When is Beacon shown on Sectional?

ClarksonCote

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ClarksonCote
The airport at my hometown, KBML, has a beacon, and has had one for many years. However, the sectional chart doesn't have a star shown signifying the airport has a beacon.

I know that a star on a sectional chart signifies that a beacon is at an airport. However, what other details go into whether or not a star is present on the chart?

The airport at my hometown, KBML, has a beacon, and has had one for many years. However, the sectional chart doesn't have a star shown signifying the airport has a beacon.

I know that a star on a sectional chart signifies that a beacon is at an airport. However, what other details go into whether or not a star is present on the chart?

The star on the sectional indicates the beacon operates sunset to sunrise. The BML beacon is operated along with other airport lighting by clicking on CTAF.

The star on the sectional indicates the beacon operates sunset to sunrise. The BML beacon is operated along with other airport lighting by clicking on CTAF.

Thanks, that was what I had been thinking. I thought at one point it used to operate sunrise to sunset (I used to see the blink in the sky often growing up), but you're right, it's controlled by pilots now. Thanks!

Thanks, that was what I had been thinking. I thought at one point it used to operate sunrise to sunset (I used to see the blink in the sky often growing up), but you're right, it's controlled by pilots now. Thanks!

Kind of pointless to have it operate sunrise to sunset, isn't it? ;)

There's no control tower, who was controlling it during daylight hours?

Wow, didn't know that some beacons are on PCL. I learn something new every day! :)

I don't know if that's true, although Airnav says it does operate on the CTAF, but then it also mentions it operates sunset to sunrise. The airport is attended 8-4 so I would expect them to operate the beacon if it's IMC but it's not required during daylight hours IAW the AIM anyway. I'll have to research the AIM.

Last edited:
I don't know if that's true, although Airnav says it does operate on the CTAF, but then it also mentions it operates sunset to sunrise. The airport is attended 8-4 so I would expect them to operate the beacon if it's IMC but it's not required during daylight hours IAW the AIM anyway. I'll have to research the AIM.
My understanding is that the beacon is part of the airport lighting so if you queue up the mic you'll turn on the surface lighting as well as the beacon.

Yeah looks that way. I never knew that, or else I may have forgotten. ;)

Checked out the AFD, or Chart Supplement now, and it says for the above airport KBML all lighting is controlled by CTAF, including the beacon.

Back