what's this number?

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
What's this number for? (highlight in red)

https://imgur.com/a/jCt5eKw
Ajsf4fG

That would be the total number of miles between NAVAIDs on the airway.

That would be the total number of miles between NAVAIDs on the airway.
Didn't know that! o_O
Why do I need to know how many miles to NAVIDs and in which direction?

The best part of sectionals is the legend, it explains pretty much everything if you look close enough. Perfectly ok to use this during the practical as a "cheat sheet".

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.16.46 PM.png

Didn't know that! o_O

It's an aid to flight planning if you plan to follow airways - you wouldn't need to measure each individual segment, you could just add up the numbers.

Not that useful anymore, though. But in the days of paper sectionals and plotters, it could help a little.

Here's a more useful number on sectionals you may never notice if not pointed out.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.28.53 PM.png

At a quick glance you can use this number to see that you need to stay above 1700 to avoid the 1500+ foot tower if you fly through this area.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.29.35 PM.png

Yes, if it's a man-made obstacle, you add 100' (for reporting error) and round up to the next 100.
If it's terrain, there's a 300' aggregate pad and then the round up.

Didn't know that! o_O
So you can answer when asked on your checkride :D

seriously, there are a number of reasons. Remember the world is not only about GPS. So, among other things, it is an aid to situational awareness. And since VORs have a service volume, it will help explain why you are losing the signal from one and should be switching to the VOR at the other end,

Last edited:
Back