When ENJOYING a Father's Day Celebration, Don't Forget to THANK Farmers

Florida Cracker

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Florida Cracker
1898031_824226724269433_1392468641_n.png

From one Cadillac driving GMO growing populus killing whining devil that can't get enough tax payer money, I thank you.... ;)

Q: What's the difference between a farmer and a puppy?

A: A puppy eventually quits whining.

You said it! H.L. Mencken wrote many tomes about their whining in the 20 s and 30s. Very powerful lobby's whine for them also, costing the taxpayers billions! One could start with the ethanol scam. A total waste of time and money, driving food prices up considerably . Probably the least most efficient way to power an internal combustion engine. It's welfare with an air conditioned combine.

You said it! H.L. Mencken wrote many tomes about their whining in the 20 s and 30s. Very powerful lobby's whine for them also, costing the taxpayers billions! One could start with the ethanol scam. A total waste of time and money, driving food prices up considerably . Probably the least most efficient way to power an internal combustion engine. It's welfare with an air conditioned combine.

I see we're sticking with the "misplaced apostrophe" theme. Oh, and "least most efficient" is a jewel too!!!

BTW. You forgot to mention Bush, Cheney or Haliburton.

I see we're sticking with the "misplaced apostrophe" theme. Oh, and "least most efficient" is a jewel too!!!

BTW. You forgot to mention Bush, Cheney or Haliburton.

Dear frustrated English teacher. Why not refute what I've stated , give us some facts instead of childish gibberish.

I don't quite understand why I should thank someone for participating in their chosen profession.

I don't quite understand why I should thank someone for participating in their chosen profession.

I think I laughed so hard I won't pass my next medical ... :rofl:

NO ONE chooses farming.

It chooses you.

What's the matter?

Aren't they as intelligent and deserving as you? Oh, yeah, you think college professors are the only ones who do anything substantial....

No reason to thank firemen for their service?

No one should thank those servicing in the military?

But, well, if you are incapable of being appreciative...

What's the matter?

Aren't they as intelligent and deserving as you? Oh, yeah, you think college professors are the only ones who do anything substantial....

No one thanked me when I invented a process to improve rates of nitrogen fixation in legumes. I didn't expect it, I was just doing my job.

No reason to thank firemen for their service?

No one should thank those servicing in the military?

But, well, if you are incapable of being appreciative...

There is a profound difference between someone performing their chosen profession and someone risking their well being for altruistic reasons.

No one thanked me when I invented a process to improve rates of nitrogen fixation in legumes. I didn't expect it, I was just doing my job.

Would you like bread and cheese with that whine?

There is a profound difference between someone performing their chosen profession and someone risking their well being for altruistic reasons.

And someone risking their well being isn't the only the reason for appreciating their efforts.

Come on, think!

Seriously, how did the apostrophes get that mucked up? It is correct on one line, wrong on another, then right, then wrong.

I love farmers. You should give them proper recognition by not making them look like uneducated idiots.

Seriously, how did the apostrophes get that mucked up? It is correct on one line, wrong on another, then right, then wrong.

I love farmers. You should give them proper recognition by not making them look like uneducated idiots.

First, it would have been better if the person who made the graphic had been sober at the time.

Second, why do you assume the graphic was made by a farmer?

Farmers are easy targets because I'll bet that nine out of ten of them are too busy to be on talk boards to defend themselves. We have plenty of drama in our lives and don't need or want any more.

I'm semi-retired and have leased out most of our land. I operate only a small fraction of it so I have made time for myself.

With a profit margin of 3 to 4%, no one get's rich quick farming. It's a lifetime grind. There's usually an 'X' factor like mineral production, appreciating land value, or some other outlier that makes a truly 'rich' farmer.

The bad taste some folks have regarding farm policy is that the federal crop insurance program to large degree privatizes profits while socializing farm losses. Between yield protection and revenue protection heavily subsidized by the federal government, farmers enjoy a low cost hedge that few other businesses have access to. Maybe that's good policy, maybe it's not. But please, it is disingenuous to ignore it.

If you don't believe me, compare the cost of insuring the price of commodities in the options market versus the cost of a crop insurance revenue policy. Given the choices provided for in the latest farm bill, essentially 100% of a farmer's historical crop production is insured largely at the taxpayer's expense. I for one believe this government sponsored hedge is responsible for the runup in the value of farmland and the staggering increase in the cost of farm machinery. It's a sort of "heads I win, tails you lose" sort of proposition.

Farmers should be thankful for ordinary tax payers and foreign governments that loan our government money.

And please, let's not forget that when the market doesn't want a farmer's commodity, the federal government steps up and buys it through the loan program. Yes folks, farmers can default on the loan and the federal government keeps the commodity provided as collateral with no requirement to repay the loan. The farmer is also still allowed to collect damages from his crop insurance policy. And if they're lucky, a disaster relief program will be sprinkled in. It's a great deal for those who can get it.

Finally, I don't blame the sad state of affairs on the average farmer. This is something that has morphed over the decades from the symbiotic relationship between farm lobbyists and politicians. If food stamps and farm policy are ever separated from each other, maybe things will change. A farmer (multi generation business) has no choice but to participate in this craziness if he wants to survive.

I won't argue the merits or morals of some of the programs, I can only guess that with us representing less than 1% of the vote, we had no hand in setting these policies other than showing that without crop insurance and disaster assistance we'd all be out and somebody would go hungry.

It's one of those issues that has nuances to it that maybe are not self apparent. If too many farmers go out, food prices would go up maybe a lot, and in a sense the pennies that each taxpayer pays is a better equity than letting our food base fend for itself.

If anyone thinks the government can just step in and take over and start farming, or that a corporation could do it, maybe they can but I'll bet they'd be on the horn to me to bring me back in as a 'consultant' in no time or they would be operating the corporate or government way as in spending a dollar to make dime. Farming is still highly competitive even with the programs. Then throw in the weather... ;)

Growing, raising, mining, ad/or butchering is actual work, and a lot of risk. Desk jockeys, and armchair quarterbacks really don't get it. Don't want to get it, and couldn't even if they did.

Steingar made it plain. he wants a participation ribbon for his effort, but doesn't see the value in raising food for people, when something important like whatever he's doing is considered.

Here's your participation ribbon,. I picked a purple one, so you'd feel at home.

th

Of course you might like green, since you pretend to such heights of mmgw fear...

ImageCompositionServlet

Of course, it's almost July fourth, so maybe Red, White And Blue would work better for you.

thumbnailGetTemplate.cgi

...and here's a Christmas look for you...

mQmxd86dgNZfkW7ZWgZPGSQ.jpg

Last edited:
As a proud dad whose daughter just got her first job as a large animal (primarily dairy) veterinarian, we appreciate what farmers and producers go through to bring high quality food to market.

As for Father's Day, I thank Prarie Pride Farms and the Birkshire piggies who gave us their ribs. :) I've become a pork snob now that I've tasted Birkshire pork. :thumbsup:

https://www.prairiepridefarm.com/product-category/berkshire-heritage-pork-ribs/

As a proud dad whose daughter just got her first job as a large animal (primarily dairy) veterinarian, we appreciate what farmers and producers go through to bring high quality food to market.

As for Father's Day, I thank Prarie Pride Farms and the Birkshire piggies who gave us their ribs. :) I've become a pork snob now that I've tasted Birkshire pork. :thumbsup:

https://www.prairiepridefarm.com/product-category/berkshire-heritage-pork-ribs/

Smart girl.

If she were mine I might try to steer her towards the small animals however ...

That's where the $$$$ is.

Smart girl.

If she were mine I might try to steer her towards the small animals however ...

That's where the $$$$ is.

She's actually in a mixed practice, and will do small animal as well, but was hired specifically to help primarily with the dairy practice.

She figures that 60% of her education was with small animals, and she should keep those skills sharp in the event she gets injured, pregnant, or just wants to move to small animal.

She's actually in a mixed practice, and will do small animal as well, but was hired specifically to help primarily with the dairy practice.

She figures that 60% of her education was with small animals, and she should keep those skills sharp in the event she gets injured, pregnant, or just wants to move to small animal.

That's great.

I forget that when you're young you go where you can get a job first then worry about the rest later... :redface:

I'll stand up for the farmers as well. My family farms about 3000 acres and Uncle Sam takes his share for sure. What so many people don't understand about the programs is that farming is no longer dealing with a domestic market but rather a global market. AG is one of the few export businesses we have left and we need to protect our exports as well as our national food supply. Many other countries subsidize their AG as well as not putting the amount of burocratic regulation on their farms as we do. The subsidies of the past, which have mostly disappeared over the last few years, were in place to guarantee a cheap food supply for the lower income families of this country as well as protection for our export business. This is where you must ask yourself what you value more, cheap affordable food and slightly lower taxes maybe, or higher food prices, people going hungry and having less disposable income. As for crop insurance, it is not as lucrative as some would have you believe. Premiums are high and what it pays does not make a farmer rich. It is in place to help a farm survive a bad year. In a business with low margins, high input costs and even higher risk, a bad year or two can bankrupt a family that has been successfully farming for generations. Also insurance does not cover 100% of production history, in general most insurance will protect anywhere from 65%-75% depending on what premium a farmer would like to pay. My farm is mostly uninsured because premiums are so high and even with a near disaster we will still harvest an amount higher than what would be covered. As far as loan goes. Loan value of a crop is in place to create a market floor, which I might add is way below production cost. The commodity market is a funny thing. We could all make more money if production was actually dropped, we must keep a surplus or people go hungry. But if we produce slightly more than the market needs price drops to a point where we will all make less profit. And what is so often overlooked is that the American people of today enjoy the cheapest (relative to income) safest, and most diverse food supply of any people in any country at any point in history.

Yeah, but a lot of people type and hold meetings for a living, which feeds millions and millions of..... well.... ok may be not, but they type really good.

Growing, raising, mining, ad/or butchering is actual work, and a lot of risk. Desk jockeys, and armchair quarterbacks really don't get it. Don't want to get it, and couldn't even if they did.

Steingar made it plain. he wants a participation ribbon for his effort, but doesn't see the value in raising food for people, when something important like whatever he's doing is considered.

Your reading comprehension is at an all time low, though that hardly comes as a surprise. Who do you think was more important? The farmer who grows the crops, or the geneticist who alters the crop so the farmer can grow three times as much on on half the effort? FC thinks only farmers and those who do hard manual labor deserve any kind of respect. What he really doesn't understand is that our freedom is guaranteed more by the guys who design the next generation of jet fighters than the actual pilots who fly them. We it not for the former the latter would be flying pistons singles and would be massacred by all the other nations flying jets, who do value people who work with their minds and not their hands because they have more collective sense than FC, which isn't terribly much.

Your reading comprehension is at an all time low, though that hardly comes as a surprise. Who do you think was more important? The farmer who grows the crops, or the geneticist who alters the crop so the farmer can grow three times as much on on half the effort? FC thinks only farmers and those who do hard manual labor deserve any kind of respect. What he really doesn't understand is that our freedom is guaranteed more by the guys who design the next generation of jet fighters than the actual pilots who fly them. We it not for the former the latter would be flying pistons singles and would be massacred by all the other nations flying jets, who do value people who work with their minds and not their hands because they have more collective sense than FC, which isn't terribly much.

Steingar is VERY INSULTED that anyone would thank anyone other than him and his parasitic friends, living off the taxpayers and demanding more all the time.

Here's your hero with her battle flag.

Steingar is VERY INSULTED that anyone would thank anyone other than him and his parasitic friends, living off the taxpayers and demanding more all the time.

According to FC all those scientists and engineers who've improved our lives over the years are mere parasites, while he is a great hero for managing some cows (which would likely manage themselves just fine without anyone, but I digress). He would rather live in a world where polio runs rampant and we still fly biplanes. He could certainly understand it better.

I'm sure they appreciate it, but farmers don't need any thanks from anyone. We're pretty much used to being shat on by society.

If it isn't that we're a bunch of whiny tax sucking leeches, the city folks and Hollyweird think we're a bunch of grass chewing backwards idiots in overalls.

I'll bet a silver dollar I have a tractor that some of these highly educated city boys couldn't figure out how to operate and cut a straight row in 40 hours. :rolleyes:

monitors-in-cab-of-tractor.jpg

Back