What's the best instrument ground school self-study program?

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
I know there will be several opinions, but I'm hoping to find a couple of programs that are recommended more than others. In everyone's opinion which instrument self-study ground school program is the best? Sporty's? King? MzeroA? Cessna? Gliem? Or??? Thanks!

King or Gleim.

I've heard MzeroA is a great program but it's a little pricey.

Sheppard Air.
Con - Very old interface
Pro - very good results, support, and price.

For drill-and-kill, Gleim gives the best deal on testing as they have the best image viewer there which makes it a lot more convenient than having to have the supplement book out.

I was turned off by Gleim's online terms of service. Maybe it's changed, but the way I read the rules, you only had a couple of chances to take the practice tests, then you had to call them to explain why you should be given additional attempts, and access expires after... a year?

Contrast with King (which is who I ended up going with, plus Dauntless on the phone), which is lifetime access.

The answer is, it depends.

Is the goal drilling for the knowledge test? You don't have to spend a lot. Gleim, ASA, the cheaper Sportys and King courses, and a bunch of others.

Or, is the goal something that also integrates with your flight training? Both the Sport's and King courses include a flight training syllabus. It was meant for Part 141 but using it, even loosely, in a Part 61 environment means having the ability to preview a flight lesson and review it again later. It can really enhance learning, especially for those who can't take lessons as often as is optimal.

I've used the Sporty's course and like it. I have not used any of the others.

Strictly for passing the written...sheppardair study just like they say and in a week you will be ready.

I was turned off by Gleim's online terms of service. Maybe it's changed, but the way I read the rules, you only had a couple of chances to take the practice tests, then you had to call them to explain why you should be given additional attempts, and access expires after... a year?
Eh? You can drill and kill against the practice pools all you want. The downside admittedly is that you only have a year to complete the thing.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge....I used Gleim, liked it a lot, I'm sure others have used different programs that they liked and had success with. Gleim will give you access for a year, which should be plenty of time. I found the format was extremely close to the real thing, no complaints here. I felt Gleim was more than sufficient, but like others have suggested, plenty of options.

Back