Where do you keep your medical certificate?

I know my AME was really particular that I had to sign in front of him.

Mine is plastered all over the inside of the washing machine.

How is something confiscated that's never relinquished?

You have read all the articles, including those on AOPA, that tell you to never "hand over" anything but rather to simply "show" the required docs...but never allow them to leave your hand????? Right??
Every day, law enforcement officers confiscate stuff that's not relinquished. It's happen somewhere right now. No tinfoil required.

If the FAA didn't confiscate it, call them up and request an (emergency) replacement. I lost my wallet once and it was easier getting my FAA certificates replaced than my driver's license.

It's absolutely amazing all of the misinformation spread on these boards, but even funnier watching people argue about something in which they have no clue. :rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:popcorn:

If the FAA didn't confiscate it, call them up and request an (emergency) replacement. I lost my wallet once and it was easier getting my FAA certificates replaced than my driver's license.

You can print your own in a heartbeat on the FAA website...if you lose your medical and license you can fill out a form that will instantly Email you a document from the FAA attesting to your pilot certificate and medical. It is good for 9-120 days .

I got separated from mine on a trip once. Piece of cake

You can print your own in a heartbeat on the FAA website...if you lose your medical and license you can fill out a form that will instantly Email you a document from the FAA attesting to your pilot certificate and medical. It is good for 9-120 days .

I got separated from mine on a trip once. Piece of cake
This. I had my wallet stolen once when on a trip and did this. It was more of a PITA to replace my driver's license. It would have been even more difficult if I didn't have a passport.

It's absolutely amazing all of the misinformation spread on these boards, but even funnier watching people argue about something in which they have no clue. :rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:popcorn:

I was waiting for you to say "We use a damn iPad to check it in a live database, we don't care what it looks like.", as in a previous thread...

But it's entertaining to watch all the hand-wringing and scare tactics.

FAA may be behind the times, but any contact with any government representative these days and they're headed for their taxpayer-provided mobile data system to look up the info in real-time.

From cops and MDTs in the vehicles to iPads and laptops... It's all about the database. Nobody cares about the paper. Too easy to forge.

I have what they called a "log book wallet" that I bought from Sporty's circa 1990. My plastic card, medical certificate are in clear plastic windows and my logbook and other items are contained, including the operator's manual for the aircraft. It goes into the plane on every flight.

That's the obvious solution. And it's what I do as well.

The logbook is a bad place for it, as it shouldn't be in the aircraft unless you're a student pilot. It needs to be handy for all instruction, but it can be in the car. Your medical is required to be in your possession when flying as PIC (which includes most instruction after the private pilot).

As a new pilot, why shouldn't my logbook be with me? It fits so well in my aviation bag.

In my flight bag with all the all the other goodies I need. Flight bag is always right behind my seat while I fly so it's always with me. A "trick" is to keep your plane keys with everything else (in a safe spot of course) so that if you've got the keys, you know you've got everything else. Works for me, YMMV.

As a new pilot, why shouldn't my logbook be with me? It fits so well in my aviation bag.

Even my DPE told me to leave the logbook home. He told me this as he was handing me my fresh PP. After you pass your checkride there's no requirement to keep it with you, so you might as well keep it safe at home.

The FAA has no legal authority to "confiscate" your logbook.

Ron, take another look at my comment. As I said, I'm not worried about the FAA. There are other agencies ignorant of the regs detaining pilots.

"Confiscate" and "not relinquish" are relative terms when you're surrounded by a SWAT team which has already violated the Fourth Amendment.

Ron, take another look at my comment. As I said, I'm not worried about the FAA. There are other agencies ignorant of the regs detaining pilots.

"Confiscate" and "not relinquish" are relative terms when you're surrounded by a SWAT team which has already violated the Fourth Amendment.

How often have you had a SWAT team surround you?

Doesn't seem like one of my daily fears/routines.

How often have you had a SWAT team surround you? Doesn't seem like one of my daily fears/routines.

Me? Not so far. But it's becoming common enough that it will be on my mind when deciding what I carry with me in the aircraft. Latest from AOPA:

After a routine flight, you land at your destination, taxi to the ramp—and then you’re unexpectedly approached by more than half a dozen armed law enforcement officers, including a couple with rifles in hand...AOPA has received 42 reports of unwarranted stops from pilots nationwide, as well as many other reports of law enforcement officials visiting or calling airports and FBOs to check up on the activities of both local and transient pilots.

Me? Not so far. But it's becoming common enough that it will be on my mind when deciding what I carry with me in the aircraft. Latest from AOPA:

Nice editing, but the article doesn't say what you claim.

There have not been 42 stops with "half dozen" law enforcement and "officers with rifles". The first part was clearly imagination by the AOPA writer trying to be overly dramatic and had nothing to do with the number 42.

Where does it say it is illegal to make a copy? It doesn't say it on the certificate like it says on every other government issue certificate that is illegal to copy.
A copy is as good as the original? Wow, I didn't know that. I've got this scanner and color printer now alls I needs me is a hunert doller bill.

It's happening often enough that AOPA is offering members "guidance" documents on it.

The NRA has found ways to fleece MIllions$$$ from members by providing "guidance" against imaginary threats to the American Way, Jesus, and Apple Pie.

Doesn't make it reality.

Nor does the AOPA creating imaginary SWAT teams with rifles make it reality.

40-some incidents out of the how many GA flights that have occured?

The percentage is miniscule, but it's good to be aware of the possibility. Even one unjustified search and seizure is too many. LEO often overstep their boundaries.

Even my DPE told me to leave the logbook home. He told me this as he was handing me my fresh PP. After you pass your checkride there's no requirement to keep it with you, so you might as well keep it safe at home.

The downside to that is time gets left unlogged, I know I have a good few unlogged hrs because I forgot. Life happens to quick to remember the small stuff, if I don't log it when it happens, there is a mighty probability I won't log it as I'm no longer in a 'time building' phase.

The downside to that is time gets left unlogged, I know I have a good few unlogged hrs because I forgot. Life happens to quick to remember the small stuff, if I don't log it when it happens, there is a mighty probability I won't log it as I'm no longer in a 'time building' phase.

I can see that. Since I rent I have to log in the airplane notebook for billing. That means I made a note on the scratch pad in my knee board that I pull out when I remember. That system works for me, but might not for others.

...Nor does the AOPA creating imaginary SWAT teams with rifles make it reality.

John and Martha King reported they were pretty real, and their encounter was the second time a bogus intercept had happened with that same plane. How much evidence do you need to decide something is real?

John and Martha King reported they were pretty real, and their encounter was the second time a bogus intercept had happened with that same plane. How much evidence do you need to decide something is real?

I would probably need to see the rates of SWAT teams surrounding Cessnas to start exceeding the rates that young black males between the ages of 17-25 get stopped by police for DWB (Driving While Black).

I don't fly nearly as much as you but that's why I take my logbook with me. I fill in each entry before leaving the airport:)

And you just made the thread longer:p

It's a discussion board. These things happen:)

Back