What's a guy to do... Plans cancelled by airport.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Had flights planned today and tomorrow.
Weather is perfect.

I get a video text from someone on my hangar row.

"If you are planning on flying this weekend skip it. They decided to pave the taxiway in front of our hangars. Wet cement and barricades. 2-3 Days before we can roll out of our hangars"

No head's up or notice of any kind.

One of the hard parts of flying is all the variables of which you have no control that can change your plans for you :(

We lost a couple of weeks of weekends and evenings due to a movie shoot.

Nothing like paying for hangar rent, but not being allowed on airport property because someone else waived more $$ under the airport authority's nose...

Had flights planned today and tomorrow.
Weather is perfect.

I get a video text from someone on my hangar row.

"If you are planning on flying this weekend skip it. They decided to pave the taxiway in front of our hangars. Wet cement and barricades. 2-3 Days before we can roll out of our hangars"

No head's up or notice of any kind.

One of the hard parts of flying is all the variables of which you have no control that can change your plans for you :(
On the other hand, it's nice that they are apparently keeping up the taxiways. Some places it's pretty bad. Maybe someone had to do a prop repair and complained...

When they repainted and repaired the hangars at my local airport, they gave us plenty of notice. They also, upon request, moved our planes out to the ramp while the hangars were down, and refunded the applicable rental fees.

The guy I rent from owns four or five rows of hangers and a portion of the airport so he does a lot of things on a whim.

The hangers are very cheap though so I guess this is part of compromise

The parallel taxiway at KGYR is being renovated to handle the heavy jets that are stored/maintained here. Each of the last two weekends the entire airport has been closed for taxiway construction from Friday 9 PM to Tuesday 6 AM. Both weekends the City let the tenants know about the closures by e-mails the preceding Thursday at 11 am -- thus about 40 hours notice each time. I've had to cancel scheduled blood platelet flights on short notice each of the last two weekends because of it.

And the weather has been perfect.

I am peeved. :mad:

Plywood. Lots and lots of plywood

The guy I rent from owns four or five rows of hangers and a portion of the airport so he does a lot of things on a whim.

Is this GH or someone else?

So your beef is with your hangar landlord, not the airport.

If you knew the quantity and character of drama at the field in question, you'd know that it's all part of the ecosystem there.

That makes a little more sense. I know it isn't universal to all airports, but we usually bend over backwards to work with and accommodate users during construction. It isn't always perfect, but construction is a necessary evil to keep the infrastructure maintained.

Honestly can’t believe there wasn’t notice given. Guess they never heard of email.

What's the drama about, to those of us non-DFW metroplex dwellers.....

I'll trade you, I chipped ice for an hour only to barely get the hangar door shut again. Nice warm wet cement sounds so good right now. I think I'd get a lawn chair and a beer and watch it set up.

What's the drama about, to those of us non-DFW metroplex dwellers.....

You can get a lot of the story here: http://www.fly52f.org/ This is the owners association view of things. I think Mr. Hyde has information posted elsewhere.

Synopsis is that Mr. Hyde has some theory that he owns or has right of control over the airport. The airport owners association disputes that and has seemingly won the legal battle, pending yet more appeals.

[Note: His actual surname is Hyde, and I say Mr. to be polite]

Maybe they just needed to move quickly and use those FAA funds while the shutdown is on pause and the cash is available.

Make Airports Great Again.

Whoo boy, I would be hopping mad if someone trapped my airplane in the hangar. OK, I would be more than hopping mad.

Really? How much does he pay you to keep your plane in his hangar?

Seriously, if this kind of crap got pulled on me, I would think about moving the plane even if it had to be outside. No point in owning a plane if you can't fly it whenever you want.

If you knew the quantity and character of drama at the field in question, you'd know that it's all part of the ecosystem there.

Oh, man. And now I know where it is.

That's how bad the drama is at that airport, that I know about it even though I'm in WISCONSIN. Some people. SMH.

Too bad, as it sounds like a pretty cool airport otherwise. I've been there once, but only on the ground, a long time ago.

Definitely a bit inconsiderate on their part by not giving you any heads up. That would’ve been a rude awakening if you had just returned from a trip or something and couldn’t access your hangar. They re-paved one the airports around here back in the summer and it was closed for several weeks, but they gave plenty of notice so folks could move their planes somewhere else in the mean time.

My suspicion is that they were not informed because the tenants may have said "Great, I'll move my plane and you can pave the floor of my space while you're at it." [these are unpaved shade hangars]

Imagine the scope creep that would have caused.

After reading the court paper, it sounds like a place where I would be glad to have a concealed carry permit:cool:

Cheers

Maybe they just needed to move quickly and use those FAA funds while the shutdown is on pause and the cash is available.

Make Airports Great Again.
FYI- Actually AIP funds are from a separate pot of money (separate appropriation and authorization) so they were always available and won't be affected by another shutdown. That said, there was a two week lapse back in the summer of 2011 as a result of a confessional disagreement.

FYI- Actually AIP funds are from a separate pot of money (separate appropriation and authorization) so they were always available and won't be affected by another shutdown. That said, there was a two week lapse back in the summer of 2011 as a result of a confessional disagreement.

Thanks for the insight into AIP funds though my post was meant to be more in jest than any serious accounting of what happened at the airport under discussion.

I had a confessional disagreement once. The priest wanted me to sit on his lap and I didn’t want to.

By the way, I have a theory on airport nutcases...for one thing, there are so many of them; it seems like at least every airport has one (or a half a dozen).

I think it's the leaded gas. Absorb enough of it through your skin, and breath in the vapors, and next thing you know you're having fist fights on the taxiways.

Holy CRAP!

I’m going to take everything you’ve got. I’m going to run your ass off the airport. And when I’m done with you, your wife’s going to be giving blow jobs to n----- on Rosedale.” And immediately after the assault occurred, Hyde said, “The next time I see you, I’m going to kill you.”

Does seem prejudicial...

Back