What you don't want to see

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
when you are pre-flighting your P-3

Damn. That can't be cheap?

Did the engine injest something which caused that damage or did the engine just self destruct?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Damn. That can't be cheap?

You're right. And guess who is apying for it? See, Len, you do own a turbine.

It is always exciting to be in the area when one of these does that. NOT!

What did it eat?

My wife is a mechanical engineer in turbomachinery, though her turbines don't go anywhere. I'm sure she'd be interested.

my guess is someone knew before the pre-flight. looks uncontained

Let'sgoflying! said:
my guess is someone knew before the pre-flight. looks uncontained

Yep It came apart in the air, 9700 hours on the turbine 13,7 on the power section.

they are getting a new engine, we'll do an engineering investigation and get more pictures.

Henning said:
On a P-3? No sweat got 3 more, lets fly.

Those days are over, take no chances, get it on the ground. stay on the ground.

That reminds me of the voluntary 3 engine over-the-pole flight a few months ago by the British airlines. I & many others thought; not that big a deal.

Was it debated on POA ?

NC19143 said:
Those days are over, take no chances, get it on the ground. stay on the ground.

Dave Krall CFII said:
That reminds me of the voluntary 3 engine over-the-pole flight a few months ago by the British airlines. I & many others thought; not that big a deal.

Was it debated on POA ?
\

Seen the articles in the latest AOPA Pilot on that incident? Seems they ended up declaring an emergency (due to a fuel pump warning light) to get priority handling and landed at Manchester, 130 NM short of the planned destination of Heathrow. More importantly, I think the article ("Obligated to land) presents a credible case as to how the PIC viloated Part 121.565

Oh, and I bet Henning was kidding ;)

Nope, haven't read it yet, but stared at the cover a long time -great PIX.

We had a big ol' discussion both ways with many opinions on another board, but didn't do a real poll though.

T Bone said:
\

Seen the articles in the latest AOPA Pilot on that incident? Seems they ended up declaring an emergency (due to a fuel pump warning light) to get priority handling and landed at Manchester, 130 NM short of the planned destination of Heathrow. More importantly, I think the article ("Obligated to land) presents a credible case as to how the PIC viloated Part 121.565

Oh, and I bet Henning was kidding ;)

Len Lanetti said:
Yep. With my luck the part I owned was pictured.

Len

That may be, but we got 9700 hours out of it, before it failed. Seldom do we see an in flight failure, we mostly see poor performance, and off it comes. then it's 3 day turn around and your flying. (C phase)

NC19143 said:
That may be, but we got 9700 hours out of it, before it failed. Seldom do we see an in flight failure, we mostly see poor performance, and off it comes. then it's 3 day turn around and your flying. (C phase)

Tom,

Thanks. Keep up the good work. :<)

Len

bbchien said:
I had one of those happen once- it was my #4....

I haven't been able to place hands on this yet, but from we can see it looks like self induced FOD, with the resulting vibration cracking the #4 bearing support all the way around, dropping the turbine rotor until it touched the case. Then the instant friction heat, and Boom.

NTS kicks in and you have one feathered, all before the FE can say "What the ______"

Back