When to fire your flight school? (PPL Rotary Add-on)

calereeves

Filing Flight Plan
***Just finished typing this book. When I set out, I didn't intend to type this much, but I felt it was necessary to give the full background on my last few days with this new flight school. Bottom line is, I feel my new flight school is milking me, rather than training me. Who else has been in that situation, and what did you do?***

I finished my fixed wing PPL in March, working toward my goal of 100 hrs total flight time by October, for application to USAF pilot training. My fixed wing time was all through a part 141 operation on base at the Aero Club. I enjoyed the program, which follows the jeppesen syllabus, and completed a self-study ground school concurrently with the flight time. Total time in training was 4.5 months, which was fairly quick, considering winter weather in Alaska.

I feel like I'm a reasonably competent student. I do what I can to prepare for flight lessons ahead of time. I read my ground school studies, and look at how to apply them in the lessons. I'm motivated to move through training and continue flying, and I'm anxious to build time.

To broaden my experiences--and just because I've always wanted to learn how--I started my helicopter add-on at a part 141 flight school. Unfortunately the Aero Clubs don't do any rotary operations. I completed my first four lessons in four consecutive days, the fourth lesson was today.

During my initial discussion with the instructor, he made it abundantly clear (I think he said it four times) that nobody is ready for their check ride in the FAA minimum time. I realize that average flight times are much higher than minimum requirements, but let's see how I progress before we start throwing out numbers, eh? First flights have all gone well, though they're much shorter than what I'd like. Today's flight (fourth one) went very well... the hover is under control, nowhere near perfect, but passable; pattern work was just fine; made a couple of landings with no instructor inputs; forward, lateral, and aft hovering was accomplished; pedal turns were fine. I clearly have a long way to go, and much more to learn, but according to the school's syllabus, and the lesson objectives, I'm ahead by a full lesson or more.

After the flight, we went into the office for the debrief, and covered a ground lesson on basic aerodynamics of helicopter flight. Verrrrryyyyy basic. I realize he has to accommodate a WIDE range of background knowledge for his students, and will assume that he needs to start from the beginning. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, or be "that" student, so I politely listened, indicated my understanding, and continued through the lesson. At the end, I asked if we'd be able to accelerate some if the ground school, as I did in my last Part 141 venture with the fixed-wing training, so we could focus more on the flight time. He was noncommittal.

What really frosted me at the end of the lesson, and most likely is the largest driver of my unhappiness with this school, is the end of lesson bill. The school's policy is to bill for the time you've reserved. I had 0900-1200 blocked out, hoping we could do some extra flying (the previous three lessons were all two-hour blocks.) We pre-flighted, flew for 0.8, then spent 1.7 doing the aerodynamics review. We finished the lesson at 1130, when the instructor said, OK, we're done, lets look at the schedule for when you want to fly again. I was billed for the full 3 hours. When I questioned it, the receptionist who does the billing referred me to the policy of billing for the reserved block of time. I responded that the instructor ended the lesson, not me. She said that they would credit that amount on my next lesson if I'd bring receipt and remind them (I noticed the billing when I got home, and called her.)

I called up on Monday to start my training on Tuesday. I had no trouble getting a 2-hour block to start my training, and each day, I blocked time for the next day, no more than 24 hours in advance. Initially, I was happy that it was so easy to schedule time with them, as I'm time constrained and want to fly as much as possible. Now I'm starting to think it's so easy to book time with them because they're light on clientele, and I'm being used as a filler/bill-payer.

If there was another Part 141 operation available in the area, I'd check them out, but this place is the ONLY one in the state. There are two other schools, both Part 61 outfits. I'm going to talk to one of them tomorrow and discuss my goals and timelines, and see what they're willing to do to accommodate. My next lesson with my current instructor is not yet scheduled, but I'm going to sit down with him and voice my unease with the current situation. If nothing changes, i think it's time for me to move on.

If you've made it this far, who else has fired their flight school and moved on? Why did you?

It's very common for heli training operations to reserve blocks of X hours or half hours on the schedule. But of all the ones I have been to I have never seen any that bill you by the block. All the ones I have seen bill you by the hobbs for dual or solo time, and if there is any extra ground instruction, the instructor adds that separately, e.g. 0.3 hour at X per hour ground time.
Helis are expensive enough as it is, so most schools and FBOs try to minimize the pain by being fair.

Last edited:
I know nothing about those rotor wing contraptions, but why are set on 141? This may be one of those times it isn't the right fit. Again, I'm not saying it's not, just asking.

I know nothing about those rotor wing contraptions, but why are set on 141? This may be one of those times it isn't the right fit. Again, I'm not saying it's not, just asking.

OP said they did their initial fixed wing through an on-base flight club that was 141. Probably using parent GI Bill benefits to do their flight training before applying to the AF which requires 141.

For the OP, my question is why are you so bent on getting your helicopter add-on now?

You already have your fixed wing and it sounds like you have what it takes to fly helos if that is the pipeline they give you. Why not just enjoy flying fixed wing while you apply and if rotary wing is what they give you, you can easily get the add on to your FAA certificate by submitting the paperwork.

What you are experiencing sounds like the recent helicopter school crap that has made recent headlines for milking the GI Bill benefits.

Looks like another school milking the system,or the customer. Go find a better school.

Looks like another school milking the system,or the customer. Go find a better school.

And this is EXACTLY why the GI Bill is coming under congressional scrutiny in recent months....largely because of companies like the OP describes taking advantage of the helicopter loophole.

If it's made you think about it enough to write a post that long, then its time for you to go. There are tons of schools part 61 or 141, and tons of good people who are willing to train you and get paid appropriately without ripping you off.

I've fired a flight instructor before, I ignored my gut and stuck it out longer than I should have. Dont do that. I had a lot of extra time getting my cert because the instructor I fired never "taught" me anything. It was always "you should know this already", even if I had never been taught that maneuver. We never did a single ground reference maneuver, etc. All we ever did was pound the pavement (which isnt a bad thing) and talk about how we needed to work on other stuff but it was always "next time". He was frequently late, even a bit hung over once or twice

I was way over 40 hours when I fired him and still had never even done a ground reference maneuver. I got my new instructor, he refined a few things, taught me a few things and that was that. Done. Wish I would have done that sooner. I actually fired the FBO and whole airport because of that situation. I always felt like an outsider there, they never took me seriously.. I actually asked about planes for sale and they told me I'd never buy one, etc. If you werent a super old timer local, you pretty much didnt get spoken to. All this happened as I was buying an airplane and told myself that I wasnt going to reward them with my tie down fee every month and my maintenance and gas.

I called around and found the airport closer to me had re-opened from after a bad financial situation. When I called them they were over the top friendly and welcoming. I called the CFI there... same thing. They even encouraged me to "bring the whole family...even the dog" to take a tour because "aviation is a family affair". I was made to feel 100% at home even by the locals. The FBO caught wind they had lost a customer I think, they emailed me once or twice, which I ignored. I still have a +$50 credit on file with them but I refuse to go there.

Bottom line its your money, you dictate how you spend it. If you're not 100% happy, spend it elsewhere. Youve spent enough mental energy on it, that should be an indicator.

EDITED to add on: One of my final straws was almost colliding with a glider on final because their radio was broke so they werent transmitting, and doing a go around under sky divers. The glider club rep giving me crap about it and the FBO owner saying that I was in the right to be upset and I did everything correct but he did nothing about it (ie tell the gliders to fix their radios or have someone call out the traffic, etc). He just shrugged.

Last edited:
I was at a flight school (141) where billing flight time was more important than the actual training. I had an instructor (for 10 minutes) that told me his paycheck was more important than my training so we would fly as much as possible.

I left, went to another school and was much happier.

That billing schedule sounds like total BS. I'd walk and find another school. The other option is to simply tell them, this is how I want to be trained and this is how I'm willing to pay for it. If you want my money then you can play by the rules I give you. Since you're basically expecting them to play by the rules normal schools do I don't think you're out of line in doing that. To me it seems like too much pain in the ass though. I'd just go somewhere else.

Find another flight school. You're the customer and you have the right to go somewhere else that won't nickel and dime you.

If it's made you think about it enough to write a post that long, then its time for you to go.
This!

The only regrets you will ever have about a decision like this is that you didn't make it sooner.

If that is the only 141 school...then is your CFI the chief CFI?...if so, you are screwed. If not simply set up a meeting with the chief CFI and let him know that you are not clicking with your current CFI and see if there are any other options for other instructors to continue your training. You don't need to go into much more detail with that so that you are not screwing yourself if he is your only option.

On the billing...I would just watch that like a hawk that you are getting what you paid for. I don't have as much as as problem with the block billing...as long as you are getting that full time that you pay for.

If they are truly jerking you around and you have the time and money, go look at an accelerated program where you pound it all out in two weeks. I know they are all over for fixed wing...no ideas on whirly bird accelerated options.

Last edited:
I'm not bound by VA benefits to a 141 school. I liked the 141 program for the fixed wing, so I sought out the same sort of structure, and I really like the slightly lessened hours requirements.

That said, I went and visited one of the 61 schools this morning, and after talking to one of the owners, I'll be scheduling some flight time with them next week. It's a few dollars an hour cheaper, AND they only bill based on Hobbs time, no standard pre/post time added to it. The only down side I can see so far is that this is a smaller school, so scheduling might be a little tougher, but I guess you can't have it all!

I considered one of the accelerated programs (there's a big one in Bend, OR), Shawn, but there are none here in Alaska. The new school I'm going to try out told me about a guy who just came in from the Philippines and blocked out 2 weeks to get his commercial (he already has a PI commercial). They said they're flying as much as he wants to so as to meet his needs.

Sounds like they're a little more accommodating.

I'm not bound by VA benefits to a 141 school. I liked the 141 program for the fixed wing, so I sought out the same sort of structure, and I really like the slightly lessened hours requirements.

That said, I went and visited one of the 61 schools this morning, and after talking to one of the owners, I'll be scheduling some flight time with them next week. It's a few dollars an hour cheaper, AND they only bill based on Hobbs time, no standard pre/post time added to it. The only down side I can see so far is that this is a smaller school, so scheduling might be a little tougher, but I guess you can't have it all!

I considered one of the accelerated programs (there's a big one in Bend, OR), Shawn, but there are none here in Alaska. The new school I'm going to try out told me about a guy who just came in from the Philippines and blocked out 2 weeks to get his commercial (he already has a PI commercial). They said they're flying as much as he wants to so as to meet his needs.

Sounds like they're a little more accommodating.
My only question is....if your goal is to fly for the Air Force and you aren't using GI Bill benefits and limited to a 141 school, what is the rush to get the helicopter add on now?

That is a lot of money to spend when Uncle Sam will pay to train you and then you can get the helicopter added to the commercial certificate that you will be eligible for once you complete your military training.

Back