Where to buy appliances

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
I'm from Mexico and have been at my family's Texas condo which was mostly a weekend getaway aside from some weeks during the summer.

Since I'm here rent free I'm looking to upgrade some stuff for my folks. They have a washer and a community coin-driven dryer.

I am looking at some Washer/Dryer combos at Best Buy, Costco, Lowes and the usual suspects and all are +$1,000, I can get the same Whirlpool, Maytag, LG, Samsung models in Mexico way below the $1,000 mark

Rant over, where would be the best place to buy a washer/dryer combo?

Thanks

When buying appliances, I generally stay away from home depot, lowes, and the like.

I like buying appliances from a local store that specializes in appliances. It's all they sell, they are familar with the products. And, while it might seem naive, the local store has stayed in business because they sell quality appliances at reasonable prices and stand behind them. Unfortunately, the local store here (Massachusetts) is just a bit too far away to help you.

good luck

It's all the same, go where you get the best deal. I have a set of top-of-the-line Maytags that are less than 2-yr old, but I don't particularly love them due to the detergent drawer constantly getting plugged up with deposits/mold-looking stuff. Poor design that allows the water passages to leak over into the detergent and dilute it while being simultaneously difficult to properly clean. Runs great other than that. You might search out a Speed Queen washer/dryer setup if you want something low-tech that gets the job done and will probably last decades without needing maintenance.

Used to be that some appliance manufacturers had different model numbers for sale in the big box stores vs the local appliance store. The difference might be that cheaper components were used in the box store models so they could hit specific price points where the same looking model with a slightly different model number might cost more at the appliance store. I'm not sure that's still the case, but it's worth checking out.

I prefer the local appliance store, myself. It keeps local money local. The biggest difference will be in follow up service - if you need warranty repairs, the local appliance shop will usually handle repairs where the box store will refer you to the mfg who will contract with someone else for the labor. Out of warranty repairs and part orders will be easier to set up with the local shop you bought it from, and for a box store...who knows?

Used to be that some appliance manufacturers had different model numbers for sale in the big box stores vs the local appliance store. The difference might be that cheaper components were used in the box store models so they could hit specific price points where the same looking model with a slightly different model number might cost more at the appliance store. I'm not sure that's still the case, but it's worth checking out.

I've been told the same thing. Apparently the big box stores want to sell appliances at a certain price point, so some manufacturers build specific skus down to a price for them. FWIW, I've been told Speed Queen builds about the best washers and dryers money can buy. We're buying a set for the house we're building, so ask me in a few years and I'll be able to offer specific feedback :p

Agree with the above comments on SpeedQueen. We have bought other brands like LG and Samsung which died the day after warranty went out. Very poor quality today in big stores. Find local dealer that sells Speed Queen. I have family that has had them over 20 years and still going so we bought a set a few years ago as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem now is you can hardly find any appliance in stock. At least the ones people actually want.

My moms 'fridge went out last Sunday. Of course, everyone closed on Sunday as well as Monday, except for Home Depot, which has lots of display models, nothing in stock. And we were told to expect up to 90 days for delivery. Then today we went to the local appliance store and found one that would work. (moving soon so don't want to fork over lots of dough for an exact replacement) They don't deliver, until I mentioned that the competition delivers and installs. Ok, we can deliver this afternoon. So, delivery time, the truck shows up and unpacks the new 'fridge. First thing I notice is a BIG dent and crease down the side of the 'fridge. Ok, call to the manager and he says he can replace it tomorrow.

I would have been happy if the manager had offered to take $300.00 off the price, but I did not ask. If the one tomorrow is dented, then I will ask for a discount.

So all I have learned is buying appliances in the ''new normal'' is just an exercise in futility.

Rene

you might have noticed that a Texas is a big state ;-).

Can you give us an idea where you are in the state? Might have a better suggestion, then.

I'm from Mexico and have been at my family's Texas condo which was mostly a weekend getaway aside from some weeks during the summer.

Since I'm here rent free I'm looking to upgrade some stuff for my folks. They have a washer and a community coin-driven dryer.

I am looking at some Washer/Dryer combos at Best Buy, Costco, Lowes and the usual suspects and all are +$1,000, I can get the same Whirlpool, Maytag, LG, Samsung models in Mexico way below the $1,000 mark

Rant over, where would be the best place to buy a washer/dryer combo?

Thanks

Recently I replaced refrigerator and stove. Shopped around and ended up buying from local appliance store. Much better customer service and actually about 8% less expensive than box mart. I would expect this to vary significantly by market. Just shop around and go with the best deal. No code to break on this one in my opinion.

I know appliances may not be best used. Never know what’s available on Facebook marketplace, people get rid of stuff for whatever reasons.

I’m still nursing along appliances from the mid 90’s.

Last few I bought through abt.com
They have held up well, cheaper than the local store.
As for big box versus local store, compare SKU not what it looks like. You will find the big box is generally cheaper.

The reality, if you can get it in Mexico and bring it north yourself, it likely will be cheaper. No delivery costs to the USA, local merchant costs are lower... And most/many of them are assembled down there anyways.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the input.
I'm at South Padre Island. I'll visit the local stores in the coming days

If I can't find anything, I'll buy one in Mexico and then bring it once the border opens for land transit

All that matters is "speed queen"

If you enjoy shopping for these appliances then go with almost anything else. It will most likely result in more shopping.
Wow, trouble before I knew this. Ahhh,the peace after

Just did the laundry and the building has Speed Queens. Those things have been here for ages!
Will take a look

Back