Where to find a DPE in Atlanta / South East?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
So, having trouble with getting a DPE check ride date. Yes, I know - get in line.

How does one go about finding one? My CFI is looking in Alabama, but not coming up with a date yet. Given he got an ATP job last week, I don't believe he's spending all day and all night figuring this out. Heck, not sure how long he'll be around to sign off everything - another story.

Any suggestions on where / who to suggest to him might help (or not -but worth a shot).

I figure I'm probably going to have to fly solo X Country somewhere to find one open - that's not a problem.

Would it even be an option to fly commercial to FL, TX, etc. grab a cheap hotel, find a school that will rent me a plane to fly with the DPE? Just trying to think outside of the box.

I took mine at KHRP - Don Jones was the DPE name. Very fair guy, but also very thorough. Don't have contact info, but I suspect a bit of Google-fu would get you there.

Look a bit down on this page, 4 are listed, including Don.

http://lgeflyingclub.org/Documents/

I had a 1.5hr flight to get to my initial DPE for my CFI, but he was the only one in the area that wasn't booked solid for 6 weeks because he only worked with a few at a time. Granted, it ended up taking another month since his corporate schedule kept filling up.

Ben Carr was awesome, but he hung up his headset a couple years ago. If you’re willing to travel to southeast Tennessee, I can give you a few phone numbers.

Another vote for Don Jones out of RHP. I’ve done a checkride with Don and Fred Houston. Whenever I actually get around to doing my commercial I’ll be going back to Don. He was friendly but also very fair.

Back