S
Student
Guest
Student pilot with roughly 50 hours at the end of my training about to do check ride soon. I do not want to name the airfield or location for obvious reasons - but we are at about sea level. I was assigned a new instructor recently.
We were conducting our normal pre-flight briefing when I assessed the weather as marginal. The nearest airfield was reporting a low ceiling of 1,500 feet, with forecasts indicating gradual improvement throughout the day. However, at our departure airfield, there was a low cloud layer at approximately 800 feet AGL, with scattered openings.
Based on these conditions, I stated that the flight should be considered a no-go due to weather. The instructor disagreed and stated that they would conduct the takeoff because they were instrument rated. This was my first concern. My understanding is that being instrument rated does not permit flying through clouds without an IFR flight plan and clearance.
We proceeded with takeoff. At approximately 800 feet AGL, we entered a thin cloud layer for about 100–150 feet before breaking out on top. The instructor described this as merely “visible moisture.” This was my second concern.
We conducted the training portion of the flight at 3,000 feet without issue. However, when it was time to return, the cloud layer was still present over our airfield.
Rather than diverting or waiting for improved conditions, the instructor circled the area looking for an opening in the clouds. Upon finding one, they performed a steep descent using forward slip to descend through a small gap, narrowly avoiding entering the clouds. The airspace was Class E, and we were not maintaining the required 1,000 feet above, 500 feet below, and 2,000 feet horizontal cloud clearance.
The instructor greased the landing, and I was concerned that if a go-around had been necessary, we would have entered the cloud layer, as there were no visible openings at the departure end of the runway.
I feel that this instructor is an unsafe pilot and frankly should not be teaching let alone flying. What would you do?
We were conducting our normal pre-flight briefing when I assessed the weather as marginal. The nearest airfield was reporting a low ceiling of 1,500 feet, with forecasts indicating gradual improvement throughout the day. However, at our departure airfield, there was a low cloud layer at approximately 800 feet AGL, with scattered openings.
Based on these conditions, I stated that the flight should be considered a no-go due to weather. The instructor disagreed and stated that they would conduct the takeoff because they were instrument rated. This was my first concern. My understanding is that being instrument rated does not permit flying through clouds without an IFR flight plan and clearance.
We proceeded with takeoff. At approximately 800 feet AGL, we entered a thin cloud layer for about 100–150 feet before breaking out on top. The instructor described this as merely “visible moisture.” This was my second concern.
We conducted the training portion of the flight at 3,000 feet without issue. However, when it was time to return, the cloud layer was still present over our airfield.
Rather than diverting or waiting for improved conditions, the instructor circled the area looking for an opening in the clouds. Upon finding one, they performed a steep descent using forward slip to descend through a small gap, narrowly avoiding entering the clouds. The airspace was Class E, and we were not maintaining the required 1,000 feet above, 500 feet below, and 2,000 feet horizontal cloud clearance.
The instructor greased the landing, and I was concerned that if a go-around had been necessary, we would have entered the cloud layer, as there were no visible openings at the departure end of the runway.
I feel that this instructor is an unsafe pilot and frankly should not be teaching let alone flying. What would you do?