What's the best airport in Denver to get to downtown/GA friendly?

jasont

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JasonT
Heading to Denver in 2 weeks. What's the best place to land? Will need a rental car for a few days and will be at the convention center.

Thanks!

Either KBJC Rocky Mountain Metro formerly known as Jeffco NW of downtown or KAPA Centennial south of downtown near the tech center.

What @ejensen said. BJC is quite a bit calmer than APA if that matters. Though I see you are probably coming from Texas, so KAPA would be a slightly shorter flight.

I'd suggest KBJC if you want close and slower paced that KAPA. If you don't mind a bit of a drive - you could look at KFTG. Super friendly crew and relaxed tower - it does tuck up next to and under the Class B so awareness is key.

Dean

APA looks good. DEN pace is fine if their gas wasn't $7.00. Going to head to TAC air and catch an uber downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Heading to Denver in 2 weeks. What's the best place to land? Will need a rental car for a few days and will be at the convention center.

Thanks!
Hmm.. sounds like a volleyball tournament to me. Been there, done that. We used APA a couple of years ago - it was convenient, but definitely a little crazy getting in and out.

Hmm.. sounds like a volleyball tournament to me. Been there, done that. We used APA a couple of years ago - it was convenient, but definitely a little crazy getting in and out.

Yep. Denver first, then Spokane, WA and Chicago last. Wife was a two time all-american in college and started a club volleyball organization and coaches the national 17's team.

I'd suggest KBJC if you want close and slower paced that KAPA. If you don't mind a bit of a drive - you could look at KFTG. Super friendly crew and relaxed tower - it does tuck up next to and under the Class B so awareness is key.

Dean
to be honest, FTG to downtown isn't that bad. Not good idea for uber but if you rent a car, not a problem.

Thanks!

Rush hour? None of them. :)

Any other time of day while daylight? Flip a coin.

After dark? I'd go APA. Two FBOs open at night. Don't know BJC's FBO hours, but the tower closes. APA is mildly better for 24/7 late arrivals.

You could land at happy butt. :D

LOL. Last I heard, happy butt isn't so happy. :)

to be honest, FTG to downtown isn't that bad. Not good idea for uber but if you rent a car, not a problem.

This isn't a bad idea as long as the FBO is open. After hours the place is deserted. Maybe they have a way to get rental car keys after hours though. Their self serve is also likely the cheapest gas you'll find in the metro. Very dark out there at night. I-70 into downtown isn't bad at all and often a lot better than either of the I-25 routes the other two mandate.

PS if you have time, we could always find an excuse to get the CO contingent together for dinner or something while you're here.

PS if you have time, we could always find an excuse to get the CO contingent together for dinner or something while you're here.
Only if @Everskyward picks me up in a jet.

Btw, if I were flying back to Denver, I can't imagine using anything but Centennial. 15 easy miles to downtown, easy access, a multitude of restaurants and hotels nearby (including on-airport), great ATC staff and GA-only. The choice would be more about which of the three FBOs to use and, for light GA I would definitely choose TAC Air.

Yeah, for downtown access I would probably steer you to Centennial, even though I'm out of Jeff-uh-Metro up North. For north part of Denver access, day or evening arrival, BJC gets my nod.

Yep. Denver first, then Spokane, WA and Chicago last. Wife was a two time all-american in college and started a club volleyball organization and coaches the national 17's team.
Which club Jason? We are from Houston area and will be in Austin in a couple of weeks for Tour of Texas.

Kenton-KAPA.png
Only if @Everskyward picks me up in a jet.

Btw, if I were flying back to Denver, I can't imagine using anything but Centennial. 15 easy miles to downtown, easy access, a multitude of restaurants and hotels nearby (including on-airport), great ATC staff and GA-only. The choice would be more about which of the three FBOs to use and, for light GA I would definitely choose TAC Air.
I probably should mention I am slightly biased :D

View attachment 51753
I probably should mention I am slightly biased :D

I'll be danged. You lived a couple of blocks from one of my co-owners. I was on the other side of I-25 on Arapahoe. Two blocks south.

When I had the LiveATC streamer, we should have moved it to your place for better ground coverage. LOL. :)

Of course, stuff changes... we all miss ya, I live on the prairie now and couldn't stream LiveATC for APA, and we are meeting Thursday to discuss losing one of the co-owners (not the one who lived near you)...

I'll be danged. You lived a couple of blocks from one of my co-owners. I was on the other side of I-25 on Arapahoe. Two blocks south.

When I had the LiveATC streamer, we should have moved it to your place for better ground coverage. LOL. :)

Of course, stuff changes... we all miss ya, I live on the prairie now and couldn't stream LiveATC for APA, and we are meeting Thursday to discuss losing one of the co-owners (not the one who lived near you)...
I once did a long extension of a right downing to 17R. I didn't slow down like I usually do and ATC came on to warn me about making too much noise over the residential neighborhood. I replied, "Don't worry, I'm over my house." I use to give it as a marker for pilots - had a windsock in the backyard :D

I don't know our schedule yet, but I am up for that. Should know early next week.

Which club Jason? We are from Houston area and will be in Austin in a couple of weeks for Tour of Texas.

Country Fire Volleyball out of Liberty Hill, Texas. What club are y'all with? Did you qualify for the tour or playing Cross Court?

I don't know our schedule yet, but I am up for that. Should know early next week.

Country Fire Volleyball out of Liberty Hill, Texas. What club are y'all with? Did you qualify for the tour or playing Cross Court?
We are with Woodlands Revolution Volleyball Club. Our oldest played club for four years and now our youngest (now 12) has played for 2. Our club qualified 2, 12 year old teams for the tour and my daughter is on the second team.

Landed at KApa yesterday. Super easy to get into and fairly busy. Kept the plane at Tac air and caught an uber downtown. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Looks like the schedule is a little crazy and unpredictable so I probably won't be able to plan a meetup, but thanks for the hospitality.

Jason

Back