When is oil stable after a TOH?

How many hours should I be getting on the oil for it to be considered stabilized? Right now, it looks like I'm getting 10+ hrs on a quart.
Thanks!

This is the first motor i've ever attended and was looking for a specific number or a range. How much oil does an engine consume-what number would I be looking for that would suggest a stable consumption and that the break-in is nearing completion. I thought some Cessna 172 or a/p posters would tell me how many tach hours they get from their oil; there must be a range that's normal for the O320D engine.

I thought the question got answered in the first couple of posts.
The question was never answered. But that's okay, in the interim, I have assurance from my a/p and others that I'm pretty much stable; my oil consumption that is :goofy:

And apparently, 10hrs per quart is a great number. It was also explained that several factors other than oil consumption point towards a successful break-in including (but not limited to) the positive oil analysis, high compressions, lack of fouled plugs, etc. Number of hours on a quart of oil was just one factor where I was clueless-hence, the thread.

Jokes aside, what timwinters wrote is pretty true. It is frustrating to post looking for a serious answer only to have the thread turn into a heated off-topic discussion that does nothing to answer the question. it was a good discussion, but that wasn't what I was going after-what oil I was using was moot. I'm jus sayin'. :)

I'm sorry, I took post #2 Where Ron pointed out that when oil consumption stops changing, it has stabilized. As an answer to your question.

Mabe he should have gone on to say that there is no set time when that will happen, (anywhere from first start, to who-knows how many hours)

IIRC, Lycoming does specify a particular amount of oil consumption that is considered too much, I think about a quart every 3 hours, but don't quote me on that. Conti also has oil consumption limit. But both are only on one end of the spectrum, there is no specification for not using any oil, only the maximum allowable consumption.

Mabe Tom can shed more light.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I took post #2 Where Ron pointed out that when oil consumption stops changing, it has stabilized. As an answer to your question.

I can see that. At the time, I thought there must be a "magic" number. I hadn't added that many qts yet, three, and wasn't sure that three was enough to determine stabilization. I added the 4th qt recently and I'm getting about 9 hrs to a qt of oil. With this last qt, I'd say the consumption has stabilized. So what Ron said was on the money, guess I was looking for more guidance.

I'd say, I have my answer. Thanks for reopening the thread, much appreciated.

Back