When free = $200

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
The vet had this little guy. I'm not a cat person but he's a handsome little guy and very friendly. (I hate aloof cats!).

Anyway, good thing Buddy is afraid of cats because this one is barely a snack!

IMG_20180717_151715643.jpg

Cute cat, but man he needs to grow into those ears.

Yeah I’m not a cat person either. You can keep it.

We adopt outdoor cats ("free") who help to keep the mouse problem under control. They're also a lot of fun to have around, the kids love them. Nope, they're never actually free... the vet bills add up quickly. But they're unwanted and we give them homes. Outdoor cats of course have a lower survival rate than indoor, but we specifically want outdoor cats to keep the mice under control and I'm allergic to them if they're indoors (or in the plane for too long...).

They don't last as long as outdoor cats, but they love their lives and are very happy. Every now and then one of our cats will come inside, and then after a couple minutes go "Nope nope nope" and stand by the door waiting to go outside.

Good on ya, Tim.

I've noticed that they get cheaper when parts are missing - like an eye, or ear, or tail.

We have two outdoor cats. They actually belong to the neighbor but they do not feed them. They hang around on my porch and go under the house at night. I tolerate them because they keep the mouse population down. We do set out water for them.

These two cats are very loving and are wanting to find a good home. They wait by the door and try to run in when someone opens the door. I am trying to find them a good home.

About once a month one of the kids will come over and get the cats. They stay gone for a day or two then are back on the porch. When I find a good home for them they will come up missing. I have found homes for cats and dogs that are either dumped on the road or the neighbors "rescue" from the pound that then come to me looking for a better place to live.

Last edited:
I’m a cat person now. When my wife went to the shelter to “look” I said she could get a cat if she picked the biggest one. So we ended up with Simon a guy who lived in the shelter for a year. Good cat kills critters annoys the dog is friendly.

Cute cat!!!

I was not a cat person... until I met Oliver who had two cats... :D All our three cats are actually mine now... :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes: And none of the cats came for free. :confused:

BUT: whowever says money cannot buy you happiness never paid an adoption fee (or a vet bill)... :D

Last edited:
So, Lisa noticed that he has an "M" on his forehead. Hence, the name must start with that letter.

Mayday?
METAR?
Ideas?

I vote for Mitzi!

Cute little dude. We did our 18 year cat thing and the cat lived to 21. Doubt we’ll do a cat ever again on purpose but if one showed up on the doorstep and the dogs didn’t try to eat it, we’d take care of it.

We got ours from a shelter. Goofy cat. I am pretty sure it had spent most of its life in a cage, it was about a year and a half old. When we got it, it had no clue how to do cat things like jump up on a chair. It had no sense of depth perception, jumping abilities, heights, anything. It would try to jump on a chair or other elevated surface and miss. Kind of sad. But it learned. The one good thing about it was that it had never learned how to use its claws. Since it had nothing to climb or scratch, it had never used them for anything. Even after 7-8 years now, it still will not use claws on anything, or anyone, except corrugated cardboard.

IMG_20150620_124047.jpg

Me-yew-nee
Maverick (Mav for short)
Mike
MissT (pronouned "missed")
Magneto <-- I like that one

Master would be good indeed - kittens are either ON or OFF... :D Beside of them owning you...

The German kitty name ‘Mieze’ is used usually for female cats.

One of my neighbors was a cat person (since moved away). He fed all the local feral cats every day, so they congregated around his house. can't lay my hands on a photo just now. We called it the Logan's Run house. True sci fi geeks will get the reference.

Mittens likes to nap with us in the afternoon. As soon as he hears the recliner go back he jumps up and we have a little routine before he lays down and eventually curls up and sleeps. Several years ago a black tuxedo cat started showing up in our garage to eat. At the time we kept a feeder in the garage and left the door up a little as we had a small outdoor cat that once belonged to some neighbors that moved and did not want to take the cat with them. When I would go out the little tuxedo would take off across the driveway. One day I coaxed it to come back and I petted it. It became a regular and we named it Boots because of its whit paws. It wasn't long after that Mittens began showing up. I assumed they were siblings, both being tuxedos and having similar markings. He was skittish at first also, but soon became a regular.

Unfortunately Boots got a hold of some antifreeze somewhere and we had to have him put down. It broke my heart as he had become a part of the family and liked coming in the house. Mittens was primarily an outdoor cat but got in too many fights that would leave him with an abscess and us with a $600 vet bill. He is now strictly indoors. The little ex-neighbor cat is still an indoor/outdoor but much more indoor of late. She is very tiny and was the runt of the litter. A couple of years a pilot friend was getting married and his wife-to-be had two cats. One was fairly old and the other fairly young. He was allergic so the cats needed to go away. They put the older one down and we took the younger one. Her name is Lilah and she was extremely skittish in the beginning. She spent the majority of her time up under the comforter or our bed. We would have to drag her out. Over time she has become a great cat to have and does not run and hide any more. She is in the second picture with Mittens on the cat tree.

On top of the three cats we have two Cockatiels and a Senegal Parrot.
Image 2018-05-31_18-52-46-919.jpeg Image 2018-03-11_16-15-50-904.jpeg

Could have bought a nice Cub with the sum of our vet bills since Valarie and I got married... Among our pride, we've got a big while male that stays outside. He is a refugee from a terrible neighbor. The kids abused him pretty bad. He started to hang out over at our place and would eat from our indoor/outdoor cat's bowl, if no one was around. After about 7 weeks of going out and sitting on my equipment trailer every day and calling him and talking to him, he finally acquiesced and let me pet him for a minute. He now comes to end of the driveway as soon as he hears whatever vehicle I'm driving that day and waits for me to get out and do our little pet and rub and scratch routine. When we first spotted him, he wouldn't go 5 lbs, wet. He's somewhere around 13 lbs now, and is blind in one eye. He would like to be an indoor cat, but starts to panic if Val or one of the boys brings him in and doesn't go right to the laundry room and then to the garage during bad weather. If I'm working outside, and not doing anything with loud noises, he'll come hang out nearby and watch or sleep while I do stuff.

Could have bought a nice Cub with the sum of our vet bills
I pretty much attribute people with outdoor cats for buying my Bonanza, and my house on the river, and my wife's BMW and . . . with their vet bills.

Occasionally, an indoor cat, usually an older cat, will get a chronic disease that winds up generating large medical bills, but outdoor cats wind up in ICU with huge bills on a regular basis. Most people claim their cat will become strictly indoor from then on, but a year later (or less) that cat would come back after getting in a fight with some sort of outside animal or car.

Are you sure that's an "M" on his head?
To me, it looks kind of like a pair of Comm antennas. Y'know, mounted right above the eyes. :)
Maybe you could name him Comm. Or CommTom. Or Squawk. Or AnyTrafficInTheArea...

I've been told by more than one vet that just about all pet diseases come from contact with other animals and other dangers outside the home.

I've been told by more than one vet that just about all pet diseases come from contact with other animals and other dangers outside the home.
I wouldn't say "just about all", but certainly a lot. And probably more with dogs than with cats (which I have the most experience with). Diabetes, cancer, heart disease are prevalent among older indoor cats. Christmas tree tinsel is another big one, along with Christmas (and other) lilies. Lilies are much more toxic to cats than Poinsettias.

But outdoor cats certainly do run up bigger and more frequent medical bills than indoor cats. On the other hand, they don't live very long for those same reasons.

Back