Where do you keep your medical certificate?

My AME prints out a single sheet of paper on his printer, I cut it out, sign it, fold it, and put it in my wallet, no signed copy stays behind.
Read what I posted again. I said nothing about leaving a signed copy in the doctor's office. I said "they [the FAA] can tell a copy from an original by the signature, without which it [the original certificate] isn't supposed to leave the doctor's office". IOW, the original is not supposed to leave the doctor's office until the doctor (or his/her staff) has seen the examinee sign it.

There would be no simple way to detect a copy from original.
Yes, there is -- it's pretty easy to tell an actual pen signature from a copy of a signature. That's why when medical certificate is suspended or revoked, the FAA wants the original returned (same as with Airman Certificates).

Copies don't meet the regulatory requirements -- has to be the original with you when you're exercising the privileges.

This is a non-problem. Have you ever heard of the FAA having an issue with an airman having a copy of a medical certificate (be it physical or digital)? I certainly have not.

This is a non-problem. Have you ever heard of the FAA having an issue with an airman having a copy of a medical certificate (be it physical or digital)? I certainly have not.
I have -- but in that particular case it was a copy of a suspended or revoked certificate (I forget which). And I have heard of Inspectors requiring the pilot presenting a copy rather than an original to stand by while they checked to see that the certificate was not under order of suspension or revocation -- and then telling the pilot, "I'll let this slide today, but next time, please have the original. Now fly safe and have a nice day". Same deal when I watched an inspector ramp check a 135 pilot who left his wallet in his other pants -- checked the system, counseled on the spot, and waved good-bye.

Read what I posted again. I said nothing about leaving a signed copy in the doctor's office. I said "they [the FAA] can tell a copy from an original by the signature, without which it [the original certificate] isn't supposed to leave the doctor's office". IOW, the original is not supposed to leave the doctor's office until the doctor (or his/her staff) has seen the examinee sign it.
Really? When I got my SI it came signed by silberman in the mail. Made a couple copies & signed them. Pretty sure it usually happens that way....

Yes, there is -- it's pretty easy to tell an actual pen signature from a copy of a signature. That's why when medical certificate is suspended or revoked, the FAA wants the original returned (same as with Airman Certificates).

This is the digital age Ron, you scan, clean off the signature, print, resign. It's identical.

Taped in my logbook which I never carry when I fly.

And it's expired anyway!

My certificate(which was mailed to me by the FAA) has a clear copy of my signature on it.

You know, I met a guy at an airport here in Missouri. He's made an emergency landing on a highway (little little used paved road in a farming community.) Didn't have any documentation -- PPL license and medical -- with him, told the sheriff he was bushed (tired). They pushed the plane out of the way and took him to a motel. The next day they called OK City and established that he did have a PPL and current medical, and took him to the airport to get a mechanic too look at the plane.

When I was with him, they'd found the problem (I think it was something about the fuel selector switch), pushed the plane back on the highway, and the county sheriff closed the road and he'd taken off and flown to the airport. Shortly after that, he was on his way, still without any documentation. And this did happen after 9/11.

Last edited:
In my wallet with my drivers licence, pilot certificate, and instructor certificate. That way, just as long as I have my wallet (which is always-I never leave home without it), I'm legal.

Taped inside my logbook.

I did that in my student days. That being said, unless you're a Student or Sport pilot and have to carry it, avoid taking the logbook around with you. For one, you don't want to lose and it also give the FAA one more potential thing to "take a look" at during a potential ramp check when you pull it out so they can see your medical...

I did that in my student days. That being said, unless you're a Student or Sport pilot and have to carry it, avoid taking the logbook around with you. For one, you don't want to lose and it also give the FAA one more potential thing to "take a look" at during a potential ramp check when you pull it out so they can see your medical...

Why would you not want the FAA to see your log book?

Where does it say it is illegal to make a copy?
Nowhere. You can make all the copies you like, but a copy doesn't meet the requirement of 61.3(c)(1):
(1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate.
That copy was made by you, not "issued under part 67 of this chapter".

All this arguing seems silly. It is easy for anyone with internet access to search the airman database to see if there is a medical certificate for a person with my name, and this will even indicate a restriction that I must have reading glasses available. There is no privacy -- our medical certificates are on the internet.

So, just solve that problem by ordering a copy from OKC. Fill out form 8060-56, send it in with a whopping two bucks and the FAA will send you another one. Keep one safe, wear out the other.

Why would you not want the FAA to see your log book?

Have you signed every page?

And a multitude of other nit-pick, nit-pick, nit-pick opportunities.

tin.gif

Nowhere. You can make all the copies you like, but a copy doesn't meet the requirement of 61.3(c)(1):

Sure it is if it has the same number on it.

Nine of ten pilots in Dallas have their pilot's certificate and medical in a nifty little navy blue carrying pouch, with two clear inserts, folds to handy size to fit in your wallet. It has wings printed on the front, and Dr. Fried's name on it. Nice setup.

I have one of these when I did my first medical in Dallas. Now that the new one is bigger on a regular sheet of paper, I don't use it anymore...:rolleyes2:

Keep mine in my wallet which goes in my front jacket pocket so I don't ruin my spine sitting on it all day flying.

There's nothing "tinfoil hatter" about wanting to keep your logbook away from the plane. At least not anymore. I don't worry about FAA inspectors, but it now appears common to have "misunderstandings" with CBP and DEA over other documents.

Pilots have recently been threatened for lack of written weight and balance sheets for Part 91 flights, with no probable cause for being detained. It's not a stretch at all to expect a risk of having your log confiscated or its contents misconstrued.

There's nothing "tinfoil hatter" about wanting to keep your logbook away from the plane. <snip> It's not a stretch at all to expect a risk of having your log confiscated or its contents misconstrued.

How is something confiscated that's never relinquished?

You have read all the articles, including those on AOPA, that tell you to never "hand over" anything but rather to simply "show" the required docs...but never allow them to leave your hand????? Right??.

Oh wait...

I said I wouldn't get into a argument with the tinfoil hat crowd..,

:idea:

Ignore thread...

Goodbye!

So, just solve that problem by ordering a copy from OKC. Fill out form 8060-56, send it in with a whopping two bucks and the FAA will send you another one. Keep one safe, wear out the other.
In order to do that, you must report your old one lost or destroyed, and the new one will be identifiable as a re-issuance. If your old one then turns up before the FAA in your hands, you will have a lot of explaining to do.

Pilots have recently been threatened for lack of written weight and balance sheets for Part 91 flights, with no probable cause for being detained. It's not a stretch at all to expect a risk of having your log confiscated or its contents misconstrued.
The FAA has no legal authority to "confiscate" your logbook. However, if you do not abide by the rules in 61.51, or include information not required by that regulation, it's easy to see how things could be misconstrued, and it won't matter if you have it with you or produce it later on demand.

You have read all the articles, including those on AOPA, that tell you to never "hand over" anything but rather to simply "show" the required docs...but never allow them to leave your hand????? Right??.
Regardless of what may have been written in AOPA Pilot (or misinterpreted by the readers of that publication), the regulations require you to "present" those documents upon request, and that means physically handing them over for inspection. Refusal to allow that inspection (i.e., refusing to hand the documents to the Inspector) is a violation of the regulations punishable by enforcement action -- well tested in case law. At the same time, absent an existing order of suspension or revocation of those certificates, the Inspector is required to return them promptly -- and that has been tested before the Supreme Court.

In order to do that, you must report your old one lost or destroyed, and the new one will be identifiable as a re-issuance. If your old one then turns up before the FAA in your hands, you will have a lot of explaining to do.

Doubt you'd have a lot of explaining to do since things lost are frequently found. Question is, does the original become invalid after a replacement is issued? The whole thing seems really silly to me since the FAA can confirm who holds a valid medical electronically without ever even seeing a piece of paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not knowledgable enough to challenge that, but do you have a source?
Ask them yourself.
FOIA Desk Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM-331 Civil Aerospace Medical Institute Federal Aviation Administration P.O. Box 26200 Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0080

Piece of cake with the right tools.

How? It's a scan and print of something that was printed on an office printer to begin with. It's not the old days where it came off the application pad. Besides, nobody cares anymore, they go on their smart phone or iPad and look you up in the database.

Don't you people have flight bags? Some sort of satchel or headset case you always fly with?

That's where my medical, pilot cert and passport go. Also keep all the hotel and airline loyalty cards in there too, although now I have an app for that.

I can sign the new one with a pen as well after eliminating the old one before printing.
If you want to commit violations of half a dozen FAA regulations and Federal felony criminal code sections, hoping the Feds can't detect your forgery, you go right ahead. I'm done.

What if my AME prints two copies and I sign both. Which one is the "forgery"?

If you want to commit violations of half a dozen FAA regulations and Federal felony criminal code sections, hoping the Feds can't detect your forgery, you go right ahead. I'm done.

You have yet to post the reg where there is anything illegal about it. It's NOT a forgery, everything about it is authentic, it has the correct reference number and all the data as well as MY signature, the only signature involved.

Back