a little farther west, Billings, MT could be a possibility.

Two 141 schools (complete your training and possible employment) and two regional medical centers which could employ your wife. There's a diverse enough economy to provide IT work as well (financial services, transportation, retail, government services, education and healthcare).

The Northern Plains are higher and drier than the Midwest. Winters are longer but are more cold than wet. The 141 schools (one at KBIL, the other 10 miles west at 6S8) seem to be pretty active year round.

Billings is growing fairly rapidly. It also serves as a trade center for a region with a population of about 500K which encompasses parts of 4 or 5 states. As a result, the city has more services and amenities than most towns of similar size (120K in the city, 170K in the metro area). In addition, MT has no sales tax.

Mark

How about SE WI? Just look for a medium town USA that's agreeable for work. There are several smallish flying schools around, then on the other side potential students.

If you have family and friends you want to be around no sense moving to AZ, though it's an option.

When new to an area I don't mind a little rental time until you figure out where to buy.

The Milwaukee area has plenty of options for what you are looking for.

The CFI who trained me to fly the Mooney said that Georgia had the combination of most VFR days and best business friendly environment. I've never seen so many airports.

Columbus Ohio honestly isn't too bad for flying at least. Several busier class D airports and a bunch of other little fields in the area. Not sure what the CFI market is like but if you can put up with annoying Ohio State fans and unpredictable weather you could do worse than CBus.

Columbus Ohio honestly isn't too bad for flying at least. Several busier class D airports and a bunch of other little fields in the area. Not sure what the CFI market is like but if you can put up with annoying Ohio State fans and unpredictable weather you could do worse than CBus.

We are saturated with CFI's in the Columbus area. I can't get enough students to make a living. Going to a temp agency in the next week or two to get a job. Out of saved money. Can't move right now. Desperate times.

I am not even sure if it is worth it to renew my CFI in April. Thinking about giving it up completely. Bottomless money pit.

David

We are saturated with CFI's in the Columbus area. I can't get enough students to make a living. Going to a temp agency in the next week or two to get a job. Out of saved money. Can't move right now. Desperate times.

I am not even sure if it is worth it to renew my CFI in April. Thinking about giving it up completely. Bottomless money pit.

David

Sorry to hear that. My former instructor said OSU was hurting for instructors. This was a few months ago through. Have you looked into that? If I ever need a CFI at NWF I'll shoot you an email :yesnod:

Sorry to hear that. My former instructor said OSU was hurting for instructors. This was a few months ago through. Have you looked into that? If I ever need a CFI at NWF I'll shoot you an email :yesnod:

Actually, I interviewed with them in August. They decided not to go on with the hiring "hassle" process. Don't know why. Probably too old for them since I am 44. I teach some at CNWF and some in Newark at least. Oh well.

Upon further reflection, despite having a degree from OSU, since I did not go through their flight program, that could be the reason. Don't know though.

David

They don't have enough CFIs through the program to staff the flight school. They hired a few "outside" CFIs right before I finished last Feb.

They don't have enough CFIs through the program to staff the flight school. They hired a few "outside" CFIs right before I finished last Feb.

I figured they were short on people. My only student at CNWF was referred to the club by OSU because they could not get him a flight slot in the clinic. Oh well, their loss, and mine to. I think the CFI shortage will get even worse for them over time.

David

Ya all the universities need instructors now. The question is how many instructors from outside the program will work for them.

5602cde768d8c-2015-09-23-TheClaw-500x150.jpg

ARIZONA AIRPARK HOME • $185,000 • BEST DEAL EVER!Arizona airpark home and hangar on a budget. 1400 sq ft 2 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 43X36 hangar located on the runway at Indian Hills Airpark 2AZ1 at Salome, AZ. Priced at 185K, this is the least expensive home for sale at this premier airpark. Taxi out of the hangar to the paved, lighted 2600 foot runway. Call 928 859 3401 or contact me for pictures. • Contact Paul M. Anton, Owner - located Salome, AZ USA • Telephone: 253 380 3943 . 928 859 3401 • Posted December 16, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

Thanks guys. Going to check out Traverse City and Sioux Falls in the near future. Also added Ashland, WI to the list on a family members recommendation.........

I figured they were short on people. My only student at CNWF was referred to the club by OSU because they could not get him a flight slot in the clinic. Oh well, their loss, and mine to. I think the CFI shortage will get even worse for them over time.
David
David, the flight school at TZR is going away and I don't think there's a CFI on the field at KUYF, so I'd hang my shingle out on the boards at those places for sure.

David, the flight school at TZR is going away and I don't think there's a CFI on the field at KUYF, so I'd hang my shingle out on the boards at those places for sure.

Holy cow! No more flight school at Bolton? First I've heard. I knew the place was headed downhill but dang!

Just to clarify, not looking for a university program. My college days (as a student!!) Are long over.

Looking for good GA flying - rentals and instruction. Duluth-Superior is one option.. St. Paul maybe... If I knew what was out there for GA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you're tired of MN taxes ND or WI are options. But if staying in MN there are lots of options around the Twin Cities. Stick to southwest burbs and I'll teach you out at KFCM!

Back