What's the best all metal tail wheel

I've never met any pilots that said "gee, I wish I'd have got a 170 instead of this 180."

But I've met one or two who've said the opposite.

I took a Mooney guy for a ride in mine today. He's shopping for more room and utility and thinks he wants a 180 . His verbal expression when we bolted off the pavement with no flaps was priceless. :wink2:

I could get in way over my head building a Fokker triplane or a Nieuport in my garage... Not as expensive as you'd think for the kits and if their time estimates are close to accurate it's not that much work either. Where do you get the engine from though :idea:

Rotec?

They are like $13-19k depending on the 7 jug 100hp, or 9 150hp version

http://www.rotecradialengines.com

R2800Large.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't a swift an experimental?

It depends on which one. the origional 85hp model isn't, but the one with the IO360 and all the speed mods that can be had might well be.
They both fly about the same speed btw. :D

Ya know the swift is a cool airplane. Looks really cool at first glance, but the longer I look at it the uglier and more wrong it looks.

It depends on which one. the origional 85hp model isn't, but the one with the IO360 and all the speed mods that can be had might well be.

Nope. That is an STC engine conversion. Most the other popular stuff is also STC. The stock Swift is about 30+ knots slower than one with big engine and most he popular mods.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Ya know the swift is a cool airplane. Looks really cool at first glance, but the longer I look at it the uglier and more wrong it looks.

You've never flown one, I can tell. :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Any aircraft that was certified under a type certificate, will remain a certified aircraft and must be altered by Field approval or STC.

If they are taken into the EXP category they must be "R" thus no pax during this period.

You've never flown one, I can tell. :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Id love to fly one, I love the art deco look and retroness about them. If I recall they are aerobatic as well.

Rotec?

R2800Large.jpg

There's a guy building a RV-8 with a Rotec Radial in one mag I get. It looks really neat.

I just had a vision of a Glasair Sportsman with one maybe.... :idea:

9346d1291147482-2011-glasair-sportsman-2-2-stormy-sportsman.jpg

I need six-pack papa Charlie to photoshop a radial on there .... :lol:

Last edited:
More I look at videos
Of the swift the more I like it.

Keep in mind they were built in a time when pilots were 5'7" and 170#s, the cabin is really small. the OEM seat is very uncomfortable, most now have C150 seats.

But they fly great and are pretty fast on low power.
Many have the 0-300 145 horse. some have the IO-360- 220 horse they are really nose heavy.

Keep in mind they were built in a time when pilots were 5'7" and 170#s, the cabin is really small. the OEM seat is very uncomfortable, most now have C150 seats.

But they fly great and are pretty fast on low power.
Many have the 0-300 145 horse. some have the IO-360- 220 horse they are really nose heavy.

Well I'm 5"8' 160 so I should be ok :) thank you.

Rotec?

R2800Large.jpg
The best ones are the Rotec powered ones. They tend to be the full scale and sell for more.

Most of the 3/4 scale replicas are either VW powered or Rotax. You can find them in the $10-12k price range.

Nope. That is an STC engine conversion. Most the other popular stuff is also STC. The stock Swift is about 30+ knots slower than one with big engine and most he popular mods.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

I remember a fellow who owned two swifts. The first had the small engine. It was a barking dog, slow and boring. He got rid of it and purchased a very good looking one with much higher horsepower and claimed it was a lot of fun and a good performer. A recent rans courier is a great airplane but not at all cheap. More like 60 grand or more. A Luscombe F model in very nice restored condition is a real fun airplane. Will get out of a short strip and is an excellent aircraft to build time in. Easy to fly and good looking. Whatever you decide, get a hangar first. Leaving a nice airplane outside is called diminishing returns.

I remember a fellow who owned two swifts. The first had the small engine. It was a barking dog, slow and boring. He got rid of it and purchased a very good looking one with much higher horsepower and claimed it was a lot of fun and a good performer. A recent rans courier is a great airplane but not at all cheap. More like 60 grand or more. A Luscombe F model in very nice restored condition is a real fun airplane. Will get out of a short strip and is an excellent aircraft to build time in. Easy to fly and good looking. Whatever you decide, get a hangar first. Leaving a nice airplane outside is called diminishing returns.

Speed is to the viewer's opinion.
They are a hell of a lot faster than a PA-1? on the same power.

Back