Where / how to conveniently update SW version Garmin 430W?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Anyone know where to conveniently get the main and GPS SW VERSIONS updated for a 430W?

I know of a couple avionics guys who offer this service but I am not nearby them...

As far as I know, it's only available via authorized Garmin avionics shops.

They will need the box. You could mail it or find someone to fly to.

I had Lancaster Avioincs, in PA, update my transponder SW....and they were very reasonable. They charged me for an hour of shop time....and that's with me handing over the box.

The upgrade is free from Garmin but you may have to pay shop time for the update. Some shops will update for free if they did the install.

I found a guy willing to mail his card to me for a $40 fee. In the past I have paid as much as $100 for the service.

Are you sure that's the firmware upgrade card? Not sure about the 430W but the newer boxes (e.g. 650) require both an unlock card, which is only provided to authorized dealers, and the firmware card to perform the update.

No unlock required. Just plug in the card and it will prompt you to update. Software often takes 2 tries. GPS goes first try. One uses left slot and one uses right. If it doesn’t recognize first try, switch to the other slot.

S
I found a guy willing to mail his card to me for a $40 fee. In the past I have paid as much as $100 for the service.
ounds like you’re talking about the nav and/or terrain-obstacle database. The OP is talking about the latest firmware for the operation of the box.

The firmware upgrade is done on the bench. You have to send it to them. If it is a really old version, you will have to do this if you want to take advantage of ADS-B IN. I sent mine for the set repair fee of about $1500. They ended up scrapping mine and giving me a new one which included the latest firmware. I expect if there is nothing wrong with it they will update it on the bench for less than that.

The software (not database) update is done on the unit in the plane. Shops usually charge $100 to do this.

Back