Where is PBOR2

A discussion last night at our flying club meeting on potential impact to insurance if some portion of our members no longer have or need 3rd class medicals. Thoughts and speculation?

I don't see why it would change anything. Insurance companies go off hard statistics, not perception.

How many of those crash into homes and businesses? And beyond that, how many of those drivers get a "clean bill of health" report from a doctor that specifically authorizes them to operate their vehicle?

According to Texas A&M: "[Nationwide] there are approximately 60 of these crashes a day, where a vehicle enters into a building," said Michael Brackin, with the Texas A&M Transportation Institute. "There are almost 500 deaths a year."

So that would mean around 60 x 365 = 21,900 vehicles crash into buildings in a year. (approximately)

According to Texas A&M: "[Nationwide] there are approximately 60 of these crashes a day, where a vehicle enters into a building," said Michael Brackin, with the Texas A&M Transportation Institute. "There are almost 500 deaths a year."

So that would mean around 60 x 365 = 21,900 vehicles crash into buildings in a year. (approximately)

And my second question?

I ask, "Doc, is there any medical restrictions to me driving an SUV full of kids, at night, in the rain in rush hour traffic?"

His reply, "None at all."

"Good, I fly a plane that weights less than an SUV, carries fewer passengers than an SUV, and I seldom fly at night and never in weather that is as bad as I've encountered in the SUV."

At the end of my physical, my doctors writes down things he wants me to do (the usual -- exercise, avoid this or that, eat healthy), and then he writes "No Restrictions."

I really think he will have no hesitation signing the FAA form.

At the end of my physical, my doctors writes down things he wants me to do (the usual -- exercise, avoid this or that, eat healthy), and then he writes "No Restrictions."

Until the first big lawsuit award that maxes out his insurance. People (and juries) seem to view airplanes falling out of the sky in a different light from "traffic accidents".

I ask, "Doc, is there any medical restrictions to me driving an SUV full of kids, at night, in the rain in rush hour traffic?"

His reply, "None at all."

"Good, I fly a plane that weights less than an SUV, carries fewer passengers than an SUV, and I seldom fly at night and never in weather that is as bad as I've encountered in the SUV."

I ask, "am I fit to drive an 80,000 lb vehicle full of Sulfuric Acid* 80mph down the freeway that is crowded with school buses full of children?"
He says, "That's an odd question. You're a Quality Engineer, but I don't see why not."
I say, "OK, thank you. The FAA has the same requirements for me flying a Cessna 152 as the DOT has for getting a CDL and doing the 80,000 pound thing."

* OK, I do need an endorsement on a CDL for hazardous chemicals, but the 80,000 pound thing is still there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back