What's Most Efficient Way to do this?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Assuming you're flying behind a G1000:

You've loaded your flight plan, and have just departed using GPS as your primary navigation source. As you switch to Departure, before you are allowed to start tracking your flight plan, they'll be vectors for the climb. So, you follow those vectors.

Now, I will also have tuned in local VORs, especially if there is one on the airport. I understand some pilots don't bother, but here is where it might come in handy. Departure says "for now, join the 050 radial off the XYZ VOR." In this case, I ensure the CDI is also displaying the green needle for that VOR, and I can join the radial that way.

Now, here I have two choices: 1) I can display GPS and the green needle, but I believe I won't be able to twist the HSI since primary nav is GPS, or 2) I can display only the green needle for the VOR, and be able to twist.

What I would choose is simply to display both, and just join the radial. Once accomplishing that, the green needle will be pointing up. When the controller lets me resume own nav, I just go back to magenta.

Now, that's how I would do this; but I'm interested to see how YOU would. Maybe you have a more efficient way!

Is the engine missing? :rofl:

Direct to, push AP after ATC says; "On course heading" , dial in altitude, enjoy the ride. :D

Last edited:
I would navigate the radial using the GPS alone. If I was bored or had some reason to doubt the GPS I would throw a bearing pointer up to confirm.

I never take off with green data unless I absolutely have to. I don't even put raw data up to fly a VOR approach. I fly the GPS overlay and show a pointer to back it up. Same with NDB. At no time does the planes autopilot navigate a ground based nav aid unless the GPS is broken.

I would navigate the radial using the GPS alone. If I was bored or had some reason to doubt the GPS I would throw a bearing pointer up to confirm.

I never take off with green data unless I absolutely have to. I don't even put raw data up to fly a VOR approach. I fly the GPS overlay and show a pointer to back it up. Same with NDB. At no time does the planes autopilot navigate a ground based nav aid unless the GPS is broken.

Interesting. What sort of panel do you have in the cockpit?

Collins Proline 21.

Now, here I have two choices: 1) I can display GPS and the green needle, but I believe I won't be able to twist the HSI since primary nav is GPS, or 2) I can display only the green needle for the VOR, and be able to twist.

What I would choose is simply to display both, and just join the radial. Once accomplishing that, the green needle will be pointing up. When the controller lets me resume own nav, I just go back to magenta.
How can you display both the green VOR and the magenta GPS on the HSI at the same time? You only get one at a time. If you display the green VOR on the HSI, you can twist it to your heart's content and navigate any course to/from that VOR you choose while the programmed route is still displayed on the MFD. If you display the magenta GPS, you cannot twist it unless you hit the OBS button, but then you'll lose the route from the MFD.

How can you display both the green VOR and the magenta GPS on the HSI at the same time?
By setting up the second (or even third) CDI on the display, as in this depiction:

wish2.jpg

Last edited:
He can display the blue RMI VOR needles while in GPS, but he cannot display the green VOR CDI or twist the VOR course without switching the CDI off GPS.

He can display the blue RMI VOR needles while in GPS, but he cannot display the green VOR CDI or twist the VOR course without switching the CDI off GPS.

Right, the needles are blue. I can display them while on GPS, and I did note that I didn't think I could do any twisting while on GPS.

So having established that, I guess my method still seems the most economical, unless I go with Captain's and just not bother with VOR data.

Back