Where have you had the best $100 Hamburger?

Ok, so I don't typically eat the burgers, but I do eat at every airport I fly to, if possible. While Katama was the most fun to visit and the coolest to land at, Nashua (KASH) is so far my favorite for food. The cool part is that the lady who runs the joint is married to the ATCer in the tower. They both have these no-nonsense personalities and aren't exactly warm-and-fuzzy, but you can't help but love them anyway.

Did they tell you to"line up and wait"for your lunch?

Ever been to Portland, ME(KPWM)? If you're into seafood, they get it right off the boat.

Have you ever been to Blairstown? I used to go there regularly in the 80's before moving to NC... That was a pretty good joint...

Yes, I've been there, but everytime I've flown in the restaurant was closed...

Cape Girardeau's airport cafe has the largest burgers for the best price I've seen. I knew I was in trouble when i ordered the double and the local old men started laughing. That one burger fed me both lunch and dinner. @timwinters csn contest to that fact!

Ever been to Portland, ME(KPWM)? If you're into seafood, they get it right off the boat.

Looks like I have my next xc destination to plan... haven't braved a class C yet, but can't imagine it's much worse than what I'm used to at KBED.

Southern Flyer Restaurant, Brenham, TX (11R) is outstanding. We were just there today.
87e48368fa21fde411644c644edbecd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been there Jay! I didn't fly in but the next time I will. I bought one of their caps that has the runways on it with the dotted line that runs from front to back.

Best food I've had was at KAEG when I flew a dog up there for Pilots n Paws. (Double Eagle just NW of Albuquerque International airport) The chef there used to be Ted Turner's personal chef. I think I had some sort of veal/gravy sandwich.

Looks like I have my next xc destination to plan... haven't braved a class C yet, but can't imagine it's much worse than what I'm used to at KBED.

As busy as BED is, I seriously doubt you'd have any problems. Eventually you'll discover it's just another airport. Someday you'll have to try Logan, heck, Providence is easy. I did Logan in a PA28 years ago. Now you probably have to pay a fee to land though.

Last edited:
L45 - Rocket Shop (home of the Harmon Rocket). The creator/mad scientist himself is usually stationed left of the bar drinking coffee. Their chicken fried bacon is ridiculously addictive.

Knotty Pine adjacent to KBFL (local hangout)

But the Waypoint Cafe at KCMA is the BEST if you're willing to wait :45 or better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walk into the Waypoint at 3PM, and there will be empty tables. BTDT.

Nancy's at Willows is also quite good, though FAR off the beaten track.

Still, nothing quite compares to Half Moon Bay.

I'm a BIG fan of the burgers at Greeley CO GXY. Maybe @denverpilot can attest?

So we took two friends up there today in the 182. They're hooked by the way, they loved the flight...

Two ordered the chicken fried steak sandwich, one ordered the French Dip, and I ordered the double cheeseburger to test the above.

Yup. Very tasty. Two 1/3 lb parties no scrimping, good cheddar, plenty of pickles and lettuce, and a good bun. And the fries were "good and thick" and "GBD", just the way I like em.

Thanks for the reminder!

A great burger or club at Blue Ridge KMTV
If you can finish the club you are a bigger eater than me. I struggle to eat all the burger.
Friendly people at the FBO also

A great burger or club at Blue Ridge KMTV
If you can finish the club you are a bigger eater than me. I struggle to eat all the burger.
Friendly people at the FBO also

well then........I want my KMTV!!

Agreed KHAF has some of the best destination restaurants, but you aren't going there for the hamburger. Back when Jonesey's was still open at KAPC, that was the best $100 hamburger.

Best actual hamburger is at Jamie's Bar and Grill, 5 minute drive from KSAC. But, if they have the brisket, or the Sand Dabs, screw the burger.

Just an FYI and you may already know this, but the restaurant that used to be Jonesey's is open again under a different name. It's now called "The Runway by Patrick" I had lunch there once and it's good. I did not have the burger though. It's kinda upscale and priced that way. It feels like the restaurant at Santa Rosa. Their burger is likely good, high priced and probably not the best burger you ever had, but better than most.

Enrique's at Ponca City, Ok, is great.
And there is a new restaurant just opened at Uvalde, Tx called Hangar 6.

Enrique's at Ponca City, Ok, is great.
And there is a new restaurant just opened at Uvalde, Tx called Hangar 6.
Just don't expect service at Enrique's on a Sunday. Incredibly, they are closed, as we discovered on our way home from OSH '15.

Just an FYI and you may already know this, but the restaurant that used to be Jonesey's is open again under a different name. It's now called "The Runway by Patrick" I had lunch there once and it's good. I did not have the burger though. It's kinda upscale and priced that way. It feels like the restaurant at Santa Rosa. Their burger is likely good, high priced and probably not the best burger you ever had, but better than most.

I checked out their online menu. Definitely spendy. The sides and burgers are pricey but not over the top compared to nearby restaurants. But a $55 ribeye? Holy shyte!

It's pretty good, no better than that. A bit pretentious.

Do be sure to ask for the unpublished pilot discount (10% if I remember right).

The restaurant at KSAC is good, and very cheap for what it is.

The restaurant at South Lake Tahoe is also good, but the view is nothing short of amazing.

L45 - Rocket Shop (home of the Harmon Rocket). The creator/mad scientist himself is usually stationed left of the bar drinking coffee. Their chicken fried bacon is ridiculously addictive.

I've been meaning to get up to Bakersfield to check this out. Also the Mojave spaceport...crazy experimentals on the ramp sometimes, and the occasional Burt Rutan sighting in the restaurant.

Flo's at Chino looks like a rat hole, but great food. Big Bear's restaurant is great too, and it's hard to beat the smell of the pines as you crack open the canopy.

Can't wait to do a steak lunch at Harris Ranch...restaurant with an attached airstrip!!

I've been meaning to get up to Bakersfield to check this out. Also the Mojave spaceport...crazy experimentals on the ramp sometimes, and the occasional Burt Rutan sighting in the restaurant.

Flo's at Chino looks like a rat hole, but great food. Big Bear's restaurant is great too, and it's hard to beat the smell of the pines as you crack open the canopy.

Can't wait to do a steak lunch at Harris Ranch...restaurant with an attached airstrip!!

Let's just say the smell is a lot better at Big Bear than Harris Ranch....

image.jpeg

A couple of us did that for a Purple Board meetup. It was pretty good.

Last edited:
Broken Bow, Nebraska. At the insistence of another pilot (we had really just stopped for fuel), we took the courtesy car into town to the hotel restaurant.

This is also how I found out the limits of the American Express fraud system. Later that day, I attempted to buy $2000 worth of liquor for my daughter's wedding. I was informed that Amex would like to speak to me.

ME: Hello?
AMEX: Is this Ronald Natalie?
ME: Yes, speaking.
AMEX: Are you in possession of your card?
ME: Yes, it's me trying to buy $2000 at Wilbur's Total Beverage.
AMEX: Were you in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this morning?
ME: Yes.
AMEX: And were you in Broken Bow, Nebraska at 1 PM?
ME: That was me too.
AMEX: And you're in Fort Collins, Colorado now?
AMEX: And you're in possession of your card?
ME: Yes, that was me in all those places.

Apparently, hitting a bunch of cities in rapid succession that don't have any air service trips the alarms.

Flying down to the Beacon Cafe for that breakfast buffet was hands down the best. The company was also pretty great, if a little leaded.

Next time, I bring stickers of the avatar!

Pineapple upside down pancakes will put you into a sugar coma.

KAFN Jafrey New Hampshire ,great lobster rolls,sea food ,burgers and ice cream

A restaurant located in the Bible belt that is closed on Sundays....imagine that... :)
I know, right? lol

Even though it's fairly common, it still always shocks me to find aviation-related businesses that are closed on one of the only two days per week that most pilots are able to fly.

Broken Bow, Nebraska. At the insistence of another pilot (we had really just stopped for fuel), we took the courtesy car into town to the hotel restaurant.

This is also how I found out the limits of the American Express fraud system. Later that day, I attempted to buy $2000 worth of liquor for my daughter's wedding. I was informed that Amex would like to speak to me.

ME: Hello?
AMEX: Is this Ronald Natalie?
ME: Yes, speaking.
AMEX: Are you in possession of your card?
ME: Yes, it's me trying to buy $2000 at Wilbur's Total Beverage.
AMEX: Were you in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this morning?
AMEX: And were you in Broken Bow, Nebraska at 1 PM?
ME: That was me too.
AMEX: And you're in Fort Collins, Colorado now?
AMEX: And you're in possession of your card?
ME: Yes, that was me in all those places.

Apparently, hitting a bunch of cities in rapid succession that don't have any air service trips the alarms.

Every. F*^king. Week.

God forbid if you swipe your card twice at the fuel pump too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville Texas is a winner in our book.

Lincoln Park (N07) is fun, little cafe and bar right on the 2500' GA friendly airport, good atmosphere and no prison style fences.

Sunset-Pub-Award.jpg

I used to be based there and completely agree. Just stopped in a month ago also despite living 400NM away now. Very cool spot but fair warning it can be very busy with locals. You'll have to wait for a table on a nice Friday or Saturday evening in the summer.

Back