What's in your plane bag?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
I've been reading a few posts elsewhere about flight bags and what people bring, thought I'd ask the owners, as it's a little different, what they keep in their plane survival/mx/tie down etc wise.

For mine I have a small duffle bag with
Tiedown lines
Utility pump (amphib plane)
121.5/406 GPS EPIRB
Paracord
Spare headset
Qt of oil
Couple microfiber cloths
Fuel stick and a fuel sumper
Spare main and front inner tube
Machete (mostly for cat weeds)
Couple thermal space blankets
Multi trauma dressing
Lifestraw bottle
Elastic bandage roll
CAT tourniquet
Quickclot gauze
SAM splint
Trauma shears
Couple bic lighters
Couple MREs

Thought I'd compare and see if there's anything I'm missing, all in it's 17lbs.

Last edited:
Quart of oil
funnel
GATS tube
Small tool kit
duct tape
first aid kit
Leatherman
microfiber rags
Sig 9mm with extra ammo
Piddle packs
Extra headset
portable radio
extra batteries
10 day supply of some sort of compressed food
aluminum foil blanket
fire starter doohicky

Last edited:
I keep a bag full of various tools in the nose. Couple sets of wrenches (small and large), safety wire and pliers, needle nose pliers, wire snips, vice grips, an assortment of screwdrivers, spark plug socket, wire cutters, an assortment of screws, nuts and bolts, some hookup wire and terminals, a crimper, and a bunch of other random tools that have found their way into that bag. No clue what it weighs, it lives in the nose. I also carry a portable tow bar, a set of chocks, a step stool (fueling and checking oil), extra oil, cleaning supplies (quick detailer, towels, windshield cleaner, wet wipes), and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

I have a very similar set-up to yours @James331 but I have them all in separate small tool bags so I can mix and match depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing to keep weight down.
Bag 1:
1qt of oil
funnel
microfiber
PlanePerfect eyes outside
High-quality leatherman multi-tool

Bag 2:
Trauma kit
121.5/406PLB
Flares
MREs (or equivalent)
misc survival gear (emergency blanket, fire starting etc)
Fix-a-flat

Bag 3:
On airport tiedowns (thick 5/8" nylon rope)

Bag 4:
Off airport tiedowns

Bag 5:
Manually inflating life vests
Flotation device
Water rescue equipment

Bag 6:
Bruce's cover for the plane

Bag 7:
Sun shade

Item 8:
Small 2-step ladder for oil & fuel in a pinch

Item 9:
Winchester SXP Turkey 12ga + multiple types of ammo.

This way I can very quickly and easily grab what I need and go. Some of the bags stay in the plane all the time unless I'm going to/from Mx.

Last edited:
I have a very similar set-up to yours @James331 but I have them all in separate small tool bags so I can mix and match depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing to keep weight down.
Bag 1:
1qt of oil
funnel
microfiber

Bag 2:
Trauma kit
121.5/406PLB
Flares
MREs (or equivalent)
Fix-a-flat

Bag 3:

Bag 4:
Off airport tiedowns

Bag 5:
Flotation device
Water rescue equipment

Bag 6:

Bag 7:
Sun shade

Item 8:

Item 9:

This way I can very quickly and easily grab what I need and go. Some of the bags stay in the plane all the time unless I'm going to/from Mx.

I like your system, but damn that is a lot of bags!

The benefit to it over a big bag is its waaaay easier to get to things you need. I'd rather not bury my trauma equipment under stuff I use all the time, but at the same time I don't want to dig past it every time I want to clean the windscreen. The ones I don't use just sit in the hangar right across from my baggage door, well except the shotgun.

I bring my ipad... I suppose if I go down I better do it good so I don't lay there and suffer wishing I had come as prepared as you guys haha.

Blow up doll, and electric pump.

Bag 1:
1qt of oil
funnel
microfiber

Bag 2:
Trauma kit
121.5/406PLB
Flares
MREs (or equivalent)
Fix-a-flat

Bag 3:

Bag 4:
Off airport tiedowns

Bag 5:
Flotation device
Water rescue equipment

Bag 6:

Bag 7:
Sun shade

Item 8:

Item 9:

Paper or plastic? :D

Just my iPad loaded with a few movies that I can watch after switching on the autopilot.

FAA: This comment was made in jest. See Wikipedia under joke, humor, satire. I have never engaged in said behavior in the past, nor do I plan to in the future. Additionally, some unknown person or entity hacked my account and posted this comment.

Last edited:
Myself, headset, steno pad (for scaring students thinking I’m writing negative comments on their flying).

Bag 1 - actually a plastic case always in the baggage area
2 qts oil, small tool kit, paper towels, work gloves, gadget for towing (with the cherokee, most towbars don't work). There's either a 4 gal or 8 gal tank of water in the baggage area for W&B. Also have a fleece blanket and an old USAF oversized, rain jacket with hood in 2 separate bags. Can't forget the wheel chocks!

Bag 2 - always handy and next to me or in my pocket or on the yoke: ACR ReqsQ Link PLB, high-end Leatherman, $5 in quarters, hand-held radio, iPad, cell phone, small solar panel/charger that works with the electronics

Bag 3 - emergency backpack - stuff if landing off-field or unexpectedly
paracord, 1/2 in climbing cord, couple carabiners (real ones), flashlight, couple bottles of water, munchies, spare batteries, candles and matches (regular and waterproof), fire starter (dryer lint packed inside empty toilet paper rolls), electrical tape, battery strobe, 5 mil plastic, foil blanket, deck of cards, bunch of ziplock bags, medical kit, aluminum quart can for cooking/heating water, hot chocolate mix, hot soup mix, add-hot-water camp food, my Dad's 9 in blade hunting knife, compass, extra hat, sweatshirt, gloves, Lifestraw & bottle, clean underwear and toothbrush.

Bag 4 - tie-down kit

Bag 5 - camping gear: tent, canopy, tarp, 5 gal Home Depot bucket, camp chair, window shades

Like Mtn2Skies, it's mix & match. #1 and #2 are always there. #3 & #4 if I'm traveling but not camping, everything if traveling and camping. Every 6 months or so I go thru #1 & 3, replacing all the batteries and checking that everything is still needed, replacing whatever. I like the backpack for the real emergency gear - I need to hike away from the airplane, much easier with the backpack.

FAA: this comment was made in jest. See Wikipedia under joke, humor, satire. I have never engaged in said behavior in the past, nor do I plan to in the future. Additionally, some unknown person or entity hacked my account and posted this comment.
we should make this a standard signature for ALL POA posts. may be mods can automate this

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Fix-a-flat

Has Fix-a-flat been proven to work on aircraft tires? It certainly seems like an easier solution for getting out of remote fields than lugging around new tubes, tires, jack and a compressor. I know it's not a long term fix, but at least it gets you home. Even a field installation of new tube and tire may warrant removal back at the home field for proper balancing.

Has Fix-a-flat been proven to work on aircraft tires? It certainly seems like an easier solution for getting out of remote fields than lugging around new tubes, tires, jack and a compressor. I know it's not a long term fix, but at least it gets you home. Even a field installation of new tube and tire may warrant removal back at the home field for proper balancing.
Yep exactly that. I've heard it ruins the tube, but it's ruined anyway and I'd be happy if it got me home.

I use one of those trunk organizers in my cargo compartment. It has toolkit, qt oil, tie downs, spare headset, roll of paper towels, blanket from a commercial flight and fuel tap and tank dipper. Next to it is a step stool since my plane does not have struts. I keep my survival kit in my Igloo cooler backpack in the seat next to me or between seats.

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.
Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Back