When teenagers fly commercially... what about ID?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
You must present a government-issue photo ID and either your boarding pass or a priority verification card at the security screening checkpoint.

This is on the eTicket confirmation for AA for my 17-year-old daughter's ticket to an academic event in Tuscon later this month. She's traveling with teachers and other students--Mom and I aren't able to go this time.

When she's traveled with US, we bring the kids birth certificates; those, and OUR photo id's, get us on the plane.

My daughter hasn't started driving yet (HER choice, not mine, another story!), so she doesn't have a state-issued photo ID. We called American Airline's customer service, and they said her school-issued ID will be sufficient, with her boarding pass, to get her through TSA.

Really!? I like the sound of that, but it's NOT what's printed on the ticket, and TSA can be sticklers for details. I want to be SURE... problems at time of flight will be bad. Any input?? The flight is two Fridays from now. She doesn't have a passport. We can use her student ID, we have a certified birth certificate she could bring... that's about it.

You should be able to get a state issued photo ID. Usually, they are issued by the DMV to those who either choose not to drive or cannot qualify for a license yet require an ID. If I recall, Colorado issued them for free at least to those disabled. That's worth a shot.

i always thought they just had to have a photo ID. i suppose i figured it should be govt issued, i think they are pretty cheap at the DOT.

and the daughter not driving is kind of a double edged sword.

TSA's site says nothing about it, but I found this at the FAA's site. Sounds like whatever the airline told me is right.

However, I know the line at the TSA screening has a sign that says "please have your boarding pass and goverment-issued photo id available for inspection".

Just being a paranoid papa...

You should be able to get a state issued photo ID. That's worth a shot.

I'll definitely look into it... not sure if she can get one and "walk out with it" or if they mail it to her. If she can just go down to the DMV and get one, that would solve any worries here.

I'll definitely look into it... not sure if she can get one and "walk out with it" or if they mail it to her. If she can just go down to the DMV and get one, that would solve any worries here.
Do they mail the driver's license to you in Texas? Georgia and Colorado are issued on the spot.

TSA's site says nothing about it, but I found this at the FAA's site. Sounds like whatever the airline told me is right.

However, I know the line at the TSA screening has a sign that says "please have your boarding pass and government-issued photo id available for inspection".

Just being a paranoid papa...
I think I'd go with getting the state-issued ID. I see that page says the airline determines what is accepted but there's a huge difference between the airline and the TSA as you well know. I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on predicting the TSA's actions.

Since she's a minor, no government photo-ID is required for domestic flights. It's definitely a good idea to have a government issued photo-ID (non-drivers ID) in any case.

Her school ID should work just fine. When she turns 18, that's a different story. She'll need the government issued photo-ID for any flight. I think everyone in my family, including my eleven year old sister has a Connecticut state issued photo ID. It makes it easy to get through security; hand them 5 boarding passes, and 5 photo IDs.

Troy, she won't be able to walk out of DPS with one with her photo on it, but they will give her a paper receipt ID with all the other info on it that, in combination with other photo ID like her school ID should do it for her.

Troy,

Minors are not required by the TSA to have ID.

In the worst case, the TSA will require her to go through a secondary screening (pat-down, ransacking of her bags, etc). Contrary to what the TSA says publically, ID is not required to fly. (The airline may impose an ID requirement to check bags - they've already told you that the school ID will meet that criteria). TSA-wise, especially if she's traveling as part of a group, there is a way around the ID bluster.

It IS possible that she'll get a rouge screener (I've seen bad ones at certain DFW checkpoints, including one that refused a passport, and another that refused to allow someone to carry their car keys on a plane saying it was "like a switchblade"). In that case, she should be prepared to escalate it to both the TSA supervisor and the airline ground services coordinator.

My daughter (15), just went on a trip from Kansas City/Boston on United - last week. It was a school orchestra trip, and out of the 50+/- kids, maybe 15 have their drivers license. Learners permits and/or school IDs were sufficient.

Since she's a minor, no government photo-ID is required for domestic flights. It's definitely a good idea to have a government issued photo-ID (non-drivers ID) in any case.

Her school ID should work just fine. When she turns 18, that's a different story. She'll need the government issued photo-ID for any flight. I think everyone in my family, including my eleven year old sister has a Connecticut state issued photo ID. It makes it easy to get through security; hand them 5 boarding passes, and 5 photo IDs.
I have found this to be true. I traveled with my 14 year old niece. This is what I was told but we also had a copy of the birth certificate just in case.

Wait a minute. Assuming she is in a public school, wouldn't a school i.d. be a government issued i.d.? :dunno:

Not all schools do that. My niece did not have one. Her school decided the cost was too high for such a little return.

Bad assumption on my part. We had HS i.d.'s in the early 80's and figured they were the status quo.

Bad assumption on my part. We had HS i.d.'s in the early 80's and figured they were the status quo.
I am with you there. I thought it strange that she did not have an id from school too. But it is a small school and the teachers know everyone by name. Id seemed redundant and added no value.

I had my niece bring her birth certificate because I was afraid the TSA monkeys would not believe her age. She is very tall (5'10") and is 15 years old. Her older sister is 6'1"

If her school is a public school, then her school ID is a government-issued photo ID.
I completely spaced out that fact. But then, I tend not to take things from a government school all that seriously. But, that's for another forum.

I hope this works out, Troy.

Dunno about CO. Dumb ol' backwards IL, after you wait 10 minutes or so, hands you the license warm from the photo machine.

Dunno about CO. Dumb ol' backwards IL, after you wait 10 minutes or so, hands you the license warm from the photo machine.
I had my Colorado DL replaced because it was stolen, and the the replacement was just a piece of paper with no photo. I got the real one in the mail a week or two later. Good thing I have a passport...

As far as teenagers go, minors are exempt from showing photo ID. How you prove you are a minor if you look older, I'm not sure. I just take their word for it.

Last edited:
If her school is a public school, then her school ID is a government-issued photo ID.

So is a military ID and a retired military ID. Both have been rejected by TSA screeners at various airports as "not valid for air travel". I personally had a screener at BWI try and reject my US Passport as a form of ID.

So is a military ID and a retired military ID. Both have been rejected by TSA screeners at various airports as "not valid for air travel". I personally had a screener at BWI try and reject my US Passport as a form of ID.
If TSA screeners don't know their own rules, we're all in trouble. Glad I can fly myself instead.

I have found this to be true. I traveled with my 14 year old niece. This is what I was told but we also had a copy of the birth certificate just in case.

The only time I was given a hard time about not having photo ID was in Vancouver when I was 13 or 14. At the time, none was required, but the Canadian immigrations officer obviously had other opinions. I carry my Connecticut state DL, FAA Airmen Certificate, Connecticut state boating/PWC license, and HS ID with me at all times in my wallet, so I'm usually well prepared for displaying any sort of ID.

If TSA screeners don't know their own rules, we're all in trouble. Glad I can fly myself instead.

I think we're in trouble whether we're in the airliner or in our own plane. All 'these folks share the sky with us unfortunately.

I personally had a screener at BWI try and reject my US Passport as a form of ID.

Idiot. Never had a problem with my passport at SEA. And once it's out, I'm not about to dig out my driver license. Just wait until they require pictures on our pilot certificates. That will become my prefered government issued photo ID. If you've got it, flaunt it!

WE ARE ALL in trouble.

They do not know their own rules.

They don't haf to know any rules. No matter what they do or say TSA management says they acted properly and any information will not be disclosed for reasons of national security.

The are many who wish they could get a job where they could commit crimes (think theft) against customers and no one is allowed to even know about it.

It's long past time that congress grow some and call in Kip Hawley to answer for these endless outrages.

Look the comments on YouTube for that TSA gansta video where these TSA maroons keep saying, "Take the bus. See how fast you get there!" You just KNOW that's exactly how they talk among each other. No power trip for these low lifes at all.

Ron, the problem is that TSA at each airport is its own little fiefdom and the entire agency is unaccountable. It is worse than the FAA. And no, they don't know the rules.

Congress required that the TSA implement a so-called "registered traveler" program (which involves background checks and a biometric ID). All the information (fingerprint, retinal scan, background check, multiple IDs) is run through the Federal database - it's more stringent than the FRZ process for the DC-3. Yet the TSA refuses to accept the vetted biometric ID as identification - they require you to present another form of ID that's acceptable to them. The message is that they implemented it because they HAD to, but the only benefit they allowed was cutting to the front of the line.

TSA also claims authority over GA.....

From what I understand, you don't need to show ID to go through the security checkpoint (the airlines might ask for one if you're checking luggage, though).
I haven't tried it, but if the TSA follows their own rules, you should get the secondary inspection if you don't show ID, but you should get through....

-Felix

From what I understand, you don't need to show ID to go through the security checkpoint (the airlines might ask for one if you're checking luggage, though).
You don't get past the security checkpoint without a boarding pass and a photo ID with a name that matches the boarding pass. That's a problem for women who use maiden for business and the office gets their ticket in their "business name" which doesn't match their ID. Fran finally got her DL redone as Mary Frances Severn-Levy to solve the problem of being Mary F. Levy, Fran Levy, or Fran Severn, depending on what she is doing.

You don't get past the security checkpoint without a boarding pass and a photo ID with a name that matches the boarding pass. That's a problem for women who use maiden for business and the office gets their ticket in their "business name" which doesn't match their ID. Fran finally got her DL redone as Mary Frances Severn-Levy to solve the problem of being Mary F. Levy, Fran Levy, or Fran Severn, depending on what she is doing.
I'm pretty sure you do get through without an ID. There have been plenty of news reports about that. I'll see if I can dig one up. There's no law or published rule that says that you need an ID.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/03/flying_without.html

No ID needed even if you're not a minor. The TSA just wants you to think that you need to show them ID. Now, even though this comes directly out of a court decision, the TSA is so clueless that I would not necessarily expect them to do the right thing if you tried.

-Felix

Last edited:
For minors no id is needed and I have been able to get through without an ID twice. No one ever asked me for one. I have also been through, post 9/11, without a boarding pass. Once was to go to a meeting at the lounge. All that I had to show was my Admirals club card. They have since closed that loop hole. The second time was to pick up a person that needed assistance. I just had a ticket counter person tell TSA I was ok to enter.

Sorry Ron but that isn't true. There is no requirement to have ID at the security checkpoint though they certainly ask for it. GF did not have hers on last trip (long uninteresting story), cleared security at three airports. We already had our boarding passes. TSA Supervisor is called and rigorous secondary screening applied.

Last edited:
Sorry Ron but that isn't true. There is no requirement to have ID at the security checkpoint though they certainly ask for it. GF did not have hers on last trip (long uninteresting story), cleared security at three airports. We already had our boarding passes. TSA Supervisor is called and rigorous secondary screening applied.

I think it depends where you are in the country. In my experience at HPN, JFK, LGA, EWR, MCO, RSW, TPA, DFW, you either presented your photo ID or you didn't get on the flight, as simple as that. The TSA likes to make their own rules.

A good friend of my dad's who is an airport manager at LAS was given a hard time by TSA getting through security to go take care of an incident despite all of his airport ID credentials. Needless to say he got frustrated and asked to see the supervisor or he would be out of a job in a few minutes.

You don't get past the security checkpoint without a boarding pass and a photo ID with a name that matches the boarding pass.

I've seen it happen fairly often, actually. Someone comes onto the airplane, two people in one seat, and turns out they both have the same name on the boarding pass but one person isn't that person... You'd think people would be smart enough to look at their boarding pass to make sure their name is on it... I've been issued boarding passes twice now with someone elses' name.

And OH prints you a DL with photo on the spot...

It wouldn't hurt for her to have a copy of her birth certificate to prove she's not yet 18. From AA's website: "Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have government-issued photo identification for travel within the United States. However, you may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) at the airport for any children under the age of 18 who are traveling with you."

I think it depends where you are in the country. In my experience at HPN, JFK, LGA, EWR, MCO, RSW, TPA, DFW, you either presented your photo ID or you didn't get on the flight, as simple as that.

Are you talking about airline policies or TSA policies? It is one thing to get through screening checkpoints without ID, is quite another to obtain a boarding pass at the airport without ID.

I am telling you that if you do not check luggage, and print out your boarding pass at home in advance of your flight, you are likely to get on the airplane in the end :yes: At least at RNO, SEA, and ANC!

Well, lots of good input y'all, and we thank you for that. We're going to have to take our chances here--even if we go down to the DMV on Monday (they're closed Sat/Sun--??!?!), and have her picture taken, it won't get here in the mail for 30 days, and her flight is less than two weeks out.

So, her high school picture id, the boarding pass, and her certified original birth certificate will have to suffice. The teacher will be with them, and I will bring MY passport and ID and get her to the TSA checkpoint. If there's any problem at that point, they can check her docs and look at my ID, and hopefully let her go... I don't think it will be an issue, but I will escalate if necessary.

At least she's not carrying one of those new thin Macs...

I'll report back with what actually occurs.

Back