Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
This.

Attachments

• 20160718_160801.jpg
    20160718_160801.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 265
tom ,i agree aircraft parts have outpaced other everyday costs by a large margin . however who would have thought you would be paying over 4 bucks for a pound of 20% fat ground beef?

Not just GA.

I was on an extended road trip last month when one of the front bearings on my GMC AWD pick-up packed it in. Managed to limp it in to a dealer after a drive through the mountains. Replacement hub was ~$395 and labour to install it another $110. Bearing is sealed and part of the AWD hub, so the whole assembly has to be replaced apparently. The bearing cannot be maintained by being disassembled and replaced or re-packed as in the "good ol' days" (or as we can still do on our airplanes).

And GM churns out a lot more pick-ups like mine than Piper + Cessna + Cirrus + Mooney + all the others combined today.

If that's the price for the pads and the hardware, I don't think that is too bad. A good set of pads and hardware for your new f150 will be about 100 bucks. However, I sw a post on Facebook yesterday where someone was replacing the fuel selector shaft on their 182, about 12" long square shaft with u-joints on each end, similar to a lower steering shaft on your moms Crown Victoria. The CV part from Ford is about 200, the shaft from Cessna was 8k!! That will kill GA.

The Cleveland wants $5 a bolt for #14, the standard AN part # is under $0.50 each.

The bleeder screw and seat are about $20 each. The plastic/rubber cap is $4 each.

Yup, thanks your friendly Feds for that, but don't worry it's for "saftey" and "the children" and stuff.

That same part, made to the same quality shouldn't be half the price.

Rapco PMA brake pads are cheaper... And standard AN bolts are too... Can't do much about the parts that actually are made by the OEM though, sorry!

All the well known regulatory record keeping and documentation factors aside, I think it's what happens when there is very limited competition. You might get them cheaper and slower from a vendor that maintains no inventory and drop shops everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was astounded when a shop quoted me only $19.25 for an airplane part a few days ago. I didn't know anything like that still existed!

I was astounded when a shop quoted me only $19.25 for an airplane part a few days ago. I didn't know anything like that still existed!

So you bought a lightbulb too? ;)

(That's what the beacon bulb ran for the 182. Haha.)

Only $7 above a bad meal at McD's. LOL.

So you bought a lightbulb too? ;)

(That's what the beacon bulb ran for the 182. Haha.)

Only $7 above a bad meal at McD's. LOL.
Actually, it was the "propeller spinner forward bulkhead." It sounds expensive, but it wasn't.

Rapco PMA brake pads are cheaper... And standard AN bolts are too... Can't do much about the parts that actually are made by the OEM though, sorry!

The problem is, Cleveland is buying them from the same company that the big three buy them from at .04 a pop and charging 20 bucks to put FAA-Pma on them. It's one thing for a part they make 10 of a year, it another when it's something they buy from a supplier that also sells the same part to different industries by the millions for pennies.

Bob

Back