Where do you keep your Medical

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
I just got my Medical renewed. I stuck it in my flight bag so that I always have it with me when I fly but it made me think about where everyone else keeps their medical. My last one was my medical/ student pilot cert that was printed on fairly thick paper stock. This one is just the medical and is printed on light weight paper. It's kind of a fragile document and I could see it easily wearing out after a few years if you move it around much.
Where do you guys keep your medical?

Just like Greg. I've actually had to show mine a few times recently.

I cut up a manilla folder to have a credit card sized little insert for my wallet, and had that laminated...my medical and other important documents stay in there, completely shielded from the hostile environment that paper living in a wallet faces.

Taped to the inside back cover of my logbook.

I used to keep mine in the log book but I stopped bringing that in the plane after I passed my check ride. To many horror stories of guys misplacing it and that book is kinda hard to replace.

Mine is taped to my logbook as well. I've always had it with me since my student days

I keep it with my certificate. I used to keep both in a pocket in my flight bag, until I went flying with a buddy as safety pilot and grabbed my headset only. I think I was a mile from the house when I remembered that I had to go back and get my docs. Now it just lives in my wallet. Since I get a new paper medical every year, it never really has a chance to get too ratty.

When I was a student, my CFI taped an envelope inside my logbook and it lived in there. Once I finished my checkride, my logbook stays home.

In my wallet. I need it if I get pulled over on my way to the airport (or work, or wherever). :D

My wallet. I bought one of those wallets from AOPA where the insert can hold the medical/pilots license/drivers license all together.

I read them, memorize them then cut them up and eat them.

Taped to the inside back cover of my logbook.

Which is where mine is too, but I'm going to stop flying with my logbook. Probably not a good idea to fly with it in the event of a crash or something lest you or your loved ones have a need to show currency or what not. BUT, I do record every flight in zululog on the internet so that ought to suffice and I periodically print out and sign copies of zululog entries just in case.

I keep mine glued to my forehead with little sticky stars. So if the King sees me he will know I'm the best peasant.:lol:

I tape one edge of the pilot cert and the CFI cert together and place the folded med cert between. Makes a nice av-cert sandwich, all three are always together.

my wallet - but mine never lasts long enough to wear out, since I get a new one every year.

In my billfold, in my pocket. Along with my Pilot Cert.
...and my Flight Instructor cert, too. Also my ancient Restricted Radio Telephone Operator certificate, just in case I go international. One never knows when one might be called upon, so one should be prepared. I can always dig up a headset, chart, and kneeboard, but my certs are another story unless I wish to avail myself of that "once ever six months" on-line download -- and that I wish to keep in reserve for a real emergency (i.e., a ramp check the day I forget my wallet). There are way too many reasons not to carry my logbook around unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I read them, memorize them then cut them up and eat them.

.. at the gym, washing them down with wine. ;)

I keep mine glued to my forehead with little sticky stars. So if the King sees me he will know I'm the best peasant.:lol:

LOL!

...and my Flight Instructor cert, too. Also my ancient Restricted Radio Telephone Operator certificate, just in case I go international. One never knows when one might be called upon, so one should be prepared. I can always dig up a headset, chart, and kneeboard, but my certs are another story unless I wish to avail myself of that "once ever six months" on-line download -- and that I wish to keep in reserve for a real emergency (i.e., a ramp check the day I forget my wallet). There are way too many reasons not to carry my logbook around unnecessarily.

Boy Scout! (GRIN!)

Wallet for me.

Logbook. Scanned copy in LogBookPro. Paper copy in safe.

In my log book...... that's in my Flight bag......... that stays in my plane...

In the wallet along with my certificate. Sometimes I fly without my flight bag so I can't keep it in there and it's also fragile.

What good does a paper COPY in the safe do? Just curious.

Good question. Before I knew about being able to request a temporary certificate immediately, I was under the impression it would speed replacement should the medical be lost. This thread has also made for interesting reading on the matter. Short story, it probably doesn't help... but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

In my wallet with my license.

Log book is somewhere, I don't always log time anymore.

Flight bag in my truck.

Survival bag in the backseat of the plane, always.

Aircraft log booked locked in a safe.

Like 90% of the pilots in north Texas, it is in my official Gabriel Fried, MD vinyl certificate holder.

I taped a small envelope to the rear cover of my flight notebook, and I keep the pilot's certificate card and the medical certificate in it. I'm big on splitting things up and always try to keep as few things as possible in attack targets such sa wallets. My logbook lives in a safe, which is different from the safe where its xerocopies are.

In my wallet, tucked between my pilot cert and my CFI cert along with my Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit.

Capt Ron, I know the Restricted Radio permit is good for a lifetime, but will they recognize one issued in 1974? I'm headed to Alaska. Later this summer and need to fly across that foreign land called Canada. I have not found any reference on the FCC pages other than how to spend $$ to get a new one.

I have heard it is a bad idea to fly with your logbook, for several reasons. I keep my medical in my flight-bag, which stays with the plane. My pilot cert is in my wallet (you never know when you need to show that off).

There is no requirement to show your medical to any one but the FAA, and they will give you an opportunity to present it at FSDO. but they will not do that, because they can look it up.

So mine is in my log book

Last edited:
In my wallet, tucked between my pilot cert and my CFI cert along with my Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit.

Capt Ron, I know the Restricted Radio permit is good for a lifetime, but will they recognize one issued in 1974? I'm headed to Alaska. Later this summer and need to fly across that foreign land called Canada. I have not found any reference on the FCC pages other than how to spend $$ to get a new one.

I paid the money to get one, The US customs looked at all my documents very closely. In Canada, I never saw a Canadian customs officer, but I understand that it is a requirement in Canada.

I bought a canvas, velcro logbook "wallet" 20 years ago that folds open. There is room for logbook, POH and other items about that size in two different pockets on the bottom when unfolded. There are clear plastic compartments above that where things like medical cerrtificate, pilot card and other things can be stored and easily seen.

I keep all the necessary papers for legal flying in there. I have an interim logbook in there that is the very same type as my master. I log in that one, then transfer it to my master logbook at home, then cross out the entry using a straight edge after it is transferred to the master. I copied, cut out and pasted my tailwheel endorsement in the back of the interim logbook.

This way I know I have everything together for flying including my medical certificate.

There is no requirement to show your medical to any one but the FAA, and they will give you an opportunity to present it at FSDO. but they will not do that, because they can look it up.

So mine is in my log book

61.3 says you've got to have it with you:

(c) Medical certificate. (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation ac- ceptable to the FAA, that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

I carefully cut an index card to fit the back cover of my log book and slide the medical inside it. It lives in my flight bag (I know, it's not safe.) This was the advice my flight instructor gave me when I was just starting. My pilot certificate lives in my wallet but it's losing text fast due to rubbing with other cards. I guess I better hurry up on my IR so I can get a new one.:)

John

Wallet - along with both certificates. Never know when I might go flying and not have my flight bag with me. For you non-student-keep-it-in-the-logbook people, why would you carry anything around anything more than you need to give the FAA to look at in case of a ramp check? My logbook only leaves the house for signatures. Same with the airplane logbooks. There's no need to make things easy for the FAA to bust you if you forgot to cross an i or dot a t.

I keep my medical attached to the checklist for the aircraft I fly. This is all neatly folded in half and stuck in between the pages of my logbook. I'm still a student and I don't have a flight bag yet. Once I get the bag, it all goes in there (again, neatly folded/arranged).

I really wanted one of those nice thick medical papers, but instead I got flimsy ol' printer paper. I should laminate these things, though... Good idea by someone else in this thread.

61.3 says you've got to have it with you:

(c) Medical certificate. (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation ac- ceptable to the FAA, that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

And that's a problem how?

My log goes with me when I fly.

Notice the lack of requirements to show it to a LEO.

Back