What you guys think about this headset to start out with?

trained with a headset?.....many of us trained without a headset. :eek:
I know I trained with that fine paper speaker in the ceiling of the 182! When I flew with a buddy to Destin the first time, he brought a couple headsets and a portable intercom, I thought I had died and went to heaven!! I ended up buying a cheap 4 place portable intercom and a some Sigtronics headsets, I still thought it was great until I got some DC 13.4's and finally went to Bose in 1994 or so. I've used Bose ever since, except the Citation, I had the Airtex 750's? didn't need noise cancelling in it. :D

I'm a techie at heart. I have seen The Bose A20 for $1,000 do they have more features and/or better sound quality than say a 200 pair of headsets?

I'm a techie at heart. I have seen The Bose A20 for $1,000 do they have more features and/or better sound quality than say a 200 pair of headsets?
by far. I used DC's and Softcomms for about 5 hours before my A20s. Never again.

I contacted them a few weeks ago. I believe they had an issue somewhere in the supply chain that has temporarily stopped their production of headphones. I'm waiting for them to get some back so I can buy a set for my daughter.

This is concerning , it's been over a month now and if you occasionally check their FB page they keep mentioning reoccurring email and/or phone issues.

I have a pair of theirs, they are working fine and I am happy with them, just concerns me should I ever require repair work under warranty:(

I am all for supporting small businesses but situations like this is what drives people to,the big expensive brands

by far. I used DC's and Softcomms for about 5 hours before my A20s. Never again.

Actually the Softcomm with the hush kit is a BIG improvement in passive protection.

eBay is your friend, even craigslist sometimes.

I bought two pair of the Telex Echelon 20 headsets a very long time ago. They took me through training and the first couple of years of flight. When one of them broke, I called about it, they said to send it in and they'd give an estimate. After sending them, they sent it back and it was both repaired and cleaned-up, etc., at no charge.

Hi there, I hope to get a clear, easy answer... my son is a freshman aviation student at UND and starts flying in Jan. He has asked for "ears" for Christmas. He told me about the Lightspeed Sierrea and that led me to your forum. Please help an overwhelmed aviation mom. Sierra, Zulu...other? $$$$$

Hi there, I hope to get a clear, easy answer... my son is a freshman aviation student at UND and starts flying in Jan. He has asked for "ears" for Christmas. He told me about the Lightspeed Sierrea and that led me to your forum. Please help an overwhelmed aviation mom. Sierra, Zulu...other? $$$$$

I have a pair of Zulu 2 and Sierras. Both are very good. Sierra is a little cheaper but still a very nice ANR headset.

In addition, Lightspeed's product support is legendary.

What ever model he can afford, if he haven't even earned his ticket yet, I wouldn't buy him expensive headsets, better to cut the umbilical cord now.

What ever model he can afford, if he haven't even earned his ticket yet, I wouldn't buy him expensive headsets, better to cut the umbilical cord now.
It's a Christmas present! I bought my son a used Bose headset for Christmas when he was 15, he still uses them! :D

I'd do the same thing, get on Craig's list, eBay and there's a member here @pigpenracing you'll probably be able to score a Bose or lightspeed.

I got Sigtronics headset when I started training back in 2002. I paid well under $100. After using for passengers etc it was still working great. Last month I donated to a kid with limited financial means who is starting training.

It's a Christmas present! I bought my son a used Bose headset for Christmas when he was 15, he still uses them! :D
I got Sigtronics headset when I started training back in 2002. I paid well under $100. After using for passengers etc it was still working great. Last month I donated to a kid with limited financial means who is starting training.
That is awesome! Thank you.

What ever model he can afford, if he haven't even earned his ticket yet, I wouldn't buy him expensive headsets, better to cut the umbili
How do you feel about DC's?

I've got a Bose A20, an Echelon and some MG Golden Eagles. To be honest, my cheap MGs sound as good as the other two.

I'd never go back to passive after using ANRs. Makes the flight so much more enjoyable and less fatiguing.

On the A20's can you listen to music separately? That means can I listen to AC\DC while my wife listens to Pearl Jam?

DCs are great passive headsets, especially with the comfort kit or Oregon aero kit on them, my backup pair is a set of passive DC 36s with the comfort kit, great set, I actually got then used, like old enough they have the glossy ear cups, bought the full comfort kit, things look new. DCs are basically like the zippo lighter of headsets.

Back