What's the best...

Hughes Sky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stoic
For those of you that get aviation related periodicals, which one do you think is best? Plane & Pilot, AOPA Flight Training, etc...

I get more out of online sources than I do magazines. Plane & Pilot is tolerable, but if you subscribe for more than a year, you see how they recycle themes, February is bargain airplane month, April is learn to fly month, etc.

most of the magazines recycle heavily. i barely skim through AOPA anymore. I look much more forward to the monthly Soaring magazine and quarterly Bungee Cords (Vintage Sailplane Association).

The EAA magazine. Just went through a considerable upgrade, and there's always a new experimental or antique.

Sport Aerobatics, the EAA/IAC magazine. My next favorite is the Smithsonian Air & Space magazine. AOPA Pilot, Flying, IFR, AOPA Flight Training, and AutoPilot are all showing up at my house periodically.

I stopped subscribing to a lot of the plane mags because after a year or so they just recycle stuff as John noted above.

I get Sport Pilot, AOPA, and Soaring as I am a member of each group. I tend to skim very lightly Sport Pilot, AOPA I read a few things and look at the center fold, like Tony I enjoy the Soaring magazine. While I am not an avid glider pilot in the least I enjoy the articles that talk about FLYING! Something those other magazines seem to forget about.

There is one magazine that I have not mentioned that I also like, Pilot Getaways. Gives lots of good travel ideas.

As I continue to declutter and reduce my life complexities I am thinking of dropping my AOPA and EAA memberships. I don't seem to get much for them for the amount I pay in dues and I really don't read the magazines either. That money saved can be used for 1 hour of flying a year.

I do all my reading on line the last couple years. The AOPA rag gets dropped off at the FBO each month.

For those of you that get aviation related periodicals, which one do you think is best? Plane & Pilot, AOPA Flight Training, etc...

IFR magazine is the top on my list, which reminds me I need to renew my subscription.

I do also get AOPA Pilot and EAA Sport pilot only because I am member at both places.

One of the better ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Aviation Safety.

Sport Aerobatics, the EAA/IAC magazine. My next favorite is the Smithsonian Air & Space magazine. AOPA Pilot, Flying, IFR, AOPA Flight Training, and AutoPilot are all showing up at my house periodically.

Not sure if you were intending to be 'punny', but that was well played!! :thumbsup:

Belvoir must be slipping if you need to be *reminded* to renew!!

Isn't that the truth! Hell, they send out renewal notices on a one year subscription eleven months in advance!

Wells

I like Aviation consumer.

Plane & Pilot has too many !!!! on the cover. I read it, but I find the cover treatments tiresome, and Bill Cox terribly narcissistic. That being said i'll read anything about airplanes so I won't cancel my subscription!!

As I continue to declutter and reduce my life complexities I am thinking of dropping my AOPA and EAA memberships. I don't seem to get much for them for the amount I pay in dues and I really don't read the magazines either. That money saved can be used for 1 hour of flying a year.

I thought the one reason for joining AOPA or EAA was not for the magazines, but for the representation as a lobbying group. The way things have been going, GA could use all the help it gets.

I like EAA's Sport Aviation. My Dad gets it and I enjoy looking at it when I visit. The first page I turn to is the completions page for all the homebuilts...each a small victory in someone's game of life.

Since I've just started my training, I'm trying to decide between AOPA or EAA. I'll probably go with AOPA this year to get their training magazine and hit up EAA after that.

I thought the one reason for joining AOPA or EAA was not for the magazines, but for the representation as a lobbying group. The way things have been going, GA could use all the help it gets.

I like EAA's Sport Aviation. My Dad gets it and I enjoy looking at it when I visit. The first page I turn to is the completions page for all the homebuilts...each a small victory in someone's game of life.

Since I've just started my training, I'm trying to decide between AOPA or EAA. I'll probably go with AOPA this year to get their training magazine and hit up EAA after that.
Welcome to PoA. Hope we stay high on your list of aviation sources.

:D

YOU think that, and I think that, but there are a few people who don't feel the same way about AOPA. I think I hear that can of worms reopening....
:incazzato:

I just recently renewed my subscription to the Smithsonian Air & Space magazine and got my first issue. It's a really excellent publication with very little advertising that is produced 5 - 6 times a year. The June/July issue has nice articles on an aircraft designed to fly in the atmosphere of Saturn's moon, Titan; the story of the A-26 as it was used in Vietnam; Dale "Snort" Snodgrass and his experiences with the F-14; the retirement of the F15; and a nice retrospective on the Space Shuttle as it's ready to soon fly it's last mission.

I highly recommend it and it's for a worthwhile cause as well.

Welcome to flying and PoA. Though you may be on a small budget, you could always join both! They both have something to offer. AOPA has a definite national, big iron focus. They seem ignore us small GA except for their "Let's go Flying" program which doesn't get much mention. EAA is very much small GA and homebuilt. There's local chapters, each with their own focus. They also support a wide variety of interests. And Young Eagles is a special program.

Last edited:
I read GAN, Pacific Flyer, and AeroNews. P&P is the absolute worst--even dangerous--closely followed by Smithsonian Air & Space. The latter is so full of errors that each month they have a column of corrections.

I read GAN, Pacific Flyer, and AeroNews. P&P is the absolute worst--even dangerous--closely followed by Smithsonian Air & Space. The latter is so full of errors that each month they have a column of corrections.
What is the Smithsonian saying that is so wrong that they need to correct so many errors?

I like P&P and Flying, but if I had to choose, probs P&P.

"I learned about flying from that" and the Dick Karl articles in Flying are pretty good though

What is the Smithsonian saying that is so wrong that they need to correct so many errors?
Mostly about who flew what on which dates and in which theater of operations. Include development and testing, and line operations in that assessment.

I get more out of online sources than I do magazines. Plane & Pilot is tolerable, but if you subscribe for more than a year, you see how they recycle themes, February is bargain airplane month, April is learn to fly month, etc.

You forget that there is a constant supply of new students who might not have seen last year's issue. How often do subjects pop up in this forum that have been done to death several times over the years, like slips with flaps. Fresh crop of people with the same old questions.

Bob Gardner

At least when I write an article *I* try to refrain from recycled material...

You're a special case. You're a special special case because you make your past articles available on your web page for all to review.

The folks who write for Flying, P&P, Flight Training, AOPA Pilot, etc are going to come up with preparation for winter flying articles, "beware of thunderstorms" articles, flying at night articles, etc etc etc each and every year because there are always new eyes scanning their pages.

Bob Gardner

AOPA Pilot and my wife just got me a gift subscription to a UK aviation history mag called Aeroplane which I'm enjoying.

It will be interesting to see what changes and what stays the same in Flying with the change in leadership. Michael Maya Charles is the new EiC.

Back