Where do you complete your run-up?

Questions like this make one wonder why the CFI who taught them didn't go over this basic stuff in detail.

Because their CFI likely never flew outside of the school environment, and their CFI's CFI, who also never likley flew outside of the school environment, never taught them.

I just love when someone wants a specific answer to a question that has so many variables.

As the OP, I was just sharing the fact that I was always taught one way and thought it was the way to do it. since I am still a relatively low hour pilot, I was surprised when I saw the video of someone doing the run-up on the ramp. That is what prompted the question.

I really appreciate everyone's response. Appears it got a lot of reviews and comments. Thanks.

StevieD

As the OP, I was just sharing the fact that I was always taught one way and thought it was the way to do it. since I am still a relatively low hour pilot, I was surprised when I saw the video of someone doing the run-up on the ramp. That is what prompted the question.

I really appreciate everyone's response. Appears it got a lot of reviews and comments. Thanks.

StevieD
If you are ever out just tooling around building XC time, let me know. You can come down to 1A9 and I'll buy you a Coke.

Is the procedure for leaning for takeoff the same as leaning for cruise?

No. In cruise, leaning is by EGT. For high DA takeoff, keep an eye on EGT but lean for max RPM. It's somewhat different with a constant speed propellor.

Imagine the cluster that ensues at a busy airport with a dead plane at the hold short line.

This is why KAPA won't let anyone anywhere near a hold short line without a specific clearance to go there by ground in sequence, and then "monitor tower". Too much traffic and too much dissimilar traffic.

They'll let @Everskyward taxi right past me in the jet, to get her out first. Always. Hahaha. ;)

I got the "Monitor Tower" thing today after I noticed they decided to do a runway switch from 17 to 35. I sat at the hold line at 35R for a solid five minutes or more while they un-clustered their newly created cluster, both on the ground and in the air. All for a 5 knot variable wind that was more cross wind than either north or south by the time I pushed the throttle up.

They apparently have decided they're paranoid about go-arounds on 28 now also, and won't launch anyone on the 17/35 complex if someone is landing 28. That kinda makes sense but it's new procedure for them, and they're announcing it to people after giving them a "line up and wait... landing traffic Runway 28"...

Someone must have gone around and about whacked someone departing 35R/17L. They've always been paranoid about the taxiway there because tall aircraft taxiing by meant no landings on 10 if the Alpha taxiway is in use. But it's getting stricter now.

Going to be a total Zoo when they close 35R/17L in September for repaving.

No. In cruise, leaning is by EGT. For high DA takeoff, keep an eye on EGT but lean for max RPM. It's somewhat different with a constant speed propellor.

My first couple lessons were in a 152, and I remember leaning for an rpm spike. But then I switched to the 172 and it was full rich for takeoff. I figured it was just the difference in airplanes. But I seem to remember my instructor saying he changed to only leaning during taxi and cruise to save engines.

My CFI in the mighty 172 told me about leaning for takeoff in high DA, but never mentioned leaning on the ground. Since buying the Mooney, leaning on the ground is very important--I pull it about 2/3 towards Idle/Cutoff, and sometimes if taxiing uphill need to enrichen some to keep the engine running. But I don't have any lead balls in my plugs anymore.

Both recommend leaning for takeoff at high DA.

Here in Tucson except for maybe the dead of winter the DA is always up. In the 150 I usually lean for taxi then after runup lean not quite so much for takeoff

If I see another pilot in the FBO, or even just one of the guys working out on the ramp, I'll ask them about where folks usually do their runup. Seems like every airport is different. You can always ask the ground controllers, too. But basically, ask somebody, watch your prop blast and try to be polite by staying out of other airplanes' way.

To me it depends on situation. First preference - If there is a run up ramp by the runway, i will do it there. If there is a spot on the ramp where the blast is away from other airplanes, people and buildings, I will go to that spot. I generally like to be ready to go at the hold short line if at all possible.

This has been my dilemma too at the Class C I'm in now. No obvious run up area. However, there are some ANG armament pads to the side of the taxiways. I haven't asked ground yet if I can use them for run up. Anyone ever done that? So far wind has been calm on both my flights out and I just use the end of the row of T hangars to do mine. Fairly quiet T hangar area so no one has ever been around or hangar doors open.

You can use that area. Just do it or if you want to play it safe just ask GC. If the ANG isn't flying no reason not to.

This is why KAPA won't let anyone anywhere near a hold short line without a specific clearance to go there by ground in sequence, and then "monitor tower". Too much traffic and too much dissimilar traffic.

They'll let @Everskyward taxi right past me in the jet, to get her out first. Always. Hahaha. ;)

I got the "Monitor Tower" thing today after I noticed they decided to do a runway switch from 17 to 35. I sat at the hold line at 35R for a solid five minutes or more while they un-clustered their newly created cluster, both on the ground and in the air. All for a 5 knot variable wind that was more cross wind than either north or south by the time I pushed the throttle up.

They apparently have decided they're paranoid about go-arounds on 28 now also, and won't launch anyone on the 17/35 complex if someone is landing 28. That kinda makes sense but it's new procedure for them, and they're announcing it to people after giving them a "line up and wait... landing traffic Runway 28"...

Someone must have gone around and about whacked someone departing 35R/17L. They've always been paranoid about the taxiway there because tall aircraft taxiing by meant no landings on 10 if the Alpha taxiway is in use. But it's getting stricter now.

Going to be a total Zoo when they close 35R/17L in September for repaving.

Holy crap. I'm glad I am not based there!

Wow, I can't believe I never thought about this before (still a student pilot operating only out of KFRG), so thanks for this thread. FRG has named run-up areas, near the departure end of most runways, but looking now on the airport diagram, they aren't labeled as such on there. KAPA has one labeled. I suppose I could just ask Ground if they had a designated spot at an unfamiliar airport. I'm trying to think, every airport I've been to on XCs has had a spot near the departure end that is pretty clearly the run-up area, with dotted lines painted on the pavement.

Wow, I can't believe I never thought about this before (still a student pilot operating only out of KFRG), so thanks for this thread. FRG has named run-up areas, near the departure end of most runways, but looking now on the airport diagram, they aren't labeled as such on there. KAPA has one labeled. I suppose I could just ask Ground if they had a designated spot at an unfamiliar airport. I'm trying to think, every airport I've been to on XCs has had a spot near the departure end that is pretty clearly the run-up area, with dotted lines painted on the pavement.

Lots of local names are used for various things. If you respond with "unfamiliar," ATC will use standard names. Locally, we have a lot of unpublished but named VFR departure procedures. A "Right Dumbarton Departure" at PAO will be translated to "right crosswind departure extend to the auto bridge," for instance.

Run-up areas can be named by runway if they are at one, or by a taxiway letter. Sometimes both if there is a run-up area on both sides of the same runway (e.g., Fresno -- that place sure has a lot of run up areas).

I've found some words are magical. I found if I say I'm taxiing from a known local point at the airport, I get everything read back much quicker and directed to other stuff much quicker too. If I say I'm taxiing from transient, everything slows way the hell down and half the ground transmissions end with "no rush." It's kinda nice... until ground gets familiar with my tail number and my temporary parking spot in transient... then back to the rapid fire instructions.

You guys are killing me! Sure is a lot of "Ask ground" . . . I've been to over 100 airports, I don't think ten have had anyone to ask. As a student, I visited one nearby towered field for my ten required landings, and a second one for my checkride.

Guess it takes all kinds. (Just like you're thinking about me. ;)

You guys are killing me! Sure is a lot of "Ask ground" . . . I've been to over 100 airports, I don't think ten have had anyone to ask. As a student, I visited one nearby towered field for my ten required landings, and a second one for my checkride.

I'm the reverse. I've only flown into a handful of non-towered airports. I have asked ground about run up spots several times.

Heh. That's a very "center of the country" rural problem. Empty airports are interesting. They always feel kinda like a ghost town with pretty lights.

Heh. That's a very "center of the country" rural problem. Empty airports are interesting. They always feel kinda like a ghost town with pretty lights.

Guess I need to update my map. AL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, NY and a dozen more (including flyovers like IN, NE, SD, IA . . .). Wonder where I last saved that thing?

@Hank S - Am actually a bit envious of rural flying. I'm trying to get more acclimated to airports without towers, as I got pretty spoiled during my initial training always having other people navigate me around. All the hustle bustle of my home base gets exhausting, and I ultimately want to end up switching to a quieter untowered field.

I have a good mix of my not-so-many airports. Lots of untowered stuff, and towered from class D MGM to class B ATL. BTW, you want to try to fly this weekend @Hank S ?

@Hank S - Am actually a bit envious of rural flying. I'm trying to get more acclimated to airports without towers, as I got pretty spoiled during my initial training always having other people navigate me around. All the hustle bustle of my home base gets exhausting, and I ultimately want to end up switching to a quieter untowered field.

Yep, you'll love it! I always do a 360 in the run-up area to look for pattern traffic (as well as monitoring the CTAF, of course), make my radio call and go.

A nice change from towered Chino, where it was so busy once that the controller asked me to stay outside the airspace and call back in five minutes...

Use common sense. 99% of the time where I fly this doesn't matter. You might as well just do it at the hold short line because 9 out of 10 times there aren't any other active aircraft taxiing and the one other time he's probably just leaving the ramp so you've got a couple minutes. Your airport my vary, especially if it's a class C.

At the controlled fields, the controllers generally seem to be aware that piston singles usually don't do their runup on the roll like the big commercial guys. They may ask you to hold short at an intersection somewhere to let another flight past, or ask you if you can handle an intersection departure to get you out of the way of the aircraft that need the whole runway. Larger busier airports that I've been to almost always have the little pull-off areas near the runway to do your runup in too. Try to pull off in a way that allows other aircraft to get around you if need be.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, as long as it gets done before takeoff you got the important part right. Just try to use common sense to avoid inconveniencing others and you'll probably be fine. If in doubt, key the mic and communicate. I've been flying for around 3 years now and I've yet to have to wait more than a minute or two for someone to get out of the way... and that's really rare. I suppose some busy airports may be different but I've yet to have a problem.

One extra piece of mind for doing the run up closer to the runway is taxiing on one tank, and then doing the run up on the other to insure both are feeding. Not sure this helps much of you've got 4 tanks, though.

For those of you doing run up during the taxi, are you just riding the brakes for that period to make sure you don't go too fast? Any concern about extra wear on the brakes?

if I do the run up during taxi, I don't touch the brakes. Should be able to do the runup quick enough that you don't build up much speed.

if I do the run up during taxi, I don't touch the brakes. Should be able to do the runup quick enough that you don't build up much speed.
Agreed,,, plus you should be on the taxiway, with no one behind you. and be ready on the roll, and tell the tower that you can be ready at the hold short line.

no slopes on your taxiways? that must be nice...flatlanders, meh

Where in New England are you? I ask, because I did my PPL in RI and found that CT/RI/MA/ME have far more uncontrolled fields than towers. My CFI made sure to mix both, but we spent alot more time without towers simply due to the nature of the area.

It's usually the folks learning to fly in Southern California that have a harder time finding uncontrolled airports. Lot more towers there.

A nice change from towered Chino, where it was so busy once that the controller asked me to stay outside the airspace and call back in five minutes...
I once spent nearly 10 minutes orbiting over Gillespie just trying to make contact with MYF tower. It can get nuts on good weather days.

Back