When to retract the gear

Wonder if there is a Russian equivalent for "positive rate". :eek:

Troy Whistman said:
  1. Accelerate to Vr
  2. Raise nose of aircraft (fixed wing only) slightly
Thanks for recognizing the difference. Troy.

We view the world differently :D

Come to hover.
Dip nose slightly.
Get thru ETL.
Drop nose a whole lot more.
Allow nose to come back up at 50/50!

wesleyj said:
All of what has been said is basically true, add 1 item, if flying a single engine leave gear down until no usable runway remains under you,

Nyet Comrade!! I's learned in the Russian Air Force that pilot must raise lever before taxi. get gear up quick at take off to go shoot down American imperialist running dogs faster!! :rolleyes::D:eek:

For those of us using the 'ol Johnson Bar...I can have the gear up or down within seconds. With long runways I wont wait untill there is no useable runway left, if needed, i can have the gear back down in a flash. Id rather get my speed up and climb out.

Speed permitting....turn left at the end, Tovarich!

Dunno - but there IS a word for not waiting until you have a positive rate:

Gulag.

yeeps.

Michael said:
For those of us using the 'ol Johnson Bar...I can have the gear up or down within seconds. With long runways I wont wait untill there is no useable runway left, if needed, i can have the gear back down in a flash. Id rather get my speed up and climb out.

I tried that reasoning with an FAA ops inspector last summer at a PACE event. She did buy it, said I'd likely forget in an emergency. A reasonable point. I wait a little longer now. Does take much to be too high to get back to the runway.

Speaking from someone who only has 8 hours of complex time...and first hand experience with a Beechcraft Sierra becoming a glider.....I don't retract gear until I'm out of runway.

I understand that this is different in the twin world.

Michael said:

Depends on the airplane too. For instance when I fly a retract it is either a C172RG or the 182RG. The Cessna during gear and up or down creates a lot more drag than when it is just left down. Better to leave it down until you are sure you won't need it and have a well established climb than bring it up too early and then have an engine out or power loss situation, try dropping the gear and stall out from the increased drag.

In the Baron I raise the gear at the pre-determined point where I am comfortable with continuing on one engine should the other fail. Typically that means Vyse and 100 AGL, but those requirements can change depending on the situation. The old standard of "Positive rate, gear up" is only applicable to turbine equipment IMO.

Troy Whistman said:
  1. Accelerate to Vr
  2. Raise nose of aircraft (fixed wing only) slightly
  3. Wait until Rate of Climb Indicator goes positive
  4. Wait for 3 more seconds just to be sure
  5. Then, and ONLY THEN, retract the landing gear
http://www.whistman.com/files/Russian_TO_attempt.mpg

I swear that just as it hits 9 seconds on the video the commentator says something that sounds like "idiot". :D

Troy:

Of course, it depends.

On what you're flyin and until you're ahead of that type aircraft, what you propose is fine. As has been said, there is a school of thought now that one should wait until landing on the current runway isn't an option. Raising the gear at that point is a signal to you and others that the gear is coming up and that means there will be an off airport landing if the engine fails.

In my turboed aircraft, at Vr I put slight back pressure on the yoke until the front strut is light, then, let the plane tell me when it's ready to lift off. I lift off a foot or two and accellerate in ground effect to 120 knots when the the intercooler becomes efficient, then do a cruise climb. The gear comes up when off the ground when I have positive control.

I like to think if the engine fails I will have enough energy to raise the nose slightly and lower the gear. If I don't get the gear down, that's the least of my problems.

In the twin, they do teach when the gear comes up, one flies on one engine. If it's down, one lands on the existing runway.

Before any flight with a CFI or examiner I talk through this. If they disagree, I do it their way for that flight ;-). The DE here was fine with it as long as he understood what I was doing and why.

Best,

Dave

Good, safe technique, Dave. I should have put a disclaimer that I wasn't outlining a rule of operation... I was just commenting on the outcome in the attached video... make sure you have an ESTABLISHED positive rate of climb, and then, and only then (in addition to whatever other 'rules' you use), should one retract the gear.

Back