What's your opinion on this video?

Some dude who realized being "edgy" would make him money. I went to a public school and did the bare minimum in HS and College. In HS, I got incredibly average grades but scored well enough in certain tests to take AP classes. I went to an incredibly average college. My wife went to private HS and and very well known engineering university where she graduated with honors. It takes all kinds as she introduces me to things and I introduce her to different things. For those complaining that school doesn't prepare you, I would ask 'what did you do to prepare yourself?" I say this as I was admittedly not a "go getter" in school but, i latched on to what I was interested in and I think that is the point. Provide a breadth of topics so each student can be better prepared to find their interests. If someone thinks that school is going to cater to them and hold their hand, you failed as life doesn't work that way.

And yes, i had some bad teachers that were punching a clock at best and guess what, I get to deal with some people like that now too. So you could say, life lesson learned early.

Now the Mulder the cat video. THAT was awesome!

Hahaha. He moved since then and no handles the cat can grab.

I equate this kid to MrAviation101. he's a kid with a camera, and is mostly (entirely) annoying. and they are both spreading filth on the internet.

only this guy somehow has 12 million views. and stupider hair. and a really really REALLY freaky "I just snorted an 8-ball and I'm going to kill you one day" look on his face.

but good for him, 12 million views.

I'm surprised at the grumpiness toward him. Like someone else said, the videos of him teaching his dad aren't bad, but I'll admit I haven't watched much else of his.

So anyway... it looks like the estimators are all high, but they do give a relative multiplier, and edgy rap kid makes more than most folks on the Tube.

Also on that estimator I was using, that was "all time" mode, so someone doing better who's only been on a year, than someone doing poorer at seven years, won't work out right with it.

And no doubt, I'll watch anything with airplanes in it on YT. Post it, I'll click it, I'll subscribe to It, and maybe even click "Like". If it helps you make $0.07, for your effort, cool.

Cajun... there's better sites if you want to be naked on camera. YouTube doesn't allow tipping. LOL.

Just for fun I poked the video dude's username into a couple of YouTube Ad Revenue estimators.

These tools usually shoot high, but most of them estimated well over $300,000 to him in ad revenues, considering his 500,000 likes on that video and over a million subscribers.

One might even start to think he did just fine, and found out that whining in rap songs about his weak education made him a pretty good side business.

(Technically he started seven years ago with tutorials on how to create music with software, but that doesn't get as many "likes" or subscribers, and that's what YouTube pays for after taking their 45% cut. These calculators are after that. His videos produced almost half a million in ad revenue so far in seven years.)

Just another dude with "content" to sell, and apparently this content pays.

Whatever he makes, even if the estimators are off by a multiplier, it's three times as much as ArduinoVersusEvil, otherwise known as "AvE" -- the funny as hell Canuck who posts great "shop" videos of him screwing around in his metal shop at home. Good old "uncle bumble****" and his stuff that won't "chooch". Love that guy.

By the way, YouTube estimates that I made $2 so far. LOL.

Other notables from the estimator:
(Rounded up to nearest whole thousand...)

MzeroA: $17,000
steveo1kinevo, $32,000
MrAviation101: $25,000
AvWeb: $120,000

Even our own Bryan with a Y the estimator says made a whopping $800 from silly Cirrus videos. I hope so anyway. Is the estimator right @SixPapaCharlie ?

And one of my non-aviation favorites:
Hickock45: $1.5M

None of the above count any endorsement deals or anything like that. Just the ads served up before the videos on YouTube. And another "famous" YouTuber, EEVBlog (who coincidentally recently did a very open video about YouTube Ad revenue so one could easily check his real numbers against these estimators, and who's been YouTubing now as a full time job for about four years if I remember correctly...) : $204,000

Rap-whiney-boy has Dave at EEVBlog beat by a hundred thousand bucks on the estimator.

Another popular channel folks here turned me on to, who's funny as all get out also, CasuallyExplained: $885,000

I have one that went viral.. it estimates $6k on 3.3M, but I think thats actually low, It should be a little over 10k.

Link that bad boy so we can see!
Not too exciting, I decided it'd be a great idea to build my own inground pool.. and I put a CCTV camera up so the guys at work could see my progress. In the end I turned it into a time lapse and randomly uploaded it to youtube. A couple months later they contacted me about revenue, so I said sure. Fast forward and its paid for the pool.

I definitely missed the boat on music - should have put the Benny Hill theme on it.

What it looks like today (ironically, I listed the house for sale this week too!)
IMG_6138.JPG

Lolz

What schools teach real economics, stocks, first aid, or even require students know their constitutional rights???

Schools breed cogs, not citizens.

Yours didn't? I'm serious. I had every bit of that before I graduated high school in 1995 in Iowa.

I was going to ask the same. I graduated high school in 1996 in Kansas. I was well-versed (for a kid) in basic personal economics (credit/mutual funds/savings/interest), world history, we spend an entire year on government, half a year on Kansas history, plus all the normal school stuff you'd expect.

I was going into college as a music major so I didn't lean really heavily on STEM classes. I took theatre, debate, music theory & music history classes instead. But in terms of civics and whatnot we were pretty thoroughly educated (provided of course that you paid attention).

I went to a private military school. I learned all the useful things for life, like.... uhhh.... oh yeah... We learned how to dis-arm armed guards, hand to hand combat, self defense against armed intruders and escape and evasion techniques......

And ultimately there is no class that can prepare you for that, it's pure OJT.

That's twice now that I've seen that posted here. I agree with your post except for this part. Why do you assume their are no classes or instruction that can prepare you for parenthood?

That's twice now that I've seen that posted here. I agree with your post except for this part. Why do you assume their are no classes or instruction that can prepare you for parenthood?

It's not an assumption, it's my personal belief as the father of 3 kids.

You can take classes to help prepare you for individual parts. We went to birthing classes (which were helpful), for example. School is good for teaching you particular facts for rote memorization or learning certain skill sets that are repeatable or have some application. You'd end up forgetting everything that you learned in that class by the 2nd night that you hadn't slept (which will mean by the child is 2 days old you will have forgotten the class material). That's assuming you remembered it through baby-brain (if you're the mom), a phenomenon where your memory turns to mush while pregnant. So taking a class in high school on how to be a parent isn't useful unless you're going to have a kid in high school.

Ultimately, the biggest reason a class on how to raise a kid wouldn't work is that all kids are different. In parenting you've got the easy answer and the best answer. The easy answer is typically a society normalized answer that will generally mostly work for the majority of kids. The best answer will be the one that fits the needs of your child the best, and may not be applicable to other children or other situations. A class can teach you the easy answer, but only you as a parent can figure out the best answer for your individual child. A class in school would teach "This is how you discipline your children. This is how you change a diaper." Well, discipline tactics vary from child to child. Cloth diapers are different than disposables if you use them. Really the thing to do is research, and talking to other parents (especially ones you think do a good job) is going to be far more helpful.

It's far more useful to teach high school students how to NOT have kids, and reinforcing that (although I think parents also have a role in this). I also remember hearing about some schools that would give kids (I think especially girls) a doll that acted like a real baby and would start crying every couple of hours during the night until you sat up with it and gave it a bottle. I forget the details and I don't see any way it could be as demanding as a real baby, but it seems like it's not a bad idea.

Based on some of the opinions expressed by certain individuals on this board, I find it endlessly amusing when they talk about how OTHERS don't understand civics or economics.

ea818c47f87d1cc618a08e527aa40f123611b77aee0cf8f5981e3262f88e1e9b.jpg

Based on some of the opinions expressed by certain individuals on this board, I find it endlessly amusing when they talk about how OTHERS don't understand civics or economics.

Looking back quickly over the thread, I'm not seeing where anyone except the video boy said *anything* about not understanding either one.

In fact, the only person who's claimed that others don't understand civics or economics, is you. So far, anyway.

Why would you make up that story, just to then make a generalized passive-aggressive remark about no one in particular? Bad day?

Looking back quickly over the thread, I'm not seeing where anyone except the video boy said *anything* about not understanding either one.

In fact, the only person who's claimed that others don't understand civics or economics, is you. So far, anyway.

Why would you make up that story, just to then make a generalized passive-aggressive remark about no one in particular? Bad day?

Easy killer. It wasn't made up. It's there.

...pure waste of my/his time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In keeping with forum rules, I'm not going to point anyone out. But it is there embedded within the first several posts.

There is no rule against discussing whether or not someone's opinion is wrong.

As long as it's not phrased as personal attack.

That's all bull$h1t! The purpose of the first 12 years of school is about learning how to learn and how to behave around other people. That's the problem with society today. Everyone wants a magic pill that makes you smarter. But, thats not how it works.

If you want to manage your money better, then learn. Don't wait for someone to teach you. If you want to be a _____________ (insert your word here) then go LEARN.

In this stupid day and age where people seem to want the government to give them everything, this kind of crap (see video in OP) is what results. End of story!

I would say the purpose of elementary and high school in today's information age is to force kids to learn things they wouldn't otherwise be interested in. It forces you to have a pool of basic knowledge and skills to build on so that hopefully when you do encounter a subject that you are interested in you'll have enough math and other skills to understand it. The problem we run into is that we don't agree and can't predict what knowledge/skills need to be in that pool.

There are also a lot of little skills that don't get taught specifically but you learn anyway. Remember when you had to write essays about something you didn't care about or answer an opinion question about a short story that nearly put you to sleep? Well, you know how you wrote that cover letter for your resume where you pretended you actually were excited to work for some company when in actuality you're only doing it because you need money? Yup, we all learned to BS in school. One of the most essential skills to have for people in the modern working world sadly.

If you want to be a _____________ (insert your word here) then go LEARN.

"Guy who makes whiney songs and posts them on YouTube to make thousands of dollars"... already inserted. ;-)

He's a play'a. Same biz as politicians and televangelists.

I'm sure he has fans all excited for his next musical release telling them that their lives suck and he's got the answers.

As long as they click the subscribe button, he makes money.

Yours didn't? I'm serious. I had every bit of that before I graduated high school in 1995 in Iowa. I took econ in high school and at community college before I graduated. Our business class had a "fake money" stock trading contest with commissions and daily tracking. I learned how to fill out a 1040 in the same class. I had CPR and basic first aid as part of gym class. The Constitution was in civics class. I even learned how to make a clay pot and do some welding in addition to the physics and calculus.

I had a very similar experience. Graduated in 1999 in Northeast Ohio. Public school system.

-CPR and First Aid was part of physical education in both Middle School and High School.
-Cooking, home care, sewing, and basic infant care were part of home economics in Middle School.
-The Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence were taught multiple years in multiple classes (Civics, American History I/II, American Government).
-At least two years of one foreign language was required.
-Learning how to use the postal service, using bank accounts, writing checks, and budgets was required.
-Senior year of high school we were required to fill out tax forms and file our taxes.

Not that every one of these were perfect. Sure, teachers put their own flavor on everything. But at least the building blocks were there, and I'm glad it was like that.

I can relate however to the large variation in schools. I spent a year out in the sticks with my Dad, and did my sophomore year of high school there. It was not good. Didn't offer even half of this stuff above, it was very basic, and it felt like I took a year off. Simple math, science, english (read the book you read in 8th grade), how to use an internet browser (naptime). Very unique attitude that I had never seen before..."Oh, you are failing? Don't worry about that. Score some points for us in the big game tonight, we'll take care of it." When I got back to Ohio I felt like I was seriously behind, and it was more challenging getting through my junior and senior years. The differences are real.

Yours didn't? I'm serious. I had every bit of that before I graduated high school in 1995 in Iowa. I took econ in high school and at community college before I graduated. Our business class had a "fake money" stock trading contest with commissions and daily tracking. I learned how to fill out a 1040 in the same class. I had CPR and basic first aid as part of gym class. The Constitution was in civics class. I even learned how to make a clay pot and do some welding in addition to the physics and calculus.

Yep. We didn't cover the 1040 though. I had a job while in high school, so I filled out a 1040EZ. There was a shop class, or maybe classes, but those weren't for those going to college, so I never took any of those.

In grade school we did a multi-day thing where we all had different jobs in a town, play money for buying and selling things. In high school we went over the constitution and amendments. We also did a stock trading thing over several weeks. I think everyone started with $100k (on paper) and we tracked our investments.

My kids had a whole budgeting assignment. Everyone randomly got assigned jobs/incomes, then had to figure out costs; apartment, utilities, cars, food, etc. It was quite involved. The kids had to go research those costs, they weren't given to them.

Back