Wheel Pant Repair

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
I have one wheel pant on my C182 that had sustained some damage. It will require a little fiberglass repair, and replacement of a metal stiffener/support that screws on aft of the wheel, inside the fairing. I have looked around, and have not been able to find a replacement stiffener/support for sale, but I have fabricated one myself. I haven't installed it yet, but it fits just fine. Which brings me to my questions:

1. Can I use a part I fabricated myself, or must I use original or other certificated part?

2. Do I have to have it inspected either by an A/P or FAA representative, or can I sign off on a wheel fairing fix as minor repair?

[sarcasm on]Before all this you need to self-report to the FAA as to why the wheel pant sustained damage. [/sarcasm off]

[sarcasm on]Before all this you need to self-report to the FAA as to why the wheel pant sustained damage. [/sarcasm off]

Golly, I guess you're right. Nevermind then. ;)

Actually, it was that way when I bought it. Didn't even know the piece was missing until I took the pant off for annual. I doubt the previous owner knew it was gone either.

It's a fairing, minor repair. The material for the repair "should" be same material as origional. But, if you're not an A&P, you sign it off under preventive maintenance.

Last edited:
Golly, I guess you're right. Nevermind then. ;)

Actually, it was that way when I bought it. Didn't even know the piece was missing until I took the pant off for annual. I doubt the previous owner knew it was gone either.
Just teasing. I've seen a LOT of damaged fairings, so this is a good topic!

It's a fairing, minor repair. The material for the repair "should" be same material as origional. But, if you're not an A&P, you sign it off under preventive maintenance.

Thank you kindly.

Just teasing. I've seen a LOT of damaged fairings, so this is a good topic!

I know you were kidding. No worries.

I figured this meets the definition of a minor repair, but I wanted to make sure the feds weren't going to come raid my hangar. I'm new to these things.

Might want to read 43.7...
Why?
43 Appendix A (c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

(12) Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

43.7 Persons authorized to approve aircraft, airframes, aircraft engines, propellers, appliances, or component parts for return to service after maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration.

(f) A person holding at least a private pilot certificate may approve an aircraft for return to service after performing preventive maintenance under the provisions of §43.3(g).

(h) The holder of at least a sport pilot certificate may approve an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category for return to service after performing preventive maintenance under the provisions of §43.3(g).

Last edited:
12) Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.

I suppose fabricating a replacement part could be construed as not being a "small simple repair", but it's certainly not a structural piece of the airframe, and doesn't change the contour of anything or interfere with air flow.

Heck, I'll just let the A&P look at it. Annual is coming up soon.

Is this pant a plastic one or a fiberglass?

the plastic can't be repaired, nothing sticks to them, 3 months the patch falls off.

That's open to interpretation, a small simple repair to someone might not be to someone else.

I agree wholeheartedly. In this case, it's simple to me.

the plastic can't be repaired, nothing sticks to them, 3 months the patch falls off.

The pant in question is a fiberglass one. These fiberglass pants have a metal (in this case, stamped sheet steel) brace/stiffener/support thingy that is held in by 4 machine screws, inside the pant and aft of the wheel. I can only assume that the purpose of this part is to add rigidity to the fiberglass. It obviously doesn't have to have this part installed to be relatively safe, as the plane was flown for some unknown amount of time without it. The pant without the brace is in no worse shape than the one that has the brace, which leads me to the opinion that this is minor maintenance that I can legally do myself.

Here's the new and original part comparison.
jSLydYKiDBqDoH8ALdaLR4xQmlystgCA20zJn0CVioDuycChHeZ2Lurorr5obQbK26Of9lQAaQIxEyZo3oLeOzSd43xDnbmcOJ0HrcMzKfmzHAIxsHQJbewmc-UDBg-6kQoBVH8doeM8pqmtxyG6ZICOMMDlmbHRg8mVlegAfwrrV9xOMaUSOO3uIDorYxY9pjeXscVPIb1g8La_AksE0bXc3aKQtwVnuRUdATPdJ5M9e9Bcw1fXXX7iz9k83YJCTw1HElhRUefKGdV2F0tDd7rCtaNFPTyjG6jA_0nEiMecMgDCu66gRr00YbgH4-W4nXZdpvueVxh70II0eIT31D5HkWbfWkmeryryVWTbP27nwullxPSYjH3iBSyo-2ad3GzT-t1BrfLDs-30UFUE0NJu9_F-XdVCJwGXwtO0TQU-fyQNTtP2cj7EftxXtTFX3fmNF-veRFknKZd3pCIQxOeFWpwMi9YDrs7MxfEZCiarcCYWnhzaDTnyX5YQL0LAOrexXo_9zI_E0WHambjdMfzMH2j1R4ufKoLsCacc6yj6YzxSdhUqxBjsmxIfMEgmDmBM5ZY3ClentQBkFLhdj7SmFlrfUA=w448-h336-no

Here's the part installed in pant
0QdduXDZMbFLK8vREnuiL3cguQMYR32vFSugcCfZ4lk5VMPZ2wOp7I_ROwZecSFVXeyMFelLkP-TimXEckL9l9bbG_QK2LbdooBoQaOwPHZ3IArwO01-V1TsTjlzoktJ4gavEHappo12I41T7DDMpWk0yGQ0--VjkxfXHjuISj7YviD-tHSFI-H_Wr4ZsZgXHL5txcnPZKI7w8N7TjvlvHdKfMJu6VgfIM6nWo13DsyA7zzRzoYnoX-gksWvIj7K7Si7IspmHECWwlAPIpp7pNnm7Ta7oF-tXqfsDJ7SKiOV_7lFpd-NxRJurjbvzTJTWImz_CFAbI3FvPFFsTjqjjseqXL8zct94OsaxWUN5CSBn7IDRWuZWI7YMiPm0X2QutR-hUlZ4ir2e27u-k7zHZSYYE7ZleE_N-uWAjmJc9q8hCE9-xHltZs5FKbSwdfXjsKAxOwyPyNMitn0FSxcAb7kdTeEr6DTX1J_C5zIVSSWEw3o2bFkgR9rkw1TihztMM2jbRQWxdmeqZ-WuJ8kkh5DiqFkgN_VUdfOnOkLnJLPdha22vfc5iUvtwcLcFQ54f4UH8K-VCjoq72kgYeEsl4gcLp8Rg=w448-h336-no

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly. In this case, it's simple to me.

The pant in question is a fiberglass one. These fiberglass pants have a metal (in this case, stamped sheet steel) brace/stiffener/support thingy that is held in by 4 machine screws, inside the pant and aft of the wheel. I can only assume that the purpose of this part is to add rigidity to the fiberglass. It obviously doesn't have to have this part installed to be relatively safe, as the plane was flown for some unknown amount of time without it. The pant without the brace is in no worse shape than the one that has the brace, which leads me to the opinion that this is minor maintenance that I can legally do myself.

Here's the new and original part comparison.
jSLydYKiDBqDoH8ALdaLR4xQmlystgCA20zJn0CVioDuycChHeZ2Lurorr5obQbK26Of9lQAaQIxEyZo3oLeOzSd43xDnbmcOJ0HrcMzKfmzHAIxsHQJbewmc-UDBg-6kQoBVH8doeM8pqmtxyG6ZICOMMDlmbHRg8mVlegAfwrrV9xOMaUSOO3uIDorYxY9pjeXscVPIb1g8La_AksE0bXc3aKQtwVnuRUdATPdJ5M9e9Bcw1fXXX7iz9k83YJCTw1HElhRUefKGdV2F0tDd7rCtaNFPTyjG6jA_0nEiMecMgDCu66gRr00YbgH4-W4nXZdpvueVxh70II0eIT31D5HkWbfWkmeryryVWTbP27nwullxPSYjH3iBSyo-2ad3GzT-t1BrfLDs-30UFUE0NJu9_F-XdVCJwGXwtO0TQU-fyQNTtP2cj7EftxXtTFX3fmNF-veRFknKZd3pCIQxOeFWpwMi9YDrs7MxfEZCiarcCYWnhzaDTnyX5YQL0LAOrexXo_9zI_E0WHambjdMfzMH2j1R4ufKoLsCacc6yj6YzxSdhUqxBjsmxIfMEgmDmBM5ZY3ClentQBkFLhdj7SmFlrfUA=w448-h336-no

Here's the part installed in pant
0QdduXDZMbFLK8vREnuiL3cguQMYR32vFSugcCfZ4lk5VMPZ2wOp7I_ROwZecSFVXeyMFelLkP-TimXEckL9l9bbG_QK2LbdooBoQaOwPHZ3IArwO01-V1TsTjlzoktJ4gavEHappo12I41T7DDMpWk0yGQ0--VjkxfXHjuISj7YviD-tHSFI-H_Wr4ZsZgXHL5txcnPZKI7w8N7TjvlvHdKfMJu6VgfIM6nWo13DsyA7zzRzoYnoX-gksWvIj7K7Si7IspmHECWwlAPIpp7pNnm7Ta7oF-tXqfsDJ7SKiOV_7lFpd-NxRJurjbvzTJTWImz_CFAbI3FvPFFsTjqjjseqXL8zct94OsaxWUN5CSBn7IDRWuZWI7YMiPm0X2QutR-hUlZ4ir2e27u-k7zHZSYYE7ZleE_N-uWAjmJc9q8hCE9-xHltZs5FKbSwdfXjsKAxOwyPyNMitn0FSxcAb7kdTeEr6DTX1J_C5zIVSSWEw3o2bFkgR9rkw1TihztMM2jbRQWxdmeqZ-WuJ8kkh5DiqFkgN_VUdfOnOkLnJLPdha22vfc5iUvtwcLcFQ54f4UH8K-VCjoq72kgYeEsl4gcLp8Rg=w448-h336-no
That metal piece is a guard that keeps the pant from filling up with debris mud and stuff like that. simply replace it.

OBTW, what it does, has nothing to do with what type of repair it is.

OBTW, what it does, has nothing to do with what type of repair it is.

Doesn't it's function determine whether it meets the criteria for Major Alteration, Major Repair, or Preventive Maintenance in Part 43? Since I didn't see wheel pants brace/mud guard/stiffener doohickey specifically mentioned, I thought it relevant to check what I'm doing against the criteria in the FAR for the types of repair/maintenance. I haven't spent a lot of time perusing the FAR, but looking at the definitions and examples of the different types of repair and maintenance, it looks like what a part does has a lot to do with it.?.? Not trying to debate, just trying to learn things. Thanks, Tom.

Last edited:
It's a wheel fairing, and a simple repair. I'm sure almost every pilot/owner will look at it that way and fix it themselves and save some money, and be legal.

What do y'all think of my homemade part? Banged it out pretty quick at work using a vice, rubber end of a big screwdriver, pliers, file, and some sandpaper. I though it was a decent replica for a guy that's never worked with metal. :cool:

It's a wheel fairing, and a simple repair. I'm sure almost every pilot/owner will look at it that way and fix it themselves and save some money, and be legal.

Good deal. Thanks. That's what I was thinking to begin with, but I know I have a tendency to want to not follow all the rules to a T, since I have the ability (but not the certification) to fix most things on my own. I have to resist that urge, so that's why I asked for clarification on the rules. I thank you all.

So when was the last time ,your wheel pants where inspected?

If you need a REALLY good shop to do both the fiberglass repair, paint, and any required FAA paperwork, I can recommend Dave at Flying T Ranch near Melissa, TX.

He did the paint and various bits of fiberglass repair on our Skylane and we are all very happy with the results.

WHAT!!!?? A proper repair will hold up quite well. no matter what it's made of.

To the OP, IIRC owner produced parts are perfectly legal, provided it meets certian criteria. Using the old damaged part as a pattern for the new part meets that criteria. There are many sources for information on repairs, and what is acceptable. I've found AC43.13 to be invaluable in that.

WHAT!!!?? A proper repair will hold up quite well. no matter what it's made of.
have you ever tried to patch a 1978 172's nose wheel pant? show me the results.

To the OP, IIRC owner produced parts are perfectly legal, provided it meets certian criteria. Using the old damaged part as a pattern for the new part meets that criteria. There are many sources for information on repairs, and what is acceptable. I've found AC43.13 to be invaluable in that.
Only if you have data as to what material that part should be made of, is it 2024,6061, what temper?

Bob

I appreciate the replies very much, y'all. This is why I asked the question. Because things like this never seem to wind up being cut and dry. You can use FAR 43.(insert#) to say one thing, and FAR 43.(insert#) to say the opposite, and both seem valid. Confuses the crud out of me.

So when was the last time ,your wheel pants where inspected?

Couldn't answer that. I've had the plane for a little over a year. I had the pants on the shelf during the one annual I've had since the purchase. I never saw it without pants when the previous owner had it, so I would assume they were looked at in previous years, but he could have taken them off before flying to the annual shop.

If you need a REALLY good shop to do both the fiberglass repair, paint, and any required FAA paperwork, I can recommend Dave at Flying T Ranch near Melissa, TX.

He did the paint and various bits of fiberglass repair on our Skylane and we are all very happy with the results.

I appreciate that very much, Mike.

Only if you have data as to what material that part should be made of, is it 2024,6061, what temper?

Bob

Here's the rub. I didn't use the same material. The original was steel sheet metal, and I made the new one out of aluminum. I guess that puts it into the illegal column, and perhaps puts me in the moron column.

Bob
If you don't have data on the material, it can be determined through a combination of hardness testing, conductivity testing and chemsort testing. Had to do that a few times, years ago. Find a local NDT shop.

Get off the internet and into the shop, otherwise you'll never giterdone.

The plastic is ABS. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. The same stuff used in that black plastic drain pipe. The yellow ABS cement fuses to it, and fiberglass cloth will reinforce it.

Can it be welded? I've heard some motorcycle fairings can be.

I haven't tried it on a wheel pant, but I've fixed a few motorcycle gas tanks with this method, so I'd assume so. It's worth a try anyway.

I'd probably still try and reinforce the repair with something though, if possible.

The plastic is ABS. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. The same stuff used in that black plastic drain pipe. The yellow ABS cement fuses to it, and fiberglass cloth will reinforce it.

I like to use the black ABS cement, with some layers of fiberglass tape (sheet rock joint tape works nicely) on the inside for reinforcement. A little MEK can help thin the cement a bit if you are having trouble wetting out the fiberglass tape. Work on one layer at a time, making sure that each layup cures completely before continuing. It's not difficult, but can eat up a bunch of time if you are tracking the time factor. I also like to apply a full coat of ABS cement over the whole part if you are noticing that the part is starting to get brittle, as this seems to rejuvenate the original old ABS. Thin the cement a bit, and apply with a foam roller over the entire piece. Not something that I would pay another person to do for me, but if you have the time and the inclination go for it!

p.s. If you have painted parts, start with a gentle soda blasting, and that gets that pesky paint out of the way ;-)

V/r,
Dana

Good that some have pointed out how to repair ABS wheel pants. We did the nosewheel fairing on our 172M that way but also made sure the crack was ground out and the patch was heat formed so that there was no big change in section around the original crack. It lasted 10 years & a picture was posted by the present owner of it another 10 years later that still looks OK.

Best I can tell that was the way it was when I bought the plane

Back