When Does 172 vs 152 Break Even?

You break even when you add the second person. Solo a 150 is fun, if I have a passenger I want a 172. Dave

Depends on the passenger. If its one of your big sweaty buddies go for the 172. If its a good looking lady the 152 is the way to go. (sorry Kimberly its a stupid guy thing):D Don

Everyone who has never flown them rips them up with their ignorance, but they fly beautifully. I had 1962 150B straight tail fastback that was just sweet. I've got many hours in a 152 also. The only airplane that Cessna made that compares in roll and yaw, is the 177 series. I hated the 177 in pitch axis for a long time but grew to love the solid feel.

150/152 and the 177 have the best handling of the high wing Cessna line IMHO.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000619229.html

PS - They went to Tahoe which is exactly where I want to go. I can't wait. They did 10,500 the whole way or something.

I fly my older 172 with a 145 hp engine at 10,500 without much issue except the last 2k is a bit slow. It saves me a ton of time going over the mountain then flying around it. So what I am saying don't worry about taking a 172 to 10,500.

The 152 starts to run out of steam around the 6500' but the 172 will truck right up to 10,000' fairly quickly. It's percentage of power available. The 152 at115hp at sea level is putting out 75hp at 10,000'. The 172 at 160hp will still be putting out 105 at 10,000'. I fly a C140 quite a bit but when it gets warm out it doesn't perform very well at all but it still outruns my friend's 150. 150/152 is a lot more fun to fly than a 172. Don

Just to make things a little simpler :no:

On a typical flight, how much time do you spend on the ground? The 172 cost more for all of those minutes. So, you really want to look at total mission cost, assuming you're happy flying either aircraft. The longer you fly vs. ground time, the better the 172 is.

For any renter pilot (I'm one too), you need to add things like daily minimums and fuel reimbursement rates and how these effect your own pattern of flying. Sometimes, it's cheaper to rent from a smaller airport so you can minimize your ground cost. If you fly far enough to require purchasing fuel, you need to calculate if it's cheaper to taxi to the self serve pumps or not.

The bottom line is that you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure stuff out to the last dime.

Depends on the passenger. If its one of your big sweaty buddies go for the 172. If its a good looking lady the 152 is the way to go. (sorry Kimberly its a stupid guy thing):D Don

Or if the 150 is the only plane available you stuff a 6'3" tall dude in the right seat and fly with half fuel.

I will. At the EAA meeting last night there were 40 - 50 pilots and they asked me to stand up and say who I was and who told me about EAA. During "intermission" a man gave me a photo of his RV12 and on the back wrote his phone number and name and said I could fly it. I am going to of course offer him some gas money, and it is in maintenance right now, but that was exciting!

Be careful. just saying.

Be careful. just saying.

I never went and I don't go to that EAA anymore. A friend of a friend went and got the same offer and did take the guy up on it. He was a student pilot though so less cautious than I am now. He said it was a good flight.

Kimberly, If you still can take him up on it. The RV12 is a great flying airplane. You'll like it. Don

Kimberly, If you still can take him up on it. The RV12 is a great flying airplane. You'll like it. Don

That's OK. I know someone now (very well) who I trust and have seen fly at my airport. This pilot is an ex CFI and owns an RV. This pilot has said we should fly and it just so happens that our schedules haven't met up and / or I haven't reminded him to take me flying.

In all honesty, the older I get the less I want rides and the more I want to see new places myself as a pilot. I love flying in other people's planes but it just makes me want to jump out, climb into the left seat, and do everything myself. I "get it" now - those antsy pilots in the back seat who are so used to being at the controls themselves.

Back