When did the 337 Form first start being used?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
As I check paperwork for older aircraft with logged repairs but no 337 I got to thinking that perhaps back in the day there wasn’t even a 337.

Any one here know how long that form has been in use?

thx

Any one here know how long that form has been in use?
I believe the use of Form "337" dates back to early '50s. Prior to that there were various other "Repair and Alteration" forms used. However, when it comes to certain Major Repairs an older Repair Agency or a current CRS may use a work order to record that repair in lieu of a 337 provided they give a copy of that workorder to the owner and make a specific logbook sign off. So it's quite possible those major repairs you see may have been documented in that manner.

The 337 form originated in the Cessna factory, named after an appropriate airplane. ;)

The FAA was created in 1958, changed from the CAA to standardize the paperwork. The 337 was part of that. There were several ways to file and handling the 337 during the interim. but the form its self has basically unchanged.

There ya go! Before I read Toms post I was going to tell that I have 337’s for my 1948 Cessna 140 from the real late fifties.

There ya go! Before I read Toms post I was going to tell that I have 337’s for my 1948 Cessna 140 from the real late fifties.
It is possible that the 337 was used prior to 1958. and simply adapted by the FAA.

I just looked at the CD I got from the FAA on a 1946 Luscombe, in 1947 there is a Form ACA 337 (2-46), and the line on top with the large writing states: Major Repair and Major Alteration, so like Tom D. stated it was with the CAA and the FAA kept going with it, no idea what the ACA means, I also see ACA Form on the operation limitations from the same date.

no idea what the ACA means
FYI: I was told the ACA stood for Administer of Civil Aeronautics back when the CAA was under the Dept of Commerce. Most CAA forms had the ACA prefix to include the Form 337 predecessor the ACA 18-1 Repair and Alteration Form. I believe there is a reference to both forms in an old CAR, CAM, or CAA report somewhere. Usually rare to see anymore except old aircraft with complete records as your Luscombe.

Back