What's your Favorite Piston Airplane

I think my J-3 Cub and my Pitts Model 12 are my favorites :)

Attachments

• model124.jpg
    model124.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 49
  • cub1.jpg
    cub1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 37
The Carbon Cub I had the opportunity to fly this past summer immediately claimed that honor. All the fun of a Cub plus amazing performance, more room, more range, and a steam +GPS panel that's as close to my definition of perfection as it gets.

Rich

If money is an object: Cessna 180

If money is no object: Dehavilland Beaver (wheeled)

I loved my Aerostar and think they fly and handle better than anything else ever made.

V-tailed Bonanza, natch!

Well, I'd typcially respond with the obligatory "mine!"

But I can't right now because my pistons are in another state.

So I guess currently it's my favorite piston-less airplane.

:goofy:

Well, I'd typcially respond with the obligatory "mine!"

But I can't right now because my pistons are in another state.

So I guess currently it's my favorite piston-less airplane.

:goofy:

I feel you ...I am sitting here with a phoneless cord...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 20
My favorite pistons are the ones built by Douglas. Beechcraft would be second.

If money is no object: Dehavilland Beaver (wheeled)

Set the bar a little low I think....:yes:

How's about a G6? You know, something with a little comfort and economy to boot.

I'm guessing you mean GA airplane (my overall favorite is the P-38), but I've always like the look of the Beech Duke.

Of those that I've flown, the Bonanza has always been my favorite. I spent some time in an A36TC, but I'll bet I'd like all the others as well. It's just such a beautifully handling airplane.

I love the look of your Pitts. There's just something about the radial engines...

John

Best times were in the Stearman , taking off just after dawn, calm cool summer morning, just cruising around at a thousand feet or a little less , much less if buzzing a sail boat or boats rafted out, over farmland or over coves of the chesapeake bay. Just wonderful flying. Also flying alongside the bay bridge , not too far away . It was painted navy colors. Lots of fun.

Not that I could ever afford one, but:

Vt67754.jpg

I had a chance to fondle admire from a distance a turboprop version that happened to be parked in transient at my home airport last week. Super nice bird!

The quality and craftsmanship of the Stinson Reliant was second to none, after the war, it never returned.

Not that I could ever afford one, but:

Vt67754.jpg

Oh!

My all-time fave, as well.

There's one on the field here, and I'm told I might some day score a ride.

I have to go with a simple Piper Tripacer. I have not flown many planes but this is a do all for me.

The RV-10 that is sitting in my back yard hangar.

However, I've always had eyes for v-tail Bo's. My neighbor took off in his a couple of hours ago, returned to do a low pass and landed on our little grass strip. Hard to imagine a design over 50 years old still looks so darn good whether in the air or sitting still. A classic for sure.

Why that one - of course :yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 111
Anything where I'm sitting in the PIC seat and airborne. :wink2:

Cheers

The RV-10 that is sitting in my back yard hangar.

However, I've always had eyes for v-tail Bo's. My neighbor took off in his a couple of hours ago, returned to do a low pass and landed on our little grass strip. Hard to imagine a design over 50 years old still looks so darn good whether in the air or sitting still. A classic for sure.

Just so I'm clear... You're "MauleDriver" and own an RV-10, but want a v-tail Bo, but have a glider as your avatar picture...

I like your style :yesnod::yes:

It would be a toss up between a P-51 Mustang or Corsair. I think they both are awesome. But since they both are unobtanium for me, I'll be happy flying my little Cherokee.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 8
Screw economy. I'd rather have a 727

Yes, the most beautiful passenger jet. But last time I looked they didn't use piston engines.

If I was super rich, a 74 would be my choice.

Back