Where to check out planes?

Brandon Hicks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
nybhh
Is there an aviation equivalent to the Auto Show? A place where you can check out new GA aircraft from all the various manufacturers?

Sun n fun, Oshkosh if ur looking for GA, Paris, Dubai, farnborough for commercial. And NBAA has expos for Buisness aviation in Vegas and other locations s

Wow that was quick! I should have mentioned that since my wife and I are just beginning our flight training, fly-ins probably aren’t in the cards for a little while but we still want to check out some sexy toys. Anything a 2-3 hour drive from NYC?

Last edited:
The Cirrus SR22 certainly qualifies as a sexy toy. That’s not too far either, thanks. We did get to check out several Diamonds where we did our first Discovery flight: a da20, da40, and even a da42. It’s cool to see them all side-by-side.

Take a vacation this spring and do sun n fun,be well worth the trip.

They both look interesting but the Simsbury show is probably a bit more our speed, lol. Not far either and a great time if year for a little road trip.

@frfly172 Might have to take a little trip down to FL next spring as well ;)

The Simsbury show also looks much more my speed, however if it is the shiny and new that you are want to drool over, Cirrus, Diamond, Mooney, and Beech/Cessna are all at the “Elite” show. $75 for admission tho! :eek: At least it’s only 7 minutes from NYC by helicopter.

Brandon, check out upstatelist.org and socialflight.com for aviation events near you. Fly-ins usually don't have that many newer planes, but the people are usually great and you can sometimes see a great variety of planes and chat up their owners. I occasionally see a new light-sport type of plane at these things.

There's a good one at Kline Kill airport in Ghent twice a year. eaa146.org

If you're facebookers, there's a group called FATANE-Flights Above The Atlantic North East. Some of the members appear to fly Diamonds and Cirruses. We haven't managed a NE gathering that I've noticed, but they did have a good-sized group meetup at Oshkosh. http://airshowny.com/

Also, just for fun, think about the NY Air Show on 9/15-16 in Newburgh. I'm planning on taking my kid.

Another just for fun: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. WWI and 1920s-30s planes every weekend. It's quaint. It's fun. Saturday they do a parade of planes kind of deal, and Sundays they put on a dramatic act where the Black Baron of Rhinebeck tries to steal Trudy Truelove away from her beau, um, whatshisaname, and the duel it out in the skies. It's corny as hell, but I love it anyway.

Last edited:
That’s way cool you and your wife are doing it together.

Ummm. The flight training I mean!

I tried to get my wife to take the yoke once. She lightly touched it with her thumb and forefinger for a few seconds.

I'm from New York but I had to move to really enjoy aviation the way that I do now. I would ask the flight school you are attending I'm sure they know. Also check out the EAA chapters they aren't many left in NY but you can just go when they have a fly in to meet pilots. The aviation community OVERALL are great people who are willing to help each other.

Good luck!

I tried to get my wife to take the yoke once. She lightly touched it with her thumb and forefinger for a few seconds.

Your winning- my wife doesnt fly

Light sport expo in Florida in Jan.

Yep, in Sebring. There's another Light Sport expo in Deland, FL in November. Also a seaplane expo in Tavares, FL in October, I think.

Y'know, what with Sun-N-Fun, the other fly-ins and expos, several aircraft manufacturers, various aviation museums, the Kennedy space center, etc., etc., your best bet might be to move to Florida. It pains me to say that, though; we have too many yankees down here already.

Your winning- my wife doesnt fly

I’m glad she tolerates it. She sleeps through 60-80% of the flight though, even in turbulence where I wonder what exactly is holding the wings on.

Honestly, just being a hobby pilot, I don’t think that I would really enjoy flying without knowing she will join me for the occasional trip.

So no kids? ;-)

Back