What're those round dials for?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
In a Facebook discussion, a friend of mine commented he'd been running numbers on Citation 525s. I responded with a Controller link to a Lear 35, one of my favorite jets (albeit not single pilot, etc.), mostly joking. And then he responded (jokingly) "What're those round gauges for?" Here's what they're for:

Ted DuPuis said:
Those instruments are for men. Real men. Men who like to fly like it was done back in the day when men were men and women found a man who knew what all those dials meant attractive. And those gauges are for women, because we know that aviation prowess is not restricted to those with a Y chromosome (says the man married to the worlds greatest pilot).

Men (and women) who remember back in the day when hand flying an approach to minimums, in icing, at night, surrounded by thunderstorms, was something you did because you could and it was a badge of honor. You grit your teeth and shot the approach. When autopilots were tools, and it wasn't an emergency when one failed. When you filed /A and knew what a VOR was and how to track it. When noise abatement was about making as much noise as you could, and being proud of it. When children stood at the fences taking in the sweet smell of Jet A exhaust and saying "One day, I'll be a pilot" with the American flag fluttering in the background and Bill Lear saying "If they can't fly my damn airplane then they deserved to crash!"

That's what those instruments are for, my friend. They're for America. I'm not crying, that's just something in my eye.

Whoa whoa whoa... wasn't it you telling me to put G5's in instead of my round gauges?!

Reactions: Ted
Really? Thought I was the old basturd here!

You are... Read YOUR quote first person..... :idea:

In all reality, the DME arc was my nemesis on my check ride. In fact, I completely BSed my way through it and never understood it. Only because I shot the approach so many damn times trying to learn it, the repetition on my check ride saved the day. I couldn't do it today if I had to. I hated that effin ADF with a passion.

You are... Read YOUR quote first person..... :idea:

In all reality, the DME arc was my nemesis on my check ride. In fact, I completely BSed my way through it and never understood it. Only because I shot the approach so many damn times trying to learn it, the repetition on my check ride saved the day. I couldn't do it today if I had to. I hated that effin ADF with a passion.

I got pretty good on ADF because I was teaching instrument students. Probably would screw one up today. DME wasn’t bad, especially if you had DME.

Here is the sumbeech that I want to kill for making....

page189.jpg

Here is the sumbeech that I want to kill for making....

page189.jpg

Having flown into that airport a bunch that approach actually makes sense.

why are you going so slow?

Lessee, I'm at 9500 msl, so IAS is 19% low.

144 + 19% = 171 mph (149.5 KTAS)

According to this, I should have been making 163 mph True another 500' higher. Notice the OAT is 43°F vs Standard Temp of 23°F, reducing power available by 2%. But I'm still 8 mph above book speed.

20181018_204806.jpg

Don't get distracted by the 134 knots groundspeed, that's all up to the wind . . . . . My groundspeed range in level cruise is 68 -- 186 knots . . . .

Lessee, I'm at 9500 msl, so IAS is 19% low.

144 + 19% = 171 mph (149.5 KTAS)

According to this, I should have been making 163 mph True another 500' higher. Notice the OAT is 43°F vs Standard Temp of 23°F, reducing power available by 2%. But I'm still 8 mph above book speed.

View attachment 68245

Don't get distracted by the 134 knots groundspeed, that's all up to the wind . . . . . My groundspeed range in level cruise is 68 -- 186 knots . . . .

so wait, why are you going so slow?

I learned like a real pilot but I’m a progressive. In the process of deep sixing my remaining round gauges for another PFD.

Anyone interested in a couple UMA gauges and a TruTrak ADI?
18a1fc34f3fd45a182368602b404572a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Same thing, glass am just pictures of the steam - the little AS and ALT tapes just clunkier to read, the AH bigger and nicer.

Back