Where should I fly next :) ?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I'm in AZ based at KDVT with a Cherokee 140. Have to build some more cross country hours for my instrument rating plus it's just fun! Lake Havasu was a lot of fun. I am a little leery of high DA airports during the summer in my Cherokee...although with just me and fuel to the tabs or lower there shouldn't be too many places I would have trouble with (especially since I am flying early morning (starting at 5AM).

So where should I fly next?!

I want to get up to Sedona...been a while since I've been there.

Ever been down to Tucson?

Tucson?? Yuck nothing but desert down there! Just kidding...yea I've been to Ryan and Marana and Pinal. Never KTUS though I've never been into a Class C field

Kfar .... you know because it's far and u want to build time .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go to Vegas, and fly to KLAS. Nice XC and good experience flying to a GA-friendly class B.

Tucson?? Yuck nothing but desert down there! Just kidding...yea I've been to Ryan and Marana and Pinal. Never KTUS though I've never been into a Class C field

Well, its about time you flew into Class C. Better than any D in the state but then again, I'm pretty biased.

Go to Vegas, and fly to KLAS. Nice XC and good experience flying to a GA-friendly class B.

Friendly? That's a change. They're not known for affection towards VFR traffic. [Note: probably 5 yrs since I've done it]

UT25 and bring a camera. Pop into PGA while in the area

UT25 is Private, but wide open. They have a liability form on their website, but it's never been an issue with dozens of people I know who've landed there. Be nice and tip well. You can call or CTAF for a ride up to the restaurant, if you don't want to walk.
https://www.gouldings.com/airport-information/

Show Low would be nice, cooler, and they have a courtesy car for breakfast.

Or Pagosa Springs CO, or Durango. Not that far, really, and beautiful this time of year.
Or Rocky Point...

Last edited:
UT25 and bring a camera. Pop into PGA while in the area

This looks awesome but not sure how my Cherokee might do taking off at that altitude in the summer

As you suggested earlier, Sedona is always fun. I'll be heading up there Friday morning from GYR. (possibly with some other planes too)
* CT4ME you in? *

Can't, I've got a family thing up on the rim near Forest Lakes to go to on Friday - Monday. I'd like to fly to Payson and leave the plane there and drive up which would knock off 3 hours but I can't.

Eat breakfast at the Mesa Grill up there. Have the biscuits and gravy and confirm the biscuits are green. (not bad, just artsy fartsy style)

As you suggested earlier, Sedona is always fun. I'll be heading up there Friday morning from GYR. (possibly with some other planes too)
* CT4ME you in? *

I really want to fly to Sedona Sunday or Monday morning with my friend (first time in a small plane). But...with me being 180lbs and him being 220lbs I am too scurreed (scared) to fly in there in my Cherokee 140 :(

It's all about personal minimums, nothing to do with being scared. As time goes on you'll get more comfortable. What does the POH indicate regarding Weight / Balance?
Remember you don't need full tanks. I routinely leave my tanks at 30 gallons because I love taking passengers. 20 gallons if it's summer!

It's all about personal minimums, nothing to do with being scared. As time goes on you'll get more comfortable. What does the POH indicate regarding Weight / Balance?
Remember you don't need full tanks. I routinely leave my tanks at 30 gallons because I love taking passengers. 20 gallons if it's summer!

I would be well under max gross and performance charts show it wouldn't be a problem but I tend to be a little overly cautious. I really ought to just go give it a shot though

Well I can only speak from my personal experience - but I didn't have much performance degradation when I flew myself at 205lbs. and friend 225lbs. to Vegas in my training plane which was a 1969 Cherokee 140 / 150 horse.
Just plan on arriving early and getting out either early or when the sun goes down. That will give you a large safety margin. Then take notes as to your climb performance and density altitude. That way you'll have a reference point for next time.

Well I can only speak from my personal experience - but I didn't have much performance degradation when I flew myself at 205lbs. and friend 225lbs. to Vegas in my training plane which was a 1969 Cherokee 140 / 150 horse.
Just plan on arriving early and getting out either early or when the sun goes down. That will give you a large safety margin. Then take notes as to your climb performance and density altitude. That way you'll have a reference point for next time.

Yea thing is Vegas would be much lower DA than Sedona. I'd have no issue going to Lake Havasu, Tucson, etc...it's those high DA airports that I'm worried about but I get what your saying

Yeah, you got it. Mainly emphasis on getting out before 10:00AM or after 6:00 PM when it cools down up there at 5,000 feet.

UT25 is Private, but wide open. They have a liability form on their website, but it's never been an issue with dozens of people I know who've landed there. Be nice and tip well. You can call or CTAF for a ride up to the restaurant, if you don't want to walk.
https://www.gouldings.com/airport-information/

Show Low would be nice, cooler, and they have a courtesy car for breakfast.

Or Pagosa Springs CO, or Durango. Not that far, really, and beautiful this time of year.
Or Rocky Point...

After reading that, hell yeah! I'd like to go up to Monument Valley as I didn't realize UT25 was, well, Monument Valley. Looks like a good weekend trip.

I know it's a year too soon but I'm seriously thinking about making the long flight to OSH AirVenture 2018. Has anyone made a 1300 mile journey in their single engine? I figure two 6 hour days. Who's flown in to OSH? Who wants to fly out next year!!?

My wife and I make long trips every year. We live south of Houston and last year we flew to the Bahamas in the spring and Catalina in the fall with stops at Sedona, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. We generally plan on two 4-hour legs for long trips and ended up making both trips back home in a day. Its a long day but the Cardinal RG is pretty comfortable for long trips. We flew out to Naples and back a couple of weeks ago and did the full trip each way in a day on that trip.

The big change over three hour trips is that you'll be much more likely to have to cross a weather front someplace. Just build some extra time in so you can stop to wait things out if needed. I also find that it helps to take a different route back than I took going out on a long trip. What was interesting to see on the way out tends to be a lot less interesting when you're five or six hours into a day of flying on the way back.

Go for it and have fun

Gary

Back