Where to go from here?? CFIS or CFI?

akhosh2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
akhosh2
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and looking for some insight. I earned my PPL back in 2006 and stopped flying in 2008 due to college and then grad school. After almost 8 years away from flying I completed by BFR the past week and I am thinking about joining the local Senior CAP Squadron to help give "purpose" to my flying rather than the usual point to point friend flights.

That being said I know my instrument rating is the next step in advancing my skill-set. However, my understanding is that to become a CFIS you do not need a commercial or instrument rating to instruct and make money since the FAA defines the student as actually paying for instruction rather than your flying. The only hurdle I see facing is getting the 50 hours in a Light sport aircraft since all my time is in a c172.

Is it worth it to pursue the CFIS in the mean time to help finance my instrument rating then eventually get my full CFI? Or should I just bite the bullet and go straight for the CFI (instrument>commercial>cfi)?

As a side note this would not become a new career for me, I would pursue it merely to provide instruction as a supplement to my full-time job and share the joy of aviation.

Any insights, experience and guidance would be much appreciated.

I am new to the forum and looking for some insight. I earned my PPL back in 2006 and stopped flying in 2008 due to college and then grad school. After almost 8 years away from flying I completed by BFR the past week and I am thinking about joining the local Senior CAP Squadron to help give "purpose" to my flying rather than the usual point to point friend flights.
Welcome back to flying, and welcome to PoA.

That being said I know my instrument rating is the next step in advancing my skill-set. However, my understanding is that to become a CFIS you do not need a commercial or instrument rating to instruct and make money since the FAA defines the student as actually paying for instruction rather than your flying.
That isn't exactly the reason the FAA doesn't require CP or IR for the CFI-S, but you are correct that they are not required for that certificate/rating.
Sec. 61.403

What are the age, language, and pilot certificate requirements for a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating?

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating you must:
(a) Be at least 18 years old.
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English. If you cannot read, speak, write, and understand English because of medical reasons, the FAA may place limits on your certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of light-sport aircraft.
(c) Hold at least a sport pilot certificate with category and class ratings or privileges, as applicable, that are appropriate to the flight instructor privileges sought.

The only hurdle I see facing is getting the 50 hours in a Light sport aircraft since all my time is in a c172.
You might want to re-check 61.411 on that -- for a CFI-S for Airplane-Single Engine, you need 50 hours of single-engine airplane time (towards which all your 172 time counts), but in LSA's, you need only 15 hours of PIC time in an LSA that is an airplane.

Is it worth it to pursue the CFIS in the mean time to help finance my instrument rating then eventually get my full CFI? Or should I just bite the bullet and go straight for the CFI (instrument>commercial>cfi)?
I think you should check around with the Sport Pilot/LSA flight schools in your area to see if they are hiring CFI's with only a Sport Pilot rating, and how much they're working.

Get the Sport CFI if there is a demand for it. If not it will just be a waste of money. Maybe you can get your AGI and IGI and try to find a ground instructor job to supplement your income.

Welcome to the board,the CFIs can work for you,if your in an area that has a sport pilot population.

Back