What would you do if you were in a spin

That's what I've always been told, and it makes sense, but a few years back an A&P buddy mentioned that today's gyros have stops to prevent the tumbling. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know any better. :)

:confused: Hitting the stops causes the same forces. Modern gyros are solid state and cannot tumble.

:confused: Hitting the stops causes the same forces. Modern gyros are solid state and cannot tumble.

Ah. Guess I still owe my old mechanic an apology for wearing out the gyros all the time!

Also, I'm obviously so far removed from modern GA that when I said 'today's gyros' I wasn't even thinking of AHRS. Heh!

Ah. Guess I still owe my old mechanic an apology for wearing out the gyros all the time!

Also, I'm obviously so far removed from modern GA that when I said 'today's gyros' I wasn't even thinking of AHRS. Heh!

Two things you can thank Everett Alsanz (aka Chooch) for are the ELT and the AHRS, he invented the first solid state gyro and I'm pretty sure all the current ones run on his patent.

The OP needs to get with an instructor and practice stalls and spins to proficiency, especially the "falling leaf," as they aren't scary at all unless close to the ground.

The only stall that scares the hell out of me is a tailplane stall, cause recovery is opposite wing stall and there doesn't appear to be a safe way to practice it. No flaps with ice....

Last edited:
Hello,

I was speaking to a few experienced pilots online about spins and I noticed all of them didn't say the same thing, (I was thinking they would). They all came up with different concepts to recover from a spin.

What would you do if you were in a spin?, (Except soil your clothes :rofl:)

If you spin at pattern altitude, die.

This is generally correct for FAA certified light single engine aircraft, but as you get into more complex aircraft you will find that it is absolutely not the case. Depending on the aircraft and loading you may want to drop the outside aileron, or apply full power on the outside engine (if you have one), or you may even want to keep the stick all the way back until the rotation stops in order to stop the elevators from destabilizing the airflow around your rudder.

So there is one generally accepted and commonly used technique, but depending on your aircraft that technique may significantly change.

That's why I said 'consult your aircraft POH' - read it again...the guy also didn't say what he was flying, but most of the students and new flyers on this board appear to be flying Cessna 172s or 150s. And PARED applies.

For my aircraft I have yet another option, a ballistic parachute.

I get a kick out the guys that say, "recover."
Funny but that was my reaction too.

For pilots that have 'spun the heck' out of a few planes, a normal recovery from a normal fully developed spin gets kind of natural. Sort of like doing steep turn and reversing direction.

I'm thinking that for pilots that have moved on into aerobatics and serious test flying and such, it gets more complex and their capabilities are beyond what most pilots will ever learn.

For pilots who have never spun I wonder if soiling the seat isn't the most accurate description of recovery from a fully developed spin even though so many planes are so difficult to spin and easy to recover that one will have to clean one own's seat afterwards. :yes:

Pulling the chute seems like the modern answer. Tomorrow some descendant of Otto and George will do it... or prevent it from ever happening again. :sad:

PRAY, then

P-Power to idle
R-Rudder opposite of spin while
A-Ailerons to neutral and push the
Y-Yoke to brake the stall

Once you learn to recognize that initial lateral shift of the seat for what it is and counter it with rudder, you will recover before an event begins. It's like recognizing stall buffet, once you know it, you automatically react to correct before you actually get into a stall. Same for the telltale seat shift that gives away the spin about to break.

I think you actually have a valid point with our engines on the last, but in a pattern spin entry you'll likely already be very low power so getting rotation stopped if immediately aware of what is happening and step on the other rudder, won't be a major issue. If you are at high power, yes, retard the throttle to stop rotation, but by then you're likely so far gone as to be unsalvageable from pattern altitude anyway.

What I wasn't seeing anyone address is coming back into power, if you are low you need to as soon as possible to arrest your sink.

I think this is academic for most pilots, but yes it's very true that you can pull harder and recover with less altitude loss by applying power ASAP. Most airplanes will also stop the spin rotation more quickly with added power than without, but this is not a good technique to teach as emergency spin recovery technique. As far as minimum altitude loss goes, you can even take it a step further and say that you might be better off letting the spin continue to 3/4 of a turn than trying to recover immediately in the first 1/4 turn. Applying recovery inputs at 1/4 turn will have you stopping after about 1/2 turn, which puts you in the steepest on-your-back attitude, which requires the most amount of pitch change to return to level flight. Recovering such that a full rotation is done will put the airplane at the most nose high attitude with the least amount of pitch up required to return to level flight. I've done 1/2-turn and 1-turn spins in the Cub and Pitts trying to recovery each with minimal altitude loss, and the 1-turn spin recovered with the least altitude loss for both. You can recover a 1-turn spin in the Cub in about 350 ft.

Again, all this is mostly academic since pilots who are spinning accidentally in the pattern are unlikely to have the skill or muscle memory to recover so quickly or have the presence of mind to monitor the degree of rotation. I think those who have the skills are not going to go around with much of a chance of spinning in the pattern accidentally. I think everyone should get spin training, but I do not think it's practical to mandate it for PPL training, since there are too few truly qualified instructors and suitable airplanes to make this happen across the board. For dedicated acro/spin instructors, spin training is very safe.

Pull the chute... Someone had to say it :rofl:

You guys are making this way too complicated. I'd just push the "recover" button.

This is a great post. For those who have never done any spins, it's highly educational...go find a CFI with some experience and do a bunch of them.

For those folks saying stick forward, I'd just warn that you can actually end up in a worse situation with aggresive forward stick. As-is pointed out below if you immediately stop the spin you're going to basically be nose down (assuming the spin is not flat...will depend on airplane and loading). If you then jam the stick forward you'll probably end up inverted or at least screaming straight down past Vne.

In both the Cub and Citabria that I've spun, when the rotation stops you almost don't even need to unload the stick. The nose is pointed down and the wings will start flying almost immediately.

Again, YMMV depending on airplane and load but I would generally get the rotation stopped before unloading the wings, and then only unload as-needed to start flying again.

I think this is academic for most pilots, but yes it's very true that you can pull harder and recover with less altitude loss by applying power ASAP. Most airplanes will also stop the spin rotation more quickly with added power than without, but this is not a good technique to teach as emergency spin recovery technique. As far as minimum altitude loss goes, you can even take it a step further and say that you might be better off letting the spin continue to 3/4 of a turn than trying to recover immediately in the first 1/4 turn. Applying recovery inputs at 1/4 turn will have you stopping after about 1/2 turn, which puts you in the steepest on-your-back attitude, which requires the most amount of pitch change to return to level flight. Recovering such that a full rotation is done will put the airplane at the most nose high attitude with the least amount of pitch up required to return to level flight. I've done 1/2-turn and 1-turn spins in the Cub and Pitts trying to recovery each with minimal altitude loss, and the 1-turn spin recovered with the least altitude loss for both. You can recover a 1-turn spin in the Cub in about 350 ft.

Again, all this is mostly academic since pilots who are spinning accidentally in the pattern are unlikely to have the skill or muscle memory to recover so quickly or have the presence of mind to monitor the degree of rotation. I think those who have the skills are not going to go around with much of a chance of spinning in the pattern accidentally. I think everyone should get spin training, but I do not think it's practical to mandate it for PPL training, since there are too few truly qualified instructors and suitable airplanes to make this happen across the board. For dedicated acro/spin instructors, spin training is very safe.

After recovery
Pull up to altitude, go spin the other way.
Apply "Yippie!" as approptiate

Hello,

I was speaking to a few experienced pilots online about spins and I noticed all of them didn't say the same thing, (I was thinking they would). They all came up with different concepts to recover from a spin.

Recover as taught. Why would I soil anything?

Hold it for the required number of turns on the competition sequence card, stop the rotation when I want, set the vertical downline, and then pull out on heading before moving on to the next figure.

Spins are just another maneuver.

'Gimp

Execute the spin recovery procedure for that specific aircraft. Since they aren't all the same, I'd make darn sure before I flew any unfamiliar aircraft that I knew that procedure for that aircraft.

At altitude in most piston singles... put my hands in my lap and feet on the floor and wait for the aircraft to fix my mistake.

Somebody in this thread said "Step on the high wing"

I like this. Easy to remember.

Thanks.

For sure I would get my smart phone and update this thread on the way down.

Hello,

Please explain the "different ways" others mentioned to recover. I'm fascinated!

After recovery
Pull up to altitude, go spin the other way.
Apply "Yippie!" as approptiate

Yep! I'd add: count the turns, start the recovery about a 1/2 turn or so before reaching the desired heading. Establish a good down line, then pull up and go on to the next maneuver.

I was speaking to a few experienced pilots online about spins and I noticed all of them didn't say the same thing

Curl up into the fetal position (which neatly removed both my hands and feet from the controls) cry for ten seconds, and then look out to see that my aircraft (*) had neatly recovered all by itself.

(*) Standard certificated aircraft with known stall characteristics loaded in accordance with the manufacturer's weight and balance instructions.

(*/) [if NOT (*)] I'd curl up into a tight fetal position and kiss my ass goodbye.

Jim

Curl up into the fetal position (which neatly removed both my hands and feet from the controls) cry for ten seconds, and then look out to see that my aircraft (*) had neatly recovered all by itself.

(*) Standard certificated aircraft with known stall characteristics loaded in accordance with the manufacturer's weight and balance instructions.

(*/) [if NOT (*)] I'd curl up into a tight fetal position and kiss my ass goodbye.

Jim

That'll move the CG rearward and it'll take slightly longer. :)

Others have mentioned the only way I know to recover. It's the standard one. But please list the " other ones you've heard of" you must remember them.

Please look at previous posts and you will see the different ways!

Variations on a theme != different ways to do something.

In some form or another, most have mentioned engine power as appropriate (usually off), neutralizing the ailerons, using rudder to stop rotation, and then breaking the dive.

Others have brought up that most GA planes will self recover- also valid, but not a guaranteed or positive recovery technique.

Back