When did the FAA stop issuing pilots licenses?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge documents when the first license was issued:

The Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce
began pilot certification with the first license issued on

April 6, 1927. The recipient was the chief of the Aeronautics
Branch, William P. MacCracken, Jr.[Figure 1-8] (Orville
Wright, who was no longer an active flier, had declined the
honor.) MacCracken’s license was the first issued to a pilot
by a civilian agency of the Federal Government. Some 3
months later, the Aeronautics Branch issued the first Federal
aircraft mechanic license.

But, as we all know (having heard it on the internet), we don't get pilots licenses anymore - they are certificates.

When did it change?

Ya'll are a bunch of Grammar Nazi Sympathizers

I'm just glad I am a Sport Pilot who can fly without a medical on just my driver's certificate. ;)

The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge documents when the first license was issued:

But, as we all know (having heard it on the internet), we don't get pilots licenses anymore - they are certificates.

When did it change?

License: v. To give permission. n. Permission.

Your "license" is the permission granted by the federal government to operate an aircraft. It is an intangible object.

Certificate: n. A document attesting to a certain fact.

Your pilot's certificate attests to the license, or permission, granted to you by the federal government to operate an aircraft. It is a tangible object.

When did it change?

The "change" happened with ICAO. Many countries operating under ICAO issue "licenses" which expire and have to be renewed on a calendar basis.

A "certificate" is issued once without an expiration.

My foreign ATPL (airline transport pilot license) expires at the end of January so I have to go to the simulator, take a check ride and then process for the renewal. This is every six months.

Imagine the screaming and whining if the US issued a license and required the holders to take an annual or semi annual check ride to renew.

So my CERTIFICATE is the little plastic card the size of a driver's LICENSE, right? Or was there some other more official looking piece of paper in the same envelope?

I'm just glad I am a Sport Pilot who can fly without a medical on just my driver's certificate. ;)

I am fairly sure any licensed (certificated) pilot can fly Sport pilot rules without a medical provided they comply with the restrictions.

Last edited:
Your CFI LICENSE has an expiration date. Just like a driver license, state medical license, hunting license, etc..

Your Airman/s Certificate is a Certificate showing that you have proven your ability to fly to a minimum standard of competence. It never expires. Nor does your birth certificate, BS/BA, MD/DO, etc.

So what is the difference?
Well, the lines are blurring, but in general a license is a contract between you and the government which gives you the RIGHT to do something - i.e. drive, teach, practice medicine, hunt/fish, dig septic tanks, sell beer, and so on.
Because a license gives the contractual Right to do something that others are forbidden, for the state to cancel that Right they have to show cause, perform due process, etc. The courts may be used to mediate disputes between the license holder and the issuer.

A Certificate is a Privilege granted at the discretion of some power - and that is the huge difference.
In our case that is the FAA Administrator. His issuance of an Airman's Certificate does not grant you a Contractual Right. You exercise your privilege to fly at the pleasure of the Administrator. He may cancel your Certificate at his discretion.
Early on the Courts refused to interfere with the FAA Administrator in the discharge of his duties. In more recent times this is changing and the Courts are becoming more assertive.

In an aside: I have a Certificate that states I have met the qualifications to be a Physician. It has no expiration date. I will always be a Physician.
However, to actually practice medicine I have to have a state license which does have an expiration date.

Is it 'anal retentive' or 'anal-retentive'? :yes:

Is it 'anal retentive' or 'anal-retentive'? :yes:

1010461_798227263524332_1133685697_n.jpg

Your CFI LICENSE has an expiration date. Just like a driver license, state medical license, hunting license, etc..

Funny, since my CFI "card" looks identical to my Pilot "card" with the exception of the words "Flight Instructor" instead of "Commercial Pilot" in block II. My CFI "card" then lists "Certificate Number xxxxxxx", and states on the back when it expires. So it seems at least that the CFI "card" is called a "certificate" by the FAA, and it does expire.

I bring that up to show that license and certificate are used virtually interchangeably. It's semantics. The argument that one expires while the other doesn't is, at least in the FAA's case, not valid. I'm sure there are other examples of various licenses that don't expire, and certificates that do.

How about we change the discussion to "certified" vs. "Certificated"

I generally find those that get worked up over calling it a license rather than a certificate don't really understand the real difference between the words.

I wonder how many are the same people that when asked how they are, will say, "I am well." (Fingers down a chalk board.)

The "change" happened with ICAO. Many countries operating under ICAO issue "licenses" which expire and have to be renewed on a calendar basis.

A "certificate" is issued once without an expiration.

My foreign ATPL (airline transport pilot license) expires at the end of January so I have to go to the simulator, take a check ride and then process for the renewal. This is every six months.

Imagine the screaming and whining if the US issued a license and required the holders to take an annual or semi annual check ride to renew.

Interesting. FCC commercial radio operator licenses, on the other hand, have no expiration date.

Back