Where to find old/ expired instrument approach plates

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
Local VOR approach was discontinued but the VOR feeding the approach is still there.

I have ZERO intent on using the approach for IMC but it would be very helpful for me to have a copy of the approach plate for my IFR student to use in training.

Since I use Foreflight, all of the expired stuff goes out the window at every update.

Any idea where to find old plates online?

Not online, but scrounging around the airport, you’ll likely find someone that has an old set of plates. I keep several in my hangar.

If you don't turn up any old plates, you could always use some other VOR approach as a kind of "overlay," find one where the field elevation and altitudes used are well above your home VOR, you'll of course have to use your home frequency rather than the one published on the plate, but you can at least fly the procedure for practice. Of course, there won't be a runway in front of you when you reach the published MDA/MAP. I've used this scheme often in training just to give students a variety from our neighborhood's only close VOR.

If it's one of the many which were discontinued in the past year, I would check the flight schools, particularly those which use a training device. If you tell us the specific approach someone here might even have it.

There aren’t plates in flight sims like MSFS, are there?

Back