What's your opinion on this video?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Its been making the rounds and I have watched it probably 10 times. Half the time I agree and the other half I think we all had to have that same education and somehow managed to become doctors, lawyers, scientists, hookers, brokers, drug dealers, pilots, etc. I think maybe he has a point but all that junk is just a platform for learning how to learn because School can't possibly prepare you for everything you might need to know. Anyway... thoughts?

0mKXcg1.gif

That guy had ****ty parents and/or picked the wrong classes in high school.

Lolz

What schools teach real economics, stocks, first aid, or even require students know their constitutional rights???

Schools breed cogs, not citizens.

Lolz

What schools teach real economics, stocks, first aid, or even require students know their constitutional rights???

Schools breed cogs, not citizens.

Yours didn't? I'm serious. I had every bit of that before I graduated high school in 1995 in Iowa. I took econ in high school and at community college before I graduated. Our business class had a "fake money" stock trading contest with commissions and daily tracking. I learned how to fill out a 1040 in the same class. I had CPR and basic first aid as part of gym class. The Constitution was in civics class. I even learned how to make a clay pot and do some welding in addition to the physics and calculus.

I have a theory on at least higher education:

A students teach and B students end up working for C students.

I agree with that video to a degree, but the value in education is not the ABC's...it is problem solving, discipline, deadlines, critical thinking skills, social skills, interpersonal skills and as I learned in college, to be able to BS and play the "game" skills needed to get ahead both with colleagues and professors.

The dude in the video missed a lot of that....as have many.

Yours didn't? I'm serious. I had every bit of that before I graduated high school in 1995 in Iowa. I took econ in high school and at community college before I graduated. Our business class had a "fake money" stock trading contest with commissions and daily tracking. I learned how to fill out a 1040 in the same class. I had CPR and basic first aid as part of gym class. The Constitution was in civics class. I even learned how to make a clay pot and do some welding in addition to the physics and calculus.

Not even remotely, and I was in higher end classes, nor in the community I moved into now, nor where I lived in Ca, nor do any of the college kids around here appear to have any knowledge of these subjects, and there are about 4 high end universities around me. Wish that wasn't the case

He's got a point that many classes in the curriculum don't prep you for real life, but most of us knew that well before HS and certainly didn't wait until after HS to make rap videos whining about it.

Many of the things he wanted were available at my school if you bothered to sign up, and I'd say the two most valuable courses I took were typing and economics.

Math comes in useful at times, and the rest were pretty much always known by me to be only useful as dinner party conversation fodder, even before I hit HS.

My Econ teacher knocked my grade down a notch for handing in an "unrealistic" personal budget. I lived on that budget for years while paying cash for college classes and learning to fly. So **** him. Double **** him now that I earn multiples more than his best year teaching, and have zero debt in my 40s. I think I could teach a better Econ class than he did. I'd start with using a zero-based budget, not a forecasted one. But I learned how to do that in one NIGHT from a library book, so what's the big deal?

That teacher just wanted my budget to look like the rest of the upper middle class student body, and it wasn't. We were squarely middle class or lower middle class. In other words, he was just an old prick waiting out a few more years for his pension check.

If anything he just motivated me to work harder. I'd thank him for that much if he wasn't such an ass**** about it.

Dropped out of college around the time I matched his salary, traveling with an engineer title I didn't deserve. (I still respect the title and think only someone who's passed the PE exam should hold it, but the job market in IT says otherwise and all I cared about was doing the job and getting the paycheck for it. I'll take "Internet Janitor" as a title for all I care.) And I've engineered things to a standard that worked better than systems built by "real" engineers in IT also, so whatever. My first two years on the road I had to fight with rental car places to get the damned car to go to the customer sites. They didn't understand the company was self-insured and I wasn't 24 yet.

Law was the funniest part in his video. What law didn't he know by HS that he needed to know to get by?

He whines that he didn't take a PoliSci class also, mixed in with that law part, so I don't know what he wants. Most law boils down to "don't be an ass" and fiscal law boils down to "you'll know when you need to hire an accountant or an attorney" and you'll have the resources to do so by that point anyway.

And if you're the stubborn sort, again, the library is a few miles down the road.

The short version:
- Assuming HS teaches you everything you need to know is stupid.
- Assuming you stop having to learn things after HS is even stupider. Crack a book. You're paying the taxes for the library, use it.

What law? Dude watch campus police straight turn kids inside out, those "highly educated" kids couldn't tell your more than maybe 2 or 3 constitutional rights of their lives depended on it

Just for fun I poked the video dude's username into a couple of YouTube Ad Revenue estimators.

These tools usually shoot high, but most of them estimated well over $300,000 to him in ad revenues, considering his 500,000 likes on that video and over a million subscribers.

One might even start to think he did just fine, and found out that whining in rap songs about his weak education made him a pretty good side business.

(Technically he started seven years ago with tutorials on how to create music with software, but that doesn't get as many "likes" or subscribers, and that's what YouTube pays for after taking their 45% cut. These calculators are after that. His videos produced almost half a million in ad revenue so far in seven years.)

Just another dude with "content" to sell, and apparently this content pays.

Whatever he makes, even if the estimators are off by a multiplier, it's three times as much as ArduinoVersusEvil, otherwise known as "AvE" -- the funny as hell Canuck who posts great "shop" videos of him screwing around in his metal shop at home. Good old "uncle bumble****" and his stuff that won't "chooch". Love that guy.

By the way, YouTube estimates that I made $2 so far. LOL.

Other notables from the estimator:
(Rounded up to nearest whole thousand...)

MzeroA: $17,000
steveo1kinevo, $32,000
MrAviation101: $25,000
AvWeb: $120,000

Even our own Bryan with a Y the estimator says made a whopping $800 from silly Cirrus videos. I hope so anyway. Is the estimator right @SixPapaCharlie ?

And one of my non-aviation favorites:
Hickock45: $1.5M

None of the above count any endorsement deals or anything like that. Just the ads served up before the videos on YouTube. And another "famous" YouTuber, EEVBlog (who coincidentally recently did a very open video about YouTube Ad revenue so one could easily check his real numbers against these estimators, and who's been YouTubing now as a full time job for about four years if I remember correctly...) : $204,000

Rap-whiney-boy has Dave at EEVBlog beat by a hundred thousand bucks on the estimator.

Another popular channel folks here turned me on to, who's funny as all get out also, CasuallyExplained: $885,000

Oh here's a good way to see if the estimator is right.

One of my buddies at work shot -- no kidding -- a cat video... that took off viral, and even hit Good Morning America and the rest of the world's mainstream media... the phone calls asking for permission rang all day one day at work plus emails. Very strange phenomenon when a video goes viral like that. Was fun to watch. Anyway...

It estimates that he's made about $40,000 on it overall with 19 million views.

I'll ask him. I know he's mentioned he definitely got thousands from it, and it was a nice little surprise when the video took off.

If you feel like watching it and making him probably five cents:

Just for fun I poked the video dude's username into a couple of YouTube Ad Revenue estimators.

These tools usually shoot high, but most of them estimated well over $300,000 to him in ad revenues, considering his 500,000 likes on that video and over a million subscribers.

One might even start to think he did just fine, and found out that whining in rap songs about his weak education made him a pretty good side business.

(Technically he started seven years ago with tutorials on how to create music with software, but that doesn't get as many "likes" or subscribers, and that's what YouTube pays for after taking their 45% cut. These calculators are after that. His videos produced almost half a million in ad revenue so far in seven years.)

Whatever he makes, even if the estimators are off by a multiplier, it's three times as much as ArduinoVersusEvil, otherwise known as "AvE" -- the funny as hell Canuck who posts great "shop" videos of him screwing around in his metal shop at home. Good old "uncle bumble****" and his stuff that won't "chooch". Love that guy.

steveo1kinevo, $32,000

Even our own Bryan with a Y the estimator says made a whopping $800 from silly Cirrus videos. I hope so anyway. Is the estimator right @SixPapaCharlie ?

None of the above count any endorsement deals or anything like that. Just the ads served up before the videos on YouTube. And another "famous" YouTuber, EEVBlog (who coincidentally recently did a very open video about YouTube Ad revenue so one could easily check his real numbers against these estimators, and who's been YouTubing now as a full time job for about four years if I remember correctly...) : $204,000

Rap-whiney-boy has Dave at EEVBlog beat by a hundred thousand bucks on the estimator.

Another popular channel folks here turned me on to, who's funny as all get out also, CasuallyExplained: $885,000

Haha the youtube estimator must be off.
I think I have $130 in my yt account.

steveo1kinevo, $32,000

Wait, you can make money from youtube videos?!!! And I've been doing my flight videos clothed this whole time?!!!!

Obviously the quality of education I received growing up wasn't really all that great.

We need to teach kids how to pay 1000 dollars worth of bills with a $600 dollar pay check. :)

That was awful however I do think our education system is VERY broken. At all levels. I work in higher ed and it needs a complete redesign.

I'm old, so I went to a real (public) school and got a pretty good education. Of course I did all AP classes Math, Science, English, History and the bare minimum of "fluff" courses.
In these latter days I tell anyone who asks: "Get your kids out of public school. Home School, or if you are too lazy to do it right, private school."
The Public School system is a waste of time, money and talent. Thank you Teachers Unions, everywhere.

I teach Math, Sciences, History and Programming to the kids in a Home School Association. Every single kid scores in the top 1% on the SATs and goes on to college, and graduates.

Public school is designed for, and works really well for:
a) students who will focus and apply themselves.
b) students whose parents won't listen to their children's bullshet excuses and who will push them to do a).
I have seen it so many times. That is all.

What's my opinion on the video ?

He's whining about teachers not handing him his life plan on a silver platter instead of taking his own initiative to utilize the skills he was taught to open a book and learn about law, taxes, etc, etc.

We need all sorts of people to make the world tick, but propagating ignorance is very dangerous.

If you are not interested in learning then applying that to something useful, then great don't do it. Don't complain though.

This video really ****es me off. You live in America, and everything is within arms reach. I bet the kids in the slums of third world countries would love the opportunities this guy has wasted.

(Note: I haven't seen the video yet, but I think I know from the previous posts what to expect.)

It's been more than a few years since HS for me. Public HS, two different schools since I was an Army brat and moved all the time. One was a little ahead of the other in some areas, but in both of them I had what I'd consider real-world training. Maybe it was because the schools I went to were in communities where most students didn't get any further than HS and needed enough knowledge to get by on that diploma alone. Personal finance one semester, civics/government was required, and math/science/shop with labs that taught the consequences of poor decision making. HS is what you make of it. If you avoid the hard classes or skip over the real world electives, you'll get what your parent's tax dollars pay for.

As someone who was in high school probably far more recently than most of you :p:

I went to public school, but it is in the top 50 public schools in the US. The video makes some good points, but IMHO school is not for learning everyday practical things. My high school was more for preparing the future scientists and engineers. I did not have time for all of those "practical" electives because with a weighted GPA it would take a hit by taking less honors and AP courses. My school gave me the tools to succeed in university to be an engineer. Same with the chemists and chemical engineers, and even poly sci majors I know are more successful for knowing that "useless" information. High School curriculum is a shotgun spray of trying to prepare students for college, not life.

Though my high school got rid of shop programs in favor of art. :rolleyes:

The missing link in many of these discussions is parenting. Long before schools parents taught their children the required skills to survive and excel in life. It's not the schools job to teach everything. In fact good parenting can fix a lot of problems caused by bad schools.

That said our education system is broken but kids still need to check the boxes for resumes later in life.

I think he's whining and may have gone to a crappy school. I learned most of the things he's complaining about prior to graduation from high school. Most of the rest were covered in college, especially practical matters like mortgages, budgeting, how our government works, etc. Not all, but most. The remainder I had the opportunity to learn and sometimes chose not to (CPR, etc.). A number of the things he discusses are items where parents are better suited to teach than the school. I don't want school telling my kids how they should raise their kids, for example. And ultimately there is no class that can prepare you for that, it's pure OJT. Most

There are a lot of things school can teach better than parents can on average, such as science, math, government, etc. Now some of those need some salt taken with them, but overall school is good for those. I think it's good for the average person to have some education on these topics.

Now whether school is the correct place for you to learn what you need for your career is another story. Many kids are going to college when they shouldn't be, which is a separate discussion.

I think he should quit his whining.

I was lucky to get through the public school system before it became unionized and politicized. I'm very happy with the education I sought out. My father put me into a good school system and excellent opportunities were there for those who chased them.

I agree with Denverpilot - learning doesn't stop after you leave school. I stay curious and engaged about learning all kinds of stuff to this day.

After I told my sons' Principal the following he asked me to tell it to the whole assembly of parents and students...

There are seven words to a better education for your kids: "What did you learn in school today?" The key to learning is exposure to knowledge and despite the new age educators dreams, that means repetition. A child may hear the lesson once from the teacher and get it reinforced in homework but if he/she can be conversant in the subject and form their own thoughts it will become knowledge. So, ask your kids and discuss their schoolwork with them.

The problem with this approach is that parents have to know what their kids are doing. I had a copy of my sons schedule and would ask him about each class. I also remembered my high school experience and was able to discuss things like algebra and history and English and even some economics. He got his degree in finance and is a Marine Major working at NSA right now. Last night he surprised me with a Facetime call and the first thing he said was to his 7 year old daughter-"Tell Pop what you learned in school today." He's all right.

I equate this kid to MrAviation101. he's a kid with a camera, and is mostly (entirely) annoying. and they are both spreading filth on the internet.

only this guy somehow has 12 million views. and stupider hair. and a really really REALLY freaky "I just snorted an 8-ball and I'm going to kill you one day" look on his face.

but good for him, 12 million views.

This video really ****es me off. You live in America, and everything is within arms reach. I bet the kids in the slums of third world countries would love the opportunities this guy has wasted.

However for the money I pay into the school system I EXPECT functioning adults who know some basic life skills, know their rights, etc.

For what I pay I don't think I'm asking too much, not by a long shot, so produce adults who have those basic skills or shut it the F' down and give me my money back.

Its been making the rounds and I have watched it probably 10 times. Half the time I agree and the other half I think we all had to have that same education and somehow managed to become doctors, lawyers, scientists, hookers, brokers, drug dealers, pilots, etc. I think maybe he has a point but all that junk is just a platform for learning how to learn because School can't possibly prepare you for everything you might need to know. Anyway... thoughts?

Totally worthless video.

I think Mr. Red Streak has a point. I was public schooled in Arkansas - a state which competes with Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama for the lowest level of education in the entire 50 states. Before I graduated high school, it was widely assumed that the rich kids went to college and the poor kids went to work. Nobody ever explained to us that scholarships, grants and student loans would make college affordable for the poor kids. Nobody. I was a pretty smart student and finished 12th out of 103 so I may have been eligible for a scholarship but I'll never know. You don't know what you don't know.

I joined the Air Force and took advantage of tuition assistance and got a Bachelor's Degree in something I will probably never use (HR) and I was only the second person is my large extended family to ever get a degree. (The other person was my cousin who went to school in Missouri)

So although I don't like rap, especially white rap, I think he has a point.

I equate this kid to MrAviation101. he's a kid with a camera, and is mostly (entirely) annoying...

Yet you and I continue to watch his videos. :sigh:
However, I will say that since he's been posting his videos training his dad on instruments, I've actually learned a few things. The trick is to mute the sound at the end because his sappy philosophical voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Yet you and I continue to watch his videos. :sigh:
However, I will say that since he's been posting his videos training his dad on instruments, I've actually learned a few things. The trick is to mute the sound at the end because his sappy philosophical voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

The ONLY way I watch one of his videos is if I get SUCKERED in my youtube showing a suggestion and I click on it before realizing it it's him. I think there was one about a twinkie I obviously clicked on then realized I got whamboozled.

I'm a older dude and had interesting courses thru HS years, economics was one of my favorites. We actually went on a field trip to Wall St (we were in NJ so couple hours away). I always took wood shop from 6th thru 12th grade as I liked and enjoyed it. Had a couple scholarship offers for football from small colleges, but was tired of school. In 1967 you faced the draft if you didn't have a deferment. Dad was career USAF, so being a little familiar with it, I went into the USAF, learned a trade, became a controller later, got my AAS and BS in ATC and Business Admin respectfully by going to class at night. USAF is very big on education and encourages it.

I do feel the military offers tremendous opportunities to those who are motivated to get them. The military tends to give you a lot of responsibility at a young age, whether a fighter pilot or a medic, and of course discipline. But now there is not a draft, so military service is voluntary now.

I'm in Alabama now near Birmingham, and the county and city where I live has very good public schools, and a few others are very good school systems such as Vestavia and Mountain Brook, Birmingham (inner city) not so much. There are a lot of private schools in Alabama, as the public schools in the rural areas of the state are lacking. A lot of stereotype about Alabama and the South, but it's possible to get a quality education here. My two kids did, and both went to college, one has a MBA.

It estimates that he's made about $40,000 on it overall with 19 million views.

Youtube is CPM based:

Cost per mille (CPM), also called cost ‰ and cost per thousand (CPT) (in Latin mille means thousand) stands for cost per 1,000 Impressions.

CPM networks pays for every 1,000 YouTube ad impressions you get.

Source: Cost per mille

If a CPM is $1 then it means that they’re paying you $1 for every 1,000 advertisement impressions you generate.

CPM could be $0.1 or $10, it all depends on the niche you're using (video games, music videos, educational, comedy, etc...).

YouTube's CPM is reported to be on average 7.6$, that means you get paid 7.6$ for each 1,000 views.

Let's do the math in case and calculate the average scenario of 1$ CPM:

1,000 views 1.0$
10,000 views 10.0$
100,000 views 100.0$
1,000,000 views 1000.0$
10,000,000 views 10,000.0$
100,000,000 views 100,000.0$
1,000,000,000 views 1,000,000.0$

If I hadn't seen the video, then I'd have sworn I was listening to Fitty Cent or Snoop Dogg.

Back