What's the best way to seal off the vacuum system?

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
G5 install. HSI later so this will be a non player soon. However, I still have half the vacuum system up and running and would like to know how others have sealed off the lines that aren't needed anymore such as one of these.

RAPCO-FILTER.jpg

My plan is to take a short length of tubing, plug one end up with a short piece of either rubber or plastic rod, wood may actually work using silicone. Then slip the open end over the nipple and clamp. How'd you guys do it?

By the way, I was amazed at what I didn't know about the G5 based on simply looking at the picture. It has an AOA, albeit not a blue donut but red arrows if you get too steep either way. It will talk to my VAL ILS and present localizer and glideslope guidance. Only problem is that I can't change the course through the VAL anymore unless there's a provision for that in the VAL. That's just what I learned so far.

Last edited:
Automotively: Rubber hose with a bolt stuck in the end of it. Zip tie and RTV optional.

They also make rubber caps you can buy at Autozone or NAPA.

By the way, I was amazed at what I didn't know about the G5 based on simply looking at the picture. It has an AOA, albeit not a blue donut but red arrows if you get too steep either way.

Are you talking about the pitch warning chevrons? If so, that's not an AoA.

Your local Hardware store has caps and plugs.

Yep. As soon as I get off work I'm going to the Aircraft Components Emporium store.

Whatever you want to call it, I didn't know it was there.
Yeah, they are on other Garmin electronic AI products (G1000, G300, etc) too. Kind of freaky when doing unusual attitude recovery under the hood with a DPE if it's your first time seeing it. However, it is rather useful if you stay calm. But it is important to note that it's not AoA information. Ever had a CFI instruct you that an airplane can stall at any attitude and any airspeed? It is possible to get the low pitch warning chevrons at high AoA.

After a visit to my local Aircraft Components Emporium I picked up some rubber caps. Oddly enough they are called vacuum caps.

Oddly enough they are called vacuum caps.
What's odd about that?
Back in the days when men were men, and cars had carburetors like NASCAR God intended, vacuum hoses were all over the place. I used to get the hose by the 50' reel.

I was odd because I searched Spruce for hose caps, hose plugs, etc with no luck. I needed something to cap off my vacuum system and that's exactly what they were called. Go figure.

What's odd about that?
Back in the days when men were men, and cars had carburetors like NASCAR God intended, vacuum hoses were all over the place. I used to get the hose by the 50' reel.

Still got an old Jeep that's plumbed like that. Runs great with the occasional ten year old 100LL mixed in.

By the way, I was amazed at what I didn't know about the G5 based on simply looking at the picture. It has an AOA, albeit not a blue donut but red arrows if you get too steep either way. It will talk to my VAL ILS and present localizer and glideslope guidance. Only problem is that I can't change the course through the VAL anymore unless there's a provision for that in the VAL. That's just what I learned so far.

its not an AOA as far as i know, G1000 has the same red Cheveron. i believe its over 30* pitch up and same (or 25*) pitch down. you can easily stall below that range

its not an AOA as far as i know, G1000 has the same red Cheveron. i believe its over 30* pitch up and same (or 25*) pitch down. you can easily stall below that range

thanks man, never heard that before.

Back