When to buy your own plane?

How are you disagreeing?
Check my second sentence.

What ever happened to reading? (could not resist)

Tim

I disagree with your first sentence.

And I disagree with the second, the implication you have to sacrifice much. Other than that new plane smell, and even that can be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a very well equipped and lower time C182P, plan on $85k to $95k.

Your estimate is just gonna get one that requires lots of expensive upgrades and/or repairs.
Closer to $110k-120k from what I've seen. Not many well equipped ones right now.

I disagree with your first sentence.

And I disagree with the second, the implication you have to sacrifice much. Other than that new plane smell, and even that can be fixed.

If you want to match a two year old Cirrus SR20, and buy a two year old Mooney (if it existed) or a two year old Bonanza, or a two year old Diamond or a two year old Cirrus, you are going to spend more. Just the cost of the loan will be more. Not sure how you can disagree with the math. Oh, and an old plane with the VOCs sprayed on the inside to give it a new plane smell is not the same thing. Not even close.

As for the second statement, you are the one implying it is a big sacrifice. I never implied how much or how little those items matter. Further down I state it is up to your priorities which will determine this.

Tim

If you want to match a two year old Cirrus SR20, and buy a two year old Mooney (if it existed) or a two year old Bonanza, or a two year old Diamond or a two year old Cirrus, you are going to spend more. Just the cost of the loan will be more. Not sure how you can disagree with the math. Oh, and an old plane with the VOCs sprayed on the inside to give it a new plane smell is not the same thing. Not even close.

As for the second statement, you are the one implying it is a big sacrifice. I never implied how much or how little those items matter. Further down I state it is up to your priorities which will determine this.

Tim

You're missing my point. A 30 year old airplane for way less money bests that two year old plane in capability for far less money.

No 30 yo plane bests a 2 yo plane. Pricing proves it.

You're missing my point. A 30 year old airplane for way less money bests that two year old plane in capability for far less money.

Oh I get your point. But you obviously do not value many features on newer aircraft. And that is your choice. But you are making value judgement and giving up the capability to save money. And this is perfectly reasonable to do, but it is a choice like I stated.

Tim

Oh I get your point. But you obviously do not value many features on newer aircraft. And that is your choice. But you are making value judgement and giving up the capability to save money. And this is perfectly reasonable to do, but it is a choice like I stated.

Tim

But what features? I can fly a WAAS coupled approach to the same minimums with synthetic vision in an older airplane. Even one 30 years old. The only feature that isn't universally installable is BRS but even that is available under STC for some airframes...

I certainly can repaint and put in entirely new interiors and panels and engines and still land cheaper than some new models...

My point is that all too often those new to airplane ownership don't understand how much longer lived many airframes are than say automobiles. A new 36 Bonanza isn't much different as an airframe than one built 30 years ago...

lol, you may want to expand on this a bit more.

No expansion needed. On it's face it is absurd to contend a 30yo plane has intrinsic value beyond a 2yo plane. If 30yo planes were superior to new planes then no new planes would ever be made or sold. And the pricing would reflect the value theory - the old planes would cost more, the new ones less. And of course, they don't.

But what features? I can fly a WAAS coupled approach to the same minimums with synthetic vision in an older airplane. Even one 30 years old. The only feature that isn't universally installable is BRS but even that is available under STC for some airframes...

I certainly can repaint and put in entirely new interiors and panels and engines and still land cheaper than some new models...

My point is that all too often those new to airplane ownership don't understand how much longer lived many airframes are than say automobiles. A new 36 Bonanza isn't much different as an airframe than one built 30 years ago...

Can you install the Avadyne R9 or the G1000 in that 30 year old piston plane (excluding the PA46, which has a refit available)? Can you install the DFC-90 or the GFC-700?
Can you get hypoxia protection?
Can you get 23G crash protection seats?
Can you get envelop protection?

There is plenty more.

Tim

To get back to the OPs questions.

If you love to fly, and can afford to buy, do it. Trust me. Nothing beats owning and flying your own plane. Nothing. We can list the pros and cons all day long. We can do the math, we can make arguments either way. In the end, nothing beats owning and flying your own plane.

I bought my Archer during my PPL training. After putting $25k down, I paid $3k/mo and paid it off in two years. I put another $15k into various repairs, and suffered three annuals of $10k, $6k, and $5k. My monthly budget was $5k/mo, and that included at least 4hrs/week of flying. (And it was hangared.) I put at least 400hrs of flying on the plane by the time it was paid off. Once it was paid off, I kept my budget at $5k and used the extra $3k (that way no longer being used for payments) to fund my IR training. Now, the plane is paid off and is in pretty good shape, and I have my IR, and I'm putting that extra $3k/mo into savings to step up in a few years. (Or to overhaul the engine when the time comes.)

Yes, I probably would have spent less money renting. But I doubt I would have gained 500hrs of PIC in just 2.5 years in a rental, and I certainly wouldn't have gained the varied experience that owning allowed me to gain. Long XCs, overnight trips, 2AM flights to practice night ops and shoot simulated approaches, or just going up and fiddling around with everything in the plane to ensure I really know her systems. All these things are doable in rentals, but you're less likely to do them due to the costs or restrictive rental rules/scheduling.

I have yet to regret a single penny spent owning. Despite the cost, it is always worth it, because the money is being spent on MY plane, to improve MY safety, (and the safety of my passengers), not lining the pockets of the owners of the aircraft I am renting, possibly at the expense of MY safety in favor of their bank accounts.

If you truly love flying, you'll never regret owning.

$160 an hour for a Cirrus of any variety is a pretty good rate. My old club had a SR22 that rented for $235hr and that was considered to be very reasonable.
shoot.. i just looked a a '16 SR22 for rent here at VGT and it was $435/hr

Can you install the Avadyne R9 or the G1000 in that 30 year old piston plane (excluding the PA46, which has a refit available)? Can you install the DFC-90 or the GFC-700?

There is plenty more.

Tim

So a G500 is pretty good. Yes you can install a GFC-700 but a King KFC is a very good autopilot too. How bout this can you retrofit a real roll cage? Or laminar flow wings or retract gear? The point being you can get pretty close.

But how about this, like double the performance for half the price? Faster higher longer range and can fly all the same approaches....

I'm gonna say this one 20 years or so old airplane beats the pants performance and capability wise off this three year old one at 1/2 the price. And both have glass!

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17421261/1999-mooney-m20m-bravo

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/18577457/2015-cirrus-sr20-g3

I could flip this around and show a old Cirrus beating a new Mooney in value.

The point is you pay an almost absurd premium for new. And again yes there are older airplanes for less money with more top line capability (load, range, speed, approaches, autopilot, TKS etc)

So a G500 is pretty good. Yes you can install a GFC-700 but a King KFC is a very good autopilot too. How bout this can you retrofit a real roll cage? Or laminar flow wings or retract gear? The point being you can get pretty close.

But how about this, like double the performance for half the price? Faster higher longer range and can fly all the same approaches....

I'm gonna say this one 20 years or so old airplane beats the pants performance and capability wise off this three year old one at 1/2 the price. And both have glass!

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17421261/1999-mooney-m20m-bravo

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/18577457/2015-cirrus-sr20-g3

I could flip this around and show a old Cirrus beating a new Mooney in value.

The point is you pay an almost absurd premium for new. And again yes there are older airplanes for less money with more top line capability (load, range, speed, approaches, autopilot, TKS etc)

Debating with a moving target is always interesting. :D
You just proved and stated that it is not the same, that the old airplane cannot do everything the new one can. In some cases, a new plane may not be able to do what an old one will (best example is new Bo versus old Bo for UL).
But at the end of the day, it is a value judgement about what YOU want.

Tim

If you love to fly, and can afford to buy, do it. Trust me. Nothing beats owning and flying your own plane. Nothing. We can list the pros and cons all day long. We can do the math, we can make arguments either way. In the end, nothing beats owning and flying your own plane.

I bought my Archer during my PPL training. After putting $25k down, I paid $3k/mo and paid it off in two years. I put another $15k into various repairs, and suffered three annuals of $10k, $6k, and $5k. My monthly budget was $5k/mo, and that included at least 4hrs/week of flying. (And it was hangared.) I put at least 400hrs of flying on the plane by the time it was paid off. Once it was paid off, I kept my budget at $5k and used the extra $3k (that way no longer being used for payments) to fund my IR training. Now, the plane is paid off and is in pretty good shape, and I have my IR, and I'm putting that extra $3k/mo into savings to step up in a few years. (Or to overhaul the engine when the time comes.)

Yes, I probably would have spent less money renting. But I doubt I would have gained 500hrs of PIC in just 2.5 years in a rental, and I certainly wouldn't have gained the varied experience that owning allowed me to gain. Long XCs, overnight trips, 2AM flights to practice night ops and shoot simulated approaches, or just going up and fiddling around with everything in the plane to ensure I really know her systems. All these things are doable in rentals, but you're less likely to do them due to the costs or restrictive rental rules/scheduling.

I have yet to regret a single penny spent owning. Despite the cost, it is always worth it, because the money is being spent on MY plane, to improve MY safety, (and the safety of my passengers), not lining the pockets of the owners of the aircraft I am renting, possibly at the expense of MY safety in favor of their bank accounts.

I like your approach.

Tim

Debating with a moving target is always interesting. :D
You just proved and stated that it is not the same, that the old airplane cannot do everything the new one can. In some cases, a new plane may not be able to do what an old one will (best example is new Bo versus old Bo for UL).
But at the end of the day, it is a value judgement about what YOU want.

Tim

What I hope I argued is that for the primary purpose of an airplane, getting somewhere, you can find examples where the older airplane gets you higher, much faster, longer range and flying the same approaches for half the money - without it being a hardship of ripped crushed velour and cracking paint. With premium features like TKS, synthetic vision, traffic, weather and a good 3 axis autopilot.

No 30 yo plane bests a 2 yo plane. Pricing proves it.

I see you edited your post. You're arguing that being more expensive proves it better. No it doesn't. I proves the marketplace values new - better or not.

I think that just means that smarter consumers realize they can take advantage of those that have an arguable irrational want for new to get something as good or better for FAR less.

1987 MOONEY M20K Price: $187k https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...305+ROCKET&listing_id=2178813&s-type=aircraft

2200 TTAF, Continental TSIO-520-NB - 305 HP, King avionics and a Gramin 530

---------

2015 CIRRUS SR20-G3 Price: $359k https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...el=SR20-G3&listing_id=2255923&s-type=aircraft

618 TT, Continental IO-360-ES 200 HP Engine, Garmin Perspective avionics, GFC700 autopilot, SVT Synthetic VIsion, dual AHRS, factory A/C, 60/40 seating

-----
The point is you get at least twice the plane in the 2015 Cirrus SR20 than the 30yo Mooney for the added $172k. No free lunch folks.

My rental rates right now are 700 a month for a membership, plus 160 per hour wet for a 2015 cirrus sr20 every option checked aircraft. It's nice to fly. Very well maintained, the g1000 Pfd/mfd is seriously awesome to use. I really do feel like my money is paying for a high quality aircraft.

But.....

It is a lot of money. 20 hours of flying per month plus membership is four thousand bucks. That's a lot for a ballistic pull up bar.

I can buy a Cessna 182p, hanger,insurance, maintenance, annual, petrol, loan.....and I bet 2500 dollars a month would pay for all that plus some..... Am I stupid? Granted the c182p would have a purchase price of around 60k.

I'm a young pilot. I have 30 hours in aircraft that only fly because they vibrate so much the earth has repelled them (helicopters) and 45 hours in sensible fixed wing.

My mission is to have fun, fly to areas and buy expensive cheeseburgers, get ifr rated, commercial, introduce as many people I can to GA, Become a CFI. Most importantly make sure myself and everyone has a lot of fun.

So you're expecting to fly 20 hours a month, but you only have 45 in fixed wing and 75 total? That's a heckuva pace, especially if long-distance travel isn't part of your mission. In one year, you could have your instrument, commercial, CFI, and probably have taken everyone you know out for an expensive cheeseburger.

Then what?

I was going to say that an Arrow or R182 would easily meet all of your missions for less than $4K a month... But there's a lot of flying you have yet to explore.

So... Make some friends at the airport (or on PoA) who are willing to give you some new experiences. Fly into the backcountry (preferably as part of a mountain flying course). Turn upside down. Fly something yellow. Fly something with no paint at all. Scare some animals. Scare yourself (not on purpose). Land on water. Land on snow. Land on grass, dirt, and gravel. Go somewhere far away. Fly into Airventure (Oshkosh). Fly into a busy Class B airport. Fly into someplace that hasn't seen an airplane for a while. Fly something without an engine. Fly something that's been in combat. Fly things made of metal from Cessna, Piper, Beech, and Mooney. Fly things made of fabric. Fly things made of plastic. Fly high wings. Fly low wings. Fly mid-wings. Fly biplanes. Fly when the winds are gusting to 30+ knots. Fly when the weather is at ILS minimums.

Then, fly on the most beautiful damn day you can imagine and see if you wish you were in one of those other airplanes.

There's so much flying to discover, and there's no way to know what your favorite niche is with only 75 hours. If you buy your airplane now, you may never discover it, because you won't want to fly other airplanes (much) when you're paying for one that's still sitting on the ground.

Signed,

A guy who did everything on that list in his first 1500 hours and wouldn't trade away any of it.

There is plenty more.

Tim

Here's a 1940s planes panel, yeah you can upgrade most any of the avionics on most anything, and still be way under the price point of a new plane, and in many times have a better airframe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As far as some of the other stuff, most older planes are built WAAAY more robust than the newer stuff, I've had a emergency landing in a 40s plane and due to the strength and backcountry friendly gear design it didn't even damage the plane or flip, despite being soft sand

As far as "envelope protection" and "hypoxia protection" all aircraft have airspeed indicators and altimeters, so yeah, but if you're someone who doesn't pay attention you can install idiot lights and beepers in most any aircraft, I'd wager that DHC-2 panel I posted will start flashing if he gets near VNE.

Lots of professional operators also choose older airframes because some have advantages over newer stuff, look at the payload/cost of a 550ed U206 vs a new one, or look at a A185F or a DHC2, there really is no direct new replacement, and their market values reflect this.

Lots of older airframes have few ADs, are overbuilt, and have better systems for a trained pilot, good example is electric flaps in newer stuff vs manual flaps in older planes, you'll have a hard time finding a experienced aviator who wouldn't want manual flaps, heck even the cowls, new planes just have a little door to check oil and add oil, many of the older planes it opens to display the entire engine.

No expansion needed. On it's face it is absurd to contend a 30yo plane has intrinsic value beyond a 2yo plane. If 30yo planes were superior to new planes then no new planes would ever be made or sold. And the pricing would reflect the value theory - the old planes would cost more, the new ones less. And of course, they don't.

All it means is that some people like shiny new things. And that's good, somebody has to turn new airplanes into used airplanes for the rest of us, and take the huge financial hit.

No, but you can install a G500, G750, and all kinds of other toys for way less than the difference in price. I have a KFC-150 autopilot with flight director, VS and altitude preselect, etc etc... The only thing the GFC-700 can do that mine can't is FLC. I climb with the vertical axis in Attitude mode and push "DN" every few minutes to maintain airspeed. It's not worth $200K to not have to push a button.

Yes... By knowing how to fly my plane and knowing my limits. I wear oxygen when I fly high or start feeling the effects. I don't crash. I fly on a regular basis and I know my attitude and a close-enough AoA at all times to not need envelope protection. Sheesh.

I love electronic gadgets as much as anyone, but do you want to fly or watch TV?

1987 MOONEY M20K Price: $187k https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...305+ROCKET&listing_id=2178813&s-type=aircraft

---------

2015 CIRRUS SR20-G3 Price: $359k https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...el=SR20-G3&listing_id=2255923&s-type=aircraft

618 TT, Continental IO-360-ES 200 HP Engine, Garmin Perspective avionics, GFC700 autopilot, SVT Synthetic VIsion, dual AHRS, factory A/C, 60/40 seating

-----
The point is you get at least twice the plane in the 2015 Cirrus SR20 than the 30yo Mooney for the added $172k. No free lunch folks.

You just showed a Cirrus with less top line performance for twice the price....

wow lots to read and answer..but it seems renting is the better idea. the reason i considered buying something is because the cirrus is moving to a new airport about 1.5 hours away. not a difficult drive or anything..actually a beautiful drive around lake tahoe to truckee. last i checked i wont be charged over night fees and to put it on the ramp is only 5 bucks a night at my local airport. so thats no concern. by the way, i am a student pilot still but just waiting for the weather to clear so i can do my last solo xc and my check ride..so by the end of the month i should be a private pilot.

i guess 20 hours a month is probably a little un realistic. the first couple months after getting my certificate im sure ill fly alot but the USA will probably start to get small.

So you're expecting to fly 20 hours a month, but you only have 45 in fixed wing and 75 total? That's a heckuva pace, especially if long-distance travel isn't part of your mission. In one year, you could have your instrument, commercial, CFI, and probably have taken everyone you know out for an expensive cheeseburger.

Then what?

I was going to say that an Arrow or R182 would easily meet all of your missions for less than $4K a month... But there's a lot of flying you have yet to explore.

So... Make some friends at the airport (or on PoA) who are willing to give you some new experiences. Fly into the backcountry (preferably as part of a mountain flying course). Turn upside down. Fly something yellow. Fly something with no paint at all. Scare some animals. Scare yourself (not on purpose). Land on water. Land on snow. Land on grass, dirt, and gravel. Go somewhere far away. Fly into Airventure (Oshkosh). Fly into a busy Class B airport. Fly into someplace that hasn't seen an airplane for a while. Fly something without an engine. Fly something that's been in combat. Fly things made of metal from Cessna, Piper, Beech, and Mooney. Fly things made of fabric. Fly things made of plastic. Fly high wings. Fly low wings. Fly mid-wings. Fly biplanes. Fly when the winds are gusting to 30+ knots. Fly when the weather is at ILS minimums.

Then, fly on the most beautiful damn day you can imagine and see if you wish you were in one of those other airplanes.

There's so much flying to discover, and there's no way to know what your favorite niche is with only 75 hours. If you buy your airplane now, you may never discover it, because you won't want to fly other airplanes (much) when you're paying for one that's still sitting on the ground.

Signed,

A guy who did everything on that list in his first 1500 hours and wouldn't trade away any of it.

i think you said it best..im pretty convinced now i should just keep on renting. your list of things to do is literally my flying bucket list. when i get my private certificate i plan on doing a aerobatic course..mostly to do some spins since i cant in the cirrus. and i can check off the 30 knot gusting..i flew into krno with my CFI when it was gusting that high and taking off and turning xwind felt like we had a rope tied to the tail and secured on the ground. we were not climbing very much on the downwind either..i learned that day i dont want to fly in winds like that if i dont have to!

thank you everyone for the advice. seems like i have a decent set up at the moment and unless something changes just stay were im at.

---------

-----

Twice the plane (debatable) at twice (close enough) the price?

All it means is that some people like shiny new things. And that's good, somebody has to turn new airplanes into used airplanes for the rest of us, and take the huge financial hit.

And probably have a way to write off a large part of the CAPEX....

I love electronic gadgets as much as anyone, but do you want to fly or watch TV?

I don't understand the fascination with a bunch of screens. I think it's a ****ing contest. A quick glance at a 6-pack tells me most of what I need to know about the state of the aircraft, and an iPad-FF/Stratus 2 tells me everything else I want to know.

Here's a 1940s planes panel, yeah you can upgrade most any of the avionics on most anything, and still be way under the price point of a new plane, and in many times have a better airframe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As far as some of the other stuff, most older planes are built WAAAY more robust than the newer stuff, I've had a emergency landing in a 40s plane and due to the strength and backcountry friendly gear design it didn't even damage the plane or flip, despite being soft sand

As far as "envelope protection" and "hypoxia protection" all aircraft have airspeed indicators and altimeters, so yeah, but if you're someone who doesn't pay attention you can install idiot lights and beepers in most any aircraft, I'd wager that DHC-2 panel I posted will start flashing if he gets near VNE.

Lots of professional operators also choose older airframes because some have advantages over newer stuff, look at the payload/cost of a 550ed U206 vs a new one, or look at a A185F or a DHC2, there really is no direct new replacement, and their market values reflect this.

Lots of older airframes have few ADs, are overbuilt, and have better systems for a trained pilot, good example is electric flaps in newer stuff vs manual flaps in older planes, you'll have a hard time finding a experienced aviator who wouldn't want manual flaps, heck even the cowls, new planes just have a little door to check oil and add oil, many of the older planes it opens to display the entire engine.

Nice plane and panel. I have a soft spot for radials. Never owned won, I doubt I ever will, but I love them.
Anyway, Hypoxia protection cannot currently be retrofit, when you do not make any inputs for a defined period (I believe ten minutes), the plane using GPS and the AP will descend to 12K (I think that is the correct altitude, I am not positive). There are other examples.
But anyway, I digress, my basic point is that there some features/aspects on a new plane which cannot be matched on an old one. Some people place a value on this, others not only place a value on it, actually have the cash to make it happen.

Tim

Nice plane and panel. I have a soft spot for radials. Never owned won, I doubt I ever will, but I love them.
Anyway, Hypoxia protection cannot currently be retrofit, when you do not make any inputs for a defined period (I believe ten minutes), the plane using GPS and the AP will descend to 12K (I think that is the correct altitude, I am not positive). There are other examples.
But anyway, I digress, my basic point is that there some features/aspects on a new plane which cannot be matched on an old one. Some people place a value on this, others not only place a value on it, actually have the cash to make it happen.

Tim

I question the need for hypoxia protection on a normally aspirated SR20 anyway :p

I question the need for hypoxia protection on a normally aspirated SR20 anyway :p

Especially with my fat arse in the plane.....
But we do not know if the OP is as heavy as me. I have had an SR20 G2 to 16K. I will not admit how long it took to get there....

Tim

And probably have a way to write off a large part of the CAPEX....

I don't understand the fascination with a bunch of screens. I think it's a ****ing contest. A quick glance at a 6-pack tells me most of what I need to know about the state of the aircraft, and an iPad-FF/Stratus 2 tells me everything else I want to know.

Yup. I didn't get into flying for recreation to watch an autopilot. Hell, I've even left money on the table in working life in order to get NOT to fly behind one.

wow lots to read and answer..but it seems renting is the better idea. the reason i considered buying something is because the cirrus is moving to a new airport about 1.5 hours away. not a difficult drive or anything..actually a beautiful drive around lake tahoe to truckee. last i checked i wont be charged over night fees and to put it on the ramp is only 5 bucks a night at my local airport. so thats no concern. by the way, i am a student pilot still but just waiting for the weather to clear so i can do my last solo xc and my check ride..so by the end of the month i should be a private pilot.

i guess 20 hours a month is probably a little un realistic. the first couple months after getting my certificate im sure ill fly alot but the USA will probably start to get small.

i think you said it best..im pretty convinced now i should just keep on renting. your list of things to do is literally my flying bucket list. when i get my private certificate i plan on doing a aerobatic course..mostly to do some spins since i cant in the cirrus. and i can check off the 30 knot gusting..i flew into krno with my CFI when it was gusting that high and taking off and turning xwind felt like we had a rope tied to the tail and secured on the ground. we were not climbing very much on the downwind either..i learned that day i dont want to fly in winds like that if i dont have to!

thank you everyone for the advice. seems like i have a decent set up at the moment and unless something changes just stay were im at.
what about a nice club or partnership. you're paying a FORTUNE for the flying you're doing.

Two examples, in Seattle (not a cheap place to be).

1. Club i'm in, 60 members, 3 planes. (172s and a 182). GNS430Ws, and GTX345, so great Ipad integration. $2,200 buy in (refundable share), $62/month and then we pay $85/hr for 172 and $125 for 182, WET TACH. Now, we're amongst the cheaper operations, and do volunteer/etc to keep costs under control, but it's fun.

2. partnership i'm evaluating. 1/4 share in HP airplane. $18k buy in, $100/month fixed cost per member and $100/hr plus fuel per tach hour flown.

so in club 1, if you flew 10 hours/month. your monthly would be 10X85=850 plus $62 = $900/month
in partnership, if you did 10 hours 10*160 = 1160+100= $1,260/mo

these are older planes, but really well maintained and you could form a 2-4 way partnership around a prettier airframe if you and your partners wanted and still be WAY under 4k/month

Part of the cause of the disagreements here is how people have different definitions of performance, features, value, etc.

There absolutely are 30 year old, heck even older than that, planes out there that go faster, higher, have more load capability, are more rugged, etc., than something brand new costing 2-3 times as much, or more. Even the Cirrus, which I like, is not *that* capable (relatively speaking) in terms of initial climb rate, loads, glide ratios (fine, there is BRS, but it doesn't really fly well without power is my point), etc. But it is very comfortable.

20 hours a month is a lot of flying unless you're doing business trips.
That seems like an aggressive target, unless you fly for hire or your business takes you places. I fly "often" and if I get 10 hrs in a month that feels like a lot, between work and other commitments, weather, etc.

*that's the thing. Many of the features on new airplanes really don't bring you better performance than their lux high end 30 yo equivalents. I'll take a fast steam gauge plane with a 430 any day over a brand new G1000 Skyhawk with everything ticked off. A plane is a tool to get from A to B fast and safe. My wife loves how the Cirrus looks and feels, but the SR20 is not *that* fast, and she'd be happier taking a 1970s 206 if it means we can get somewhere even 20 minutes faster. And frankly, if I have to have 4 people in the plane I'm going in the 1977 Cessna 172N with the 180 conversion because it has an awesome load and in my experience flies much better when loaded up than the SR20.

upgrade to a TBM
Someday. The TBM700 was my first plane crush. I was still a freshman in highschool but I wrote them and they mailed me a fancy brochure and documents all about the TBM.

**The more research I do and the more seriously I consider airplane ownership one day the Mooney M20J is starting to look more and more like the right plane for me. For my "mission" with 2 people and a flexible schedule it seems like a great way to get up to Napa for the weekend in style, and from what I understand it is built like freaking tank

^Note, I was speaking mostly relative to the SR20 since that's what the OP was discussing. At the end of the day $4K per month to fly an SR20 seems excessive. If I had the dough to spend $4K on flying I would 100%, without a doubt, be looking to buy something

Where you guys getting all this loot! never mind, carry on.....

I just noticed that you are still working on your PPL - not a dig as I am also learning. However, it would seem that in about 2.5 months you will have spent more on just the Cirrus rental than most will spend on their entire PPL including instructor, plane rental, fuel and exams. Is it possible that you simply fell for the wow factor of the modern plane and avionics?

I am using my own plane to train. It is a 45yr old Cessna 182. I am now learning landings and for the first time I sometimes wish I was flying a bit lighter plane. However, I have never found myself wanting to learn in a newer plane with glass cockpit, etc. Heck, we have the tablet with on every flight and the other day I turned it off on downwind when a terrain alert went off and was too distracting. Actually, I just wish the old windshield didn't rattle at low idle and my instructor wishes the passenger side window would open. After that, its awesome...even though its almost as old as me. But it can haul a lot and climbs out like crazy! Many other older planes can do the same so this isn't just about a 182.

So, why not just rent the archer or 172 on a per lesson basis and get your PPL and save a ton of $$$$. Then rent the Cirrus and get your HP endorsement. Then evaluate which plane to use. We paid $60K for our 182P model with 1950hrs total, 850hrs to go until overhaul and only 12hrs on the top end. Interior and exterior are original...but in outstanding condition. Only one rip in the rear seat the size of a dime. Of course, the colors and interior look like they are from a 1975 Ford LTD :) But when you open up your own hangar, pull out your own plane and can going flying when you want...worth way more than having new plane.

You know, if you just avoided that $4000/month rental for about 1 year and half you can buy a whole lot of airplane.

I just noticed that you are still working on your PPL - not a dig as I am also learning. However, it would seem that in about 2.5 months you will have spent more on just the Cirrus rental than most will spend on their entire PPL including instructor, plane rental, fuel and exams. Is it possible that you simply fell for the wow factor of the modern plane and avionics?

I am using my own plane to train. It is a 45yr old Cessna 182. I am now learning landings and for the first time I sometimes wish I was flying a bit lighter plane. However, I have never found myself wanting to learn in a newer plane with glass cockpit, etc. Heck, we have the tablet with on every flight and the other day I turned it off on downwind when a terrain alert went off and was too distracting. Actually, I just wish the old windshield didn't rattle at low idle and my instructor wishes the passenger side window would open. After that, its awesome...even though its almost as old as me. But it can haul a lot and climbs out like crazy! Many other older planes can do the same so this isn't just about a 182.

So, why not just rent the archer or 172 on a per lesson basis and get your PPL and save a ton of $$$$. Then rent the Cirrus and get your HP endorsement. Then evaluate which plane to use. We paid $60K for our 182P model with 1950hrs total, 850hrs to go until overhaul and only 12hrs on the top end. Interior and exterior are original...but in outstanding condition. Only one rip in the rear seat the size of a dime. Of course, the colors and interior look like they are from a 1975 Ford LTD :) But when you open up your own hangar, pull out your own plane and can going flying when you want...worth way more than having new plane.

You know, if you just avoided that $4000/month rental for about 1 year and half you can buy a whole lot of airplane.
Exactly. I started in G1000 equipped 172 sp and it's a damn distraction. Got my own archer, it's 38 yrs old, have most avionics that I never use and I am learning a whole lot better to be a better pilot with so many distraction not there anymore. 4k for rental is throwing money out for no reason, but at the end of day, if it makes u happy to fly a cirrus, that's what matters. If I had 4k to spend a month, I would buy a used cirrus. There is no way I would spend my 4k on someone else's plane. But again, that's just me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Exactly. I started in G1000 equipped 172 sp and it's a damn distraction. Got my own archer, it's 38 yrs old, have most avionics that I never use and I am learning a whole lot better to be a better pilot with so many distraction not there anymore. 4k for rental is throwing money out for no reason, but at the end of day, if it makes u happy to fly a cirrus, that's what matters. If I had 4k to spend a month, I would buy a used cirrus. There is no way I would spend my 4k on someone else's plane. But again, that's just me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Personally I think there is nothing sillier than a 110 knot airliner (172 w/ G1000)

Back