When use OBS mode with garmin gps?

DaveInPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Got a garmin gtn 650 and 750 and been wondering what scenarios would the OBS mode be helpful. I think I get what the OBS mode does. From your present position it draws a radial and it suspends the gps sequencing.

so when is this ever helpful?

I don't know. In the Garmin world, I think Garmin's "course to waypoint" is more useful because it accomplishes the same function but retains automatic sequencing. But that's really a user preference like using VTF vs Activate Leg.

I did this video which compares intercepting a radial in an Avidyne and a Garmin. In the Garmin I show both OBS mode and Course To.

I rarely use it. The last time I used it was on an ifr clearance that gave a vor to fly to and a radial to depart the vor from. I think even those clearances are going away as they modernize the system for gps rnav.

I used it a lot with my 300XL, especially for holds, where I could set OBS (called Hold on the 300XL), dial in the hold course, and then have a magenta line to track on my 396 (which was hard-wired to the 300XL and got its flight plan from it; the 396 has been replaced with an Aera 660). But with the GTNs and the GNC 355 that’s getting installed now, having the Hold feature pretty much replaces that.

There are times I lead formation flights and I like to set the airport as the destination, set Hold, and dial in the runway heading, again to give a nice magenta line to keep track of. I’ll probably still do that, if only out of habit, but with the built-in procedure turn capability, you’re right: there’s not a lot of times it’s used.

Add: I could also see it being useful to manage “Fly heading 030 to intercept V17, then direct ACT”; I could set it to ACT and dial in 001 and have a magenta line to watch.

Last edited:
BTW, it's different in the GNS where OBS Mode is, I think, the best way of doing holds that are not in the database. You can still do it that way in the GTN if you don't know how to create holds.

BTW, it's different in the GNS where OBS Mode is, I think, the best way of doing holds that are not in the database. You can still do it that way in the GTN if you don't know how to create holds.
Thanks - I’ll check it out, although the 355 does seem to let me do a “custom” hold with the ability to input the fix, course, and leg lengths.

I fly to remote villages in SW Alaska and use the OBS feature a lot. The runways can be hard to see, especially in the marginal VFR weather we operate in.

Dial the runway heading into the CDI, hit OBS and now I can set up for a base entry or straight in. Reduces eye strain looking for a runway in one of the many slots in the trees.

I fly to remote villages in SW Alaska and use the OBS feature a lot. The runways can be hard to see, especially in the marginal VFR weather we operate in.

Dial the runway heading into the CDI, hit OBS and now I can set up for a base entry or straight in. Reduces eye strain looking for a runway in one of the many slots in the trees.

I used to do that a lot also when I had the 430. Now that I have a 650xi, I don't have to because it automatically paints the extended centerline on the map.

Your GNC 355 works like the GTN in the video.
Oops - I thought you were referring to the GTN series. My bad (OP had asked about GTNs, which tunnel-visioned me)

Last edited:
Back