Where to go out West?

flybill7 said:
Next time you update the list, you might want to add Maryland's Eastern Shore, during peak foliage, at 500 feet. It's list-worthy!

... Bill
Citabria 7GCBC
Essex Skypark, MD (W48)

Nice picture Bill. :)

Is yours the yellow Citabria?

Welcome to the forum. :cheerswine:

flybill7 said:
Next time you update the list, you might want to add Maryland's Eastern Shore, during peak foliage, at 500 feet. It's list-worthy!

... Bill
Citabria 7GCBC
Essex Skypark, MD (W48)

Interesting that one of the most eastern locations, (MD eastern shore) is in a thread of "Where to go out west". Its been a while since I've been back east, but you can't get much farther east than that! :) It is list worthy.

Crabs, crabs, crabs, crabs.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Interesting that one of the most eastern locations, (MD easter shore) is in a thread of "Where to go out west". Its been a while since I've been back east, but you can't get much farther east than that! :) It is list worthy.

Crabs, crabs, crabs, crabs.
I guess if you head west long enough, you'll eventually get there!

PS Fuel at Lincoln, Logan Co (38 nm south of here "AAA") is $2.75. But there Phone line for the card pump is down. Come regular hours, personal check, they take them... :)

Glacier NP; fly into Kalispell, MT (KFCY). With your airplane, fly the park's valleys--spectacular!

Follow the Missouri River in central Montana, through the white cliffs area (read Ambrose's Incredible Journey, a history of Lewis & Clark). I once followed the river 200' above the water for almost 30 min, below cliff leve, wagging wings at the kayakers. Heads up for power lines across the river in a couple of places.

Chico Hot Springs Resort (www.chicohotsprings.com), Paradise Valley, MT, on the Yellowstone River 50 mi north of Yellowstone NP; land at Flying Y, a private strip 5 miles away (they'll pick you up). Natural hot springs (the Yellowstone geothermal system), beautiful scenery, great horseback riding, low cost. They used to close off a 5000' straight stretch of road on request (via a unicom frequency), allowing pilots to land right at the resort--more restricted in recent years (liability issues). I did it 6 yr ago, haven't tried since then.

Sunriver, OR (S21) is one of the nation's premier fly-in resorts. If you think of what "the West" is supposed to be like, based on the movies you saw as a kid, the Sunriver area is it: high plains, meandering river, pine trees, desert to the east, Oregon Cascades to the west. Great golf and biking. Quite inexpensive lodging available.

Sedona, AZ (KSEZ). Everybody knows about Sedona. It may be the most scenic airport environment in the world, but potentially challenging (on top of a mesa, squirrelly winds without much leeway for error).

And as long as you're planning to go to Page, you'll be near Monument Valley. Spend an hour at 500' AGL flying among the monuments; among the most spectacular flying adventures anywhere.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

Hunter

Handsfield said:
Glacier NP; With your airplane, fly the park's valleys--spectacular!

Follow the Missouri River in central Montana,

Chico Hot Springs Resort (www.chicohotsprings.com), Paradise Valley, MT,

Sunriver, OR (S21)
Sedona, AZ (KSEZ).
And as long as you're planning to go to Page, you'll be near Monument Valley. Spend an hour at 500' AGL flying among the monuments;

I've done Glacier park before, it is neat. I think I've heard of Chico, sounds interesting, I wish you could still land on the road. I'll be in the area :rolleyes: . Checking out Sunriver right now on the charts. Sedona might have to wait for my next trip out that way. Monument Valley is a given. Do I have to fly that High?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Barb

One Short said:
I've done Glacier park before, it is neat. I think I've heard of Chico, sounds interesting, I wish you could still land on the road. I'll be in the area :rolleyes: . Checking out Sunriver right now on the charts. Sedona might have to wait for my next trip out that way. Monument Valley is a given. Do I have to fly that High?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Barb

You might still be able to land on the road at Chico Hot Springs. My understanding is that liability concerns led them to stop offering it routinely. However, I was told that on request--i.e., call ahead and let the manager know you are skilled and confident---they'll still do it. The "runway" is east-west and prevailing winds from the south; a 200' hill parallels the south (upwind) side--which can be protective if winds are modest, but creating squirrelly surface winds if stronger; and like all roads the surface is narrow by runway standards, with a close-in drainage ditch on one side. So it's not for the faint of heart! On the other hand, the straight stretch is over 5000' long, so there is leeway to bob, float, and "feel" the wind before touching down. For a skilled pilot, e.g. with mountain experience, it's OK. And it sure is fun; on unicom call the resort sends out vehicles to block the road at each end of the 5000' straight stretch and you taxi literally to ~200' from the front door of the lodge.

All this information is 4 years old, and it is 6 years since I landed (on the road). But give them a call. And if you end up doing it, definitely report back to us! (Anyway, CHS is a great place to spend a day or two, even if you have to land 5 mi. away at Flying Y. One of my 2 favorite fly-in destinations, along with Sunriver.)

Regards-- Hunter

Barb, I sent you an email. you would be welcome at our place for Coffee, overnight. We are not far from Jackpot . Vale Or. in eastern Or. Check your email.

A great book that has a lot of useful information on the Idaho Back country is called Fly Idaho By Hanselman. I am not sure of the spelling of the authors name. It has pictures of the strips you mentioned plus he rates the landing spots plus lots of history. it has Lat long and stuff you could use. Have a great flight.

Bob Bement said:
A great book that has a lot of useful information on the Idaho Back country is called Fly Idaho By Hanselman.

It is a great book. I've been sleeping with it under my pillow for the last 3 years. I was on the Utah Back country Pilots web site the other day and thought I saw that Hanselman had an accident at one of Utah's strips and totaled his 182. He was OK as I recall. It makes you humble because he does have a lot of back country experience.

Barb

You asked originally about some places out West, So a few others might be the flight down the west pacific coast from Astoria to say Newport. Astoria has a neat museum in an old Blimp hanger. McMinville Or. has the museum that houses the Spruce goose and other goodies. Pendelton has some history related to the B25 flights of Jimmy Dolittle and those men that flew them off of the aircraft carrier the USS Hornet in WWII. Someone already mentioned Mt. Saint Helens, and Crater lake. There is an end of the Oregon trail display in Oregon City.Or. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Bob Bement said:
You asked originally about some places out West, So a few others might be the flight down the west pacific coast from Astoria to say Newport. Astoria has a neat museum in an old Blimp hanger. McMinville Or. has the museum that houses the Spruce goose and other goodies. Pendelton has some history related to the B25 flights of Jimmy Dolittle and those men that flew them off of the aircraft carrier the USS Hornet in WWII. Someone already mentioned Mt. Saint Helens, and Crater lake. There is an end of the Oregon trail display in Oregon City.Or. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Actually, that museum in an old blimp hangar is at Tillamook, not Astoria. And, you can taxi right up to it after you land there. Haven't been there in about 10 years, time to go back.

I meant Tillamook, my fingers got ahead of my brain. Easy for me to do. Thanks for the correction.:yes:

One Short said:
That will take me pretty close to Diane’s place
Hey y'all, I had the pleasure of meeting Barb yesterday. She made it to Twin Oaks and we had a great visit. What a cool lady! I hope to visit her in Michigan someday. :) She has a very nice Tripacer too.

Swing into Westwind Air Tours and Charter when you get to Page and say hi!

Barb,

I heard you stopped by...I missed you by 15 minutes. Thanks for swinging by though!! I hope the rest of your flight goes great!!

Jeff

Barb stopped by to check out Miller Memorial Airpark. We went to the Starlite Cafe for ice tea and for her to get a sandwich. We had a nice visit and I took her back to the airport to continue her flight east. She is a great gal. She also has a neat tripacer. :)

Barb,

Sorry we missed you at Cashmere. Pete and I were on the bikes somewhere between home and Minnesota. They told me at work that you called. I feel real bad now.....sniff sniff

I'm home! 24 days and like 75-80 hours, and landings in 19 states. Diana and Bob-thanks for putting up with me. Sorry, I missed you Jeff and Dee. I also had to skip RogerT. I got stuck at Custer SD with rain and still needed to get to Medicine Bow WY before Oshkosh. I got slowed up a little more when a "BIG FRICKING" Bull got between me and my plane at Medicine Bow(free range country). I had to back out of the area and found a couple of guys, a quater mile back, to give me a ride up to the gate. It was too cool. Almost running over a herd of antelope that darted out as I touched down was also kind of interesting.

Barb

One Short said:
I'm home! 24 days and like 75-80 hours, and landings in 19 states. Diana and Bob-thanks for putting up with me. Sorry, I missed you Jeff and Dee. I also had to skip RogerT. I got stuck at Custer SD with rain and still needed to get to Medicine Bow WY before Oshkosh. I got slowed up a little more when a "BIG FRICKING" Bull got between me and my plane at Medicine Bow(free range country). I had to back out of the area and found a couple of guys, a quater mile back, to give me a ride up to the gate. It was too cool. Almost running over a herd of antelope that darted out as I touched down was also kind of interesting.

Barb
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!

One Short said:
It is a great book. I've been sleeping with it under my pillow for the last 3 years. I was on the Utah Back country Pilots web site the other day and thought I saw that Hanselman had an accident at one of Utah's strips and totaled his 182. He was OK as I recall. It makes you humble because he does have a lot of back country experience.

Barb

Do you happen to know which strip ? Thanks

bbchien said:
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!

OK, here goes. Three are from Monument Valley(excuse the bugs on the windscreen, please), then Chimney Rock, Mt Rainier, St Helens and the Columbia River Gorge with and without clouds. Next, some backcountry Idaho and Memaloose OR. and last the bull that stood between me and my plane at Medicine Bow.

Barb

Barb we HAD to have crossed paths. I have a few of the same pictures from my July 9 -> 20 trip. What was your routing?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Do you happen to know which strip ? Thanks

The report was it happened at Dark Canyon, 35miles west of Monticello, UT last year--March15,2004. Encountered a downdraft shortly after takeoff and hit some juniper trees. He and a passenger were OK. Plane was totalled.

Barb

N2212R said:
Barb we HAD to have crossed paths. I have a few of the same pictures from my July 9 -> 20 trip. What was your routing?

I went backwards to you.
Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and back to Michigan across the lake.

We need to find a mutually inconvenient pancake breakfast to visit, to compare pictures.

Barb

I think the picture of the runway at Monument Valley has our caravans in it, up on the ramp!!!!
Great pics....sounds like you had a lot of fun!!

One Short said:
I'm home! Diana and Bob-thanks for putting up with me.
Hey Barb, glad you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for stopping by the farm; it was great visiting with you. :)

Your pictures are beautiful!

Barb, I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. That would have been terrible to survive all that dangerous flying and meet your demise with an angus bull. I Enjoyed our visit and hope we meet again somewhere on down the trail.

One Short said:
The report was it happened at Dark Canyon, 35miles west of Monticello, UT last year--March15,2004. Encountered a downdraft shortly after takeoff and hit some juniper trees. He and a passenger were OK. Plane was totalled.

Barb

Thank you very much, I'll check further into Galen's mishap.

That is a great picture of your tripacer parked on the side of Big Creek airstrip. They are all good But I really like the Big Creek one. :) :yes: :goofy:

Back